Player Watch Lachlan Murphy - 100 Games!

Remove this Banner Ad

He's made it to 100 games while averaging fewer disposals than the acceptable level for Darcy Fogarty (according to some on this board)

One memorable game. When he played dead and let Dawson take the kick for goal that beat PA. I cant recall too many other moments but still a feat achieving 100.

At least DMac was just super average - you play him and you know what you'll get: not a match winner but he probably won't f* up to much either.

Murphy is legitimately poor for his position.

He's made it to 100 games while averaging fewer disposals than the acceptable level for Darcy Fogarty (according to some on this board)

Not good reading looking at overall stats:

Murphy 99 games - 11.2 disposals on average for .7 goals.
FOG 80 games - 9.4 disposals on average for 1.5 goals a game.

Maybe - the criticism of FOG hasn't been completely unfounded. I mean most of the board was just fine with us moving on Shane McAdam who averaged 9.6 disposals on average for 1.4 goals a game. I would say both Fog and Murphy have been pretty underwhelming in their first 6 seasons at our club.

Not good reading looking at overall stats:

Murphy 99 games - 11.2 disposals on average for .7 goals.
FOG 80 games - 9.4 disposals on average for 1.5 goals a game.

Maybe - the criticism of FOG hasn't been completely unfounded. I mean most of the board was just fine with us moving on Shane McAdam who averaged 9.6 disposals on average for 1.4 goals a game. I would say both Fog and Murphy have been pretty underwhelming in their first 6 seasons at our club.
Misleading comparison. Key position players take longer so early years will bring the averages down and we know Fog really didn’t come good except when he broke out during 2022. In the last 2 years he averaging a goal a game more which is over 20 goals a year, nothing to sneeze at. Fog also has to compete with a Tex centric forward line.

Murphy’s disposals should be more given he gets to roam all over the place unchecked.

You’re the poster who pulled out the bullshit magical benchmark of 14 disposals for Fog aren’t you?

Rowe Snr was a decent player from all reports
Rowey was dominant as a rover for Norwood in 1990. Won the Club Champion that year. Regularly got 30 plus touches with 20+ of them being kicks. At the crows in 1991-93 he rarely got much of a go but when Cornes called upon him he rarely let you down. I remember his 4 goals in 1993 against Brisbane one of his best.

I have no problem understanding players like Murphy play games. What I'll never understand is how he can be valued as if he has a meaningful positive influence on potential success. We lock in these fringevdwellers as if they're important cogs, but reality is that a half decent early 2nd rounder would bring little less week to week and potentially much more medium term.
You can argue you can fit in one "effort" player into the leadership group, the guy who shows everyone the hard work that needs to be done on and off the field in order to succeed at the highest level. We have that with Ben Keays.

The fact we're adding Murphy in on top probably highlights that we're continuing to rate effort over talent when there needs to be a more fluid mix of the two

Misleading comparison. Key position players take longer so early years will bring the averages down and we know Fog really didn’t come good except when he broke out during 2022. In the last 2 years he averaging a goal a game more which is over 20 goals a year, nothing to sneeze at. Fog also has to compete with a Tex centric forward line.

Murphy’s disposals should be more given he gets to roam all over the place unchecked.

FOG is still yet to kick 40 goals in a season and its not like he is a spring chicken and will be 25 at the end of this year.

Hopefully this is the year he breaks out. Fair to say he has been underwhelming even with all the excuses you lot love to throw about.

You’re the poster who pulled out the bullshit magical benchmark of 14 disposals for Fog aren’t you?

Sure am - and what a glorious stat it was. From memory (and I could be wrong) he was one of the only players in AFL history to play 50 games without getting over 14 disposals.

To be honest - it was part of a broader argument in 2022 about how FOG had been disappointing, but these things tend to get drawn out and one particular angle gets really focused on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back