Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you contest the attributes I raised?

You clearly have not read caesar88 repeatedly waxing lyrical about how a solid B Grader who has a couple of strong attributes is somehow elite.

I contest that Sheldrick going end of this year can be compared to a dual brownlow , norm smith winning, team of the century player Greg Williams leaving the club.

Sheldrick has played a couple of times and yes looks ok, but he was hardly as much as an instant impact as even guys like Heeney and Gulden. People need to cool their jets imo, he may not even make it as an AFL player.

Is he promising? yes, but gee settle

Wowzers I don't think Jesus got this much hype when he came back from the dead

* Won the club rising star last year.

* Swan's player survey at this year said Gus was the bloke about to have a break-out year (not Roberts, Konstanty, Mitchell, Corey, or anyone else).

* Nathan Buckley is on record saying he thinks he'll be a star of the comp.

Its not just aimless Bigfooty hype.

He's just been horribly unlucky with injury - if he didn't have the long term setbacks, I see no way he's not in the team now. However, caesar88 is right - these formative years are critical from an overall career perspective. If West Coast dangle something lucrative ..... he'd be guaranteed best XXII there from day 1 & a move home might (?) be appealing. I've also been told Gus has been a bit frustrated that he's not one of "Horse's favourites yet".

Having said that - all the indications are that Gus is very highly rated within the club - I can't envisage a scenario where the Swans just shrug & wish him well in his future endeavours.

PS: If I was prone to injury, the last thing I'd want to do is train & play on Optus. Gus - if you're reading this ..... take it into account! :)

Last edited:
I contest that Sheldrick going end of this year can be compared to a dual brownlow , norm smith winning, team of the century player Greg Williams leaving the club.

Sheldrick has played a couple of times and yes looks ok, but he was hardly as much as an instant impact as even guys like Heeney and Gulden. People need to cool their jets imo, he may not even make it as an AFL player.

Is he promising? yes, but gee settle

He is a young player with a broad elite skill base.

* Won the club rising star last year.

* Swan's player survey at this year said Gus was the bloke about to have a break-out year (not Roberts, Konstanty, Mitchell, Corey, or anyone else).

* Nathan Buckley is on record saying he thinks he'll be a star of the comp.

Its not just aimless Bigfooty hype.

He's just been horribly unlucky with injury - if he didn't have the long term setbacks, I see no way he's not in the team now. However, caesar88 is right - these formative years are critical from an overall career perspective. If West Coast dangle something lucrative ..... he'd be guaranteed best XXII there from day 1 & a move home might (?) be appealing. I've also been told Gus has been a bit frustrated that he's not one of "Horse's favourites yet".

Having said that - all the indications are that Gus is very highly rated within the club - I can't envisage a scenario where the Swans just shrug & wish him well in his future endeavours.

Heard this before with plenty of kids who didn't make it.

I am talking about a comparison to us losing Greg Williams though , cmon just because Buckley said he looks good?

We can go back over the last 20 years and find highly touted kids who had a bit of hype.

People expect a lot from him

He is a young player with a broad elite skill base.

He is young and looks ok, wouldn't say I saw elite skills, he may well end up a star . time will tell.

Played 9 games

Heard this before with plenty of kids who didn't make it.

I am talking about a comparison to us losing Greg Williams though , cmon just because Buckley said he looks good?

We can go back over the last 20 years and find highly touted kids who had a bit of hype.

People expect a lot from him
Yeah, the Greg Williams comparison is a tad OTT.

I'd say it'd fall somewhere between the loss of Craig Bird & Judas Dawson.

The Sheldrick conundrum.
We have created this by our own actions.
We want to win a premiership so we trade in two experienced mids who are going to be ahead of Gus to the extent that Parker is playing VFL and Mills is likely to be playing in defence.
This is the consequence of depth. Good players not getting senior games.
We asked for it and we got it.
Should Gus wait until Parker and Adams retire? No way! Play his heart out and head off to WC who need him badly. It's the only sensible thing to do career wise. I hope he goes this year as that would be the greatest benefit to all parties.

