Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m actually surprised we’re not using Lmac in the run with player role.

From he did fair bit in his BnF year. Would be such an upgrade it’s not funny.

been saying for ages should be the tagger. Has the tank and is quicker then both shiells and phillips. Last week he struggled but giving him credit that he played pretty well in the weeks leading up. hopefully it was an off week

I’m actually surprised we’re not using Lmac in the run with player role.

From he did fair bit in his BnF year. Would be such an upgrade it’s not funny.
Agree LMac is a very limited player in that backline & at his age has reached his max ceiling. He’s skills are not up to it for the modern game.
I have noticed a vast change in his game this season where he has recognised his weaknesses which we all know are mainly skills based & decision making and now uses his teammates nearby as an easier first option release when he has the ball. Not so many try to break tackles , rush handballs to teammates feet & wild helicopter kicks anywhere or at best down the line to a contest.
I think 1 on 1 he can defend , tackle , pressure & can take a courageous intercept mark when required.
Wether that’s enough to keep his spot in the modern game where defenders are also expected to start offence from the back half is enough? Especially when the likes of better defenders & users like Hardeman , Kerch , Fisher Bergman & Goater mature and come of age in the next year or 2 ? Time & Clarko will tell.
But I think sadly think Lmacs days are numbered. (No matter who he’s dad is)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has served the club for a long time but it is imperative that we move past this guy soon. I don't care what Donald has to say about it. You just cannot have your co-captain be such a momentum killer.

Stood up a number of times last night. Got to have a whipping boy. Allow it to evolve.

Obviously you blokes don’t credit the fact that his instructional talk out there might be really helping the rest of the defence perform the way it has in the last couple of weeks?

His teammates aren’t idiots - they elected him Captain and respect his effort and what he brings.

So perhaps you don’t know everything that goes on - he’s been great since he called it out in Hobart.

He’s allowed to make mistakes, not everyone’s a Hall of Famer.

If we ditch McDonald who's going to be calling for the seagull passes to no-ones benefit or running in to ruffle a players hair. He's finished now that he can't just call for the ball and stand in the tackle with no effort to dispose. Use the rest of the season to get a few games into one of the kids.

Attention all North Bigfooty followers McDonald will be playing the rest of this year and will start Round 1 in 2025 in the North AFL as he is protected.
By all rights should be in the VFL but won’t be.
The only way it won’t happen if we take away the list voting rights to name the captain and Clarkson sees the light to stand up to his mate Donald and the rest of his mates to make the hard decision to play him in the VFL.

I fully agree that in the short-medium term he should not be playing, he simply isn’t up to it. However. there is currently nobody in the twos consistently doing enough to push him out of the side, and while we are playing such a young and inexperienced back 6 (and team) his selection does make sense, despite his many, many shortcomings.

Next year you would really hope and fully expect that one of Bergman, Goater or Hardeman can force him out.

His commitment was never in doubt. Couple of good moments last night.

But if you watch carefully - teams go through his man.

Smalls easily sidestep him, talls get a couple of quick steps off him and out mark him.

Take away his defensive contribution and you then have to look at his work with ball in hand..

Attitude A+, place in senior team on output TBC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back