Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Remove this Banner Ad

Other than the evidence that he has already done so?
Once? We might as well bring Ben Ronke back!

Whilst I agree with dosser that Sheldrick has the right attributes for it, I think there is more to Wicks' role than gets spoken about. Understanding forward structures, how they set-up, their leading patterns, the connection between the mids and the forwards, playing your role as much off the ball as with it.

I think if Horse felt Wicks wasn't delivering in all of those facets then he'd turn to Fox before he would turn to Sheldrick, as Fox played the role pretty well earlier in the year.

Once? We might as well bring Ben Ronke back!

Whilst I agree with dosser that Sheldrick has the right attributes for it, I think there is more to Wicks' role than gets spoken about. Understanding forward structures, how they set-up, their leading patterns, the connection between the mids and the forwards, playing your role as much off the ball as with it.

I think if Horse felt Wicks wasn't delivering in all of those facets then he'd turn to Fox before he would turn to Sheldrick, as Fox played the role pretty well earlier in the year.

Multiple times even, is now more mature and has played more footy

Of course that's part of forward line footy and Wicks has more afl level exp but despite that, and being in a winning team, isnt producing much. Clarke played forward till getting delisted.

Fox forward was innafective

Gus is so clearly the 4th Musketeer of the mids with Errol, Warner and Isaac to continue the fanfic C88 writes about Rowy who is a fine B+ soldier with Adams, JMac etc
rowbottom "B+"!!?? oh man, come on ... i usually agree with most of your footy opinions, but just ... give it up, you've lost that one ... rowbottom is an elite member of our elite midfield ...

rowbottom "B+"!!?? oh man, come on ... i usually agree with most of your footy opinions, but just ... give it up, you've lost that one ... rowbottom is an elite member of our elite midfield ...

No probs. Reckon I probably have a very high bar for A graders…. Have Errol, Mills, Heeney and Warner and that is all . Grundy is a great B+ for example on my scale.

I am delighted we have so many B+ types. It is not an insult but a compliment.

Of our four A graders I reckon only Errol has the potential to be a champion of the game.

So what you're saying is the idea should be entertained?
I think DQ says he does not have enough experience in the small forward role.
Opportunity knocks if an opening arises. He can if given an opportunity I think.
Not ideal for a guy who has elite credentials as an inside mid.
Like Roberts if opportunities do not arise in a players forte, there can be sideways moves into the team.

Once in the team.....

There's little point bothering.

I think DQ says he does not have enough experience in the small forward role.
Opportunity knocks if an opening arises. He can if given an opportunity I think.
Not ideal for a guy who has elite credentials as an inside mid.
Like Roberts if opportunities do not arise in a players forte, there can be sideways moves into the team.

Once in the team.....
My post was an (unfortunately poor) attempt at humour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My post was an (unfortunately poor) attempt at humour.
There is no answer, no way forward in any argument, no question cannot be dismissed, no point of view is valid or invalid regarding Gus. He has to get back out on the park and show us what he is good at.

Until then it is all just more of the above. Conjecture.

We all want him to show us what he can do.

We want it. Seems like a lovely bloke too.

Makes it all the more we want him to succeed.

Parker has 1 more year after this. Adams 1 more after that. Premierships happening. Sheldrick coming through behing them adding more premierships is what we Swans supporters want more of.

My question is, what's his point of difference to Cleary? For me, they are fairly similar types, so do we need both of them on the list?
Cleary played out of position and looked alright. When Sheldrick played as a forward this board almost rioted.

Sheldrick's lack of flexibility means he has to wait for one of our central mids to go down.

Cleary it's easier to move the magnets around to make space

Multiple times even, is now more mature and has played more footy

Of course that's part of forward line footy and Wicks has more afl level exp but despite that, and being in a winning team, isnt producing much. Clarke played forward till getting delisted.

Fox forward was innafective

I really want a bruiser of a HFF. The kind that has the fitness to be a mid but goes about it a bit differently. A bit like Dylan Moore with some Zurhaar. Libba when he does it.

I think Sheldrick has a chance there.

No pressure on Sheldrick but if he can be that guy... happy days

I wonder what, if any, impact Robert's extension has on Sheldrick's position. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out.
How in anyway are they linked? Roberts will take over from Lloyd at half back when he retires in a couple of years. Gus is a midfielder and thus his best bet is to get in at Adams spot

How in anyway are they linked? Roberts will take over from Lloyd at half back when he retires in a couple of years. Gus is a midfielder and thus his best bet is to get in at Adams spot
"If any". Many will think that Gus is ahead in the pecking order but perhaps he isn't. So far there is no noise about extending Gus. 🤔

I am not having for a second that we should even consider letting Angus go.

We desperately need a contested ball winning inside mid. Fremantle owned us inside today when the game was hot and it has been the same story in games we lose for as long as I can remember.

Sheldrick can be a 10 year player for us and should be a priority to retain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back