The Sheldrick conundrum.
We want to win a premiership so we trade in two experienced mids who are going to be ahead of Gus to the extent that Parker is playing VFL and Mills is likely to be playing in defence.
Should Gus wait until Parker and Adams retire? No way! Play his heart out and head off to WC who need him badly. It's the only sensible thing to do career wise. I hope he goes this year as that would be the greatest benefit to all parties.
Jeez KC, you're killin' me here.

Jeez KC, you're killin' me here.
I get that but I just can't see Gus playing a decent block of seniors for quite a long time. He's too good a player to spend that period in VFL when he could be a key mid. WC have the greatest need and better them than a Vic or SA club IMO. If he goes this year it's a trade so we get something. We'd get SFA for a compo pick. Swans have generally been pretty good at dealing in players best interests.
As Sting sang "If you love someone, set them free".

I get that but I just can't see Gus playing a decent block of seniors for quite a long time. He's too good a player to spend that period in VFL when he could be a key mid. WC have the greatest need and better them than a Vic or SA club IMO. If he goes this year it's a trade so we get something. We'd get SFA for a compo pick. Swans have generally been pretty good at dealing in players best interests.
As Sting sang "If you love someone, set them free".
Sting also sang "Can't Stand Losing You".

:(

PS: he was apparently tagged in his earlier years too, which was the inspiration for "Don't Stand So Close To Me".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Sheldrick conundrum.

On the flip side he hasn't been fit and playing well, he has been hurt. Possibly there isn't a frustration there as much as there otherwise might be.

First rounder.

Ball magnet, kicks both feet, distributes well by hand and foot, footy IQ, one of the toughest tacklers at the Club, brave, good burst of speed and evasion skills…. an all round footballer.

Imo would be our worse player loss since Diesel Williams. A disaster for the Club.
You're not getting a first round pick for somone who has not cemented his spot in best 22 and has only played 9 games.

I think if Sheldrick stays with the Swans then his best bet is to try and add more strings to his bow. Work on his forward craft so he can play as a forward, build his tank so he can spend time on the wing, etc. Just give himself more avenues into the best 22.

If he's gonna stay purely an inside mid then I think he's gonna be waiting a long time and/or reliant on an injury, because Heeney, Rowbottom, Warner & Gulden won't be going anywhere for years.

I think this is why he didn't get selected earlier this year even when there were spots available and he was fit. If he played in the 22, his role would likely be probably 40/60 midfield/forward (or wing) split that Adams currently has, and for Horse & co, there are better players for that 60 than Sheldrick.

He would be mad not to really. He walks into their midfield next year if healthy.
Behind 3 for his spot here unless we make some changes, which likely we don't given his unfortunate injury record.
Would be a real shame to lose such a promising player.

Sorry, but I just hate this idea that as soon as you have to fight for your spot in the team, you should look to bail to a hopeless club.

Angus hasn't played a lot of senior football because he can't stay healthy for more than a few weeks at a time. Not because he can't get an opportunity.

He is going to be really really good if he gets a decent injury run and there is no way I would be giving him up under contract unless the offer from West Coast or anyone else was very significant.

I think if Sheldrick stays with the Swans then his best bet is to try and add more strings to his bow. Work on his forward craft so he can play as a forward, build his tank so he can spend time on the wing, etc. Just give himself more avenues into the best 22.

If he's gonna stay purely an inside mid then I think he's gonna be waiting a long time and/or reliant on an injury, because Heeney, Rowbottom, Warner & Gulden won't be going anywhere for years.

I think this is why he didn't get selected earlier this year even when there were spots available and he was fit. If he played in the 22, his role would likely be probably 40/60 midfield/forward (or wing) split that Adams currently has, and for Horse & co, there are better players for that 60 than Sheldrick.
He doesn't need to change his game, he just needs to stay healthy for an extended period and he will be in the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back