Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

When you choose a captain, you need to tick off at least a few things.
1. Automatic selection - he shouldn't be.
2. Leads on track and over the preseason - dont know, assume he does
3 . Media and supporter groups - no profile that we can see but could do the supporter stuff, idk.
4. Coach on field, steps up in crisis - no evidence - actually panics.
5. Doesnt have to star but can make almost no mistakes - clearly fails this. Terrible mistakes.
6. Does small things well - again,fail
7. Drives standards on field - holds team mates accountable.
8. Leads by personal playing example - can be by starring offensively or more importantly with courage/defensive effort.

He maybe ticks off one. Captains need to be conpletely dependable. Thats why he cant be captain and should never have been. Having corr and lmac as leaders is holding us back so badly, whatever the players say.
I suspect this will change over the off season.

His old man still buzzes around the club like a fly to shit, wouldn't be surprised if he somehow gets extended beyond 2026..

Donald still employed

I think much like Dodoro at Essendon, Donald knows where the dead bodies are and if he were to go it would all come out

I was in Hobart that day - was my birthday and it was amazing!

But that's one game in a career of almost 200 games where he's performed like a top 10 draft pick. It's not remotely good enough.

Perhaps some blame need to be put on successive coaches in that majority of them only saw mcdonald's surface value and lacked vision. If a malthouse or clarkson was to be his coach from early days, he could have turned into an attacking midfielder for all we know. Now his playing style has consolidated to become an average skilled medium defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps some blame need to be put on successive coaches in that majority of them only saw mcdonald's surface value and lacked vision. If a malthouse or clarkson was to be his coach from early days, he could have turned into an attacking midfielder for all we know. Now his playing style has consolidated to become an average skilled medium defender.
His best season came after Shaw got into him about getting fitter then appeared to use him in a way that benefited from that fitness.

Please, lord almighty, double down on whatever the **** he was doing in the weeks prior to this rather than this last game. The blood rushes to his head are absolute career killers, and them being by one of our senior players, a captain no less, is enough to cause despair. if the best he can do these days is by being a dour lockdown defender then please just stick to that. KISS to the extreme. I'd rather he handball to an opponent's feet than ever kick long again.

Father-Son.
BFNAAK.
Pick 8.
Syd Barker medalist.
Co-Captain.

Yet consistently puts his hand up to be ranked as one of our worst senior players most weeks, for a longer period than I want to even think about. He's only 29. With 2 years to go on his contract. ****.

Moving past this guy will be part of our next step forward. He has been serviceable these past few weeks or so but I don't think he can rise above that. With Jy out last Sunday he needed to step up as captain (especially in the last) and pretty much did the opposite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back