Preview Gold Coast Suns v Adelaide Crows, Saturday 16th of March, People First Stadium, Gold Coast, 7.40pm Adelaide time.

Who will be the sub?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

All the negativity around Scholl, I think he has come into the preseason really well. Yes he will fatigue and his form will drop and in turn need to be dropped, but that's fine in a squad of players. Some guys start strongly and fade, some start and then fade and then come back, some are troopers.
It's only cos he's had some awful games, with worse moments.
The news in the preseason was that he's done well, so maybe he will have a breakout season.

Clearly the coaches think he's been good enough, so good luck to him.

There are a few guys who are vying for those last 2 spots, so hopefully some of them step up and make them their own.

I reckon sub should be the player on the way out.
Last chance for them to make an impact.
Bringing an inform player in to get half a game doesn’t seem ideal to me.
I’d prob go a guy we don’t really want in the team but commits to the sub role well and performs it well

Someone like Ned who I wouldn’t pick in starting 22 unless we had lots of injuries , has some decent form as sub

Sholl is another I don’t really want in starting side but would be happy as sub

Guys that can torch people late in games with their running

Even though down at three quarter time, if Carlton run over the top of Richmond as I suspect, it will certainly only further confirm our decision of not taking somewhat injured older players or underdone players to the Gold Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the negativity around Scholl, I think he has come into the preseason really well. Yes he will fatigue and his form will drop and in turn need to be dropped, but that's fine in a squad of players. Some guys start strongly and fade, some start and then fade and then come back, some are troopers.

I actually back the idea of using the squad effectively and rotating players. We might even move to a model of rotating Laird and Crouch throughout the season, giving these players rests across certain games so they can go harder for longer.

We've been here before with Sholl where he's had a good preseason, then fades as the year goes on. Equally there wasn't much to say he's solved his Achillies heel in the offseason which is he lacks strength.

I get why coaches would like Sholl. As a winger, the upside is there as he'll run all day, flashed a good amount of accumulation in what can be an inconsistent position to do so and is always willing to change the angles and look inside. He'd be a damn fine winger if he had a solid contested game and could reliably defend.

Nah, we won't move to a model where we rest Crouch or Laird. Too important, especially when the only day that matters in football is today. We may move to one where we're willing to give them limited midfield minutes against the puss of the league though.

Rebuild is done. Its time to start winning.

Bingo.

Any notion of us "'rebuilding" ended once Jordan Dawson broke out as an elite midfielder.

Mind you, a rebuild isn't about risks. It's just about purposely kneecapping your list to allow a side to be s**t to get top tier draft picks and building a core of players . A coach knows their list, what they want to do and who they like. The notion of "try this kid out, who knows if he'll be good" is just straight up nonsense. If they were good enough to demand it, they'd be lighting up.

Last edited:
Bingo.

Any notion of us "'rebuilding" ended once Jordan Dawson broke out as an elite midfielder.

Mind you, a rebuild isn't about risks. It's just about purposely kneecapping your list to allow a side to be s**t to get top tier draft picks and building a core of players . A coach knows their list, what they want to do and who they like. The notion of "try this kid out, who knows if he'll be good" is just straight up nonsense. If they were good enough to demand it, they'd be lighting up.

Our current core as it stands right now is made up almost entirely of players we had before the rebuild, and Dawson

Our starting midfield is O'Brien, Laird, Crouch (all pre-rebuild players) and Dawson. Our two main KPFs are Walker and Fogarty (pre-rebuild). Our KPDs are Butts (pre-rebuild) and Murray (SSP)

Seven of our eight leadership group players are pre-rebuild

We simply have not finished transitioning our top draft picks we "purposely kneecapped" the side for into core players. Thilthorpe is currently our third tall forward, we've got Pedlar and Rachele in largely fringe forward roles, Curtin, Cook and Edwards can't make the team, Michalanney is a back pocket and Soligo (who we contracted for 6 years) is firming as the sub

So far the rebuild has mostly been adding players around the edges of what we already had, not transitioning the core.

The rebuild won't be done until the players we rebuilt for make the team theirs

A rebuild being done before we make finals* is certainly ambitious

*our side is made up entirely of players available to us last year (except Burgess)
Rebuild is done when you contend for Finals so we are probably a few years ahead given this was a total rebuild and was always going to take longer than the usual rebuild timeframe, the only unknown is Walker as he is still a very important player and is near retirement.

Its really hard to gauge exactly where the first team sits for quality in comparison to other variations. So Im going to not make a judgement just yet. Ultimately a winning team is a good team. The loss of Walker is the most interesting. It will be the first real opportunity Nicks has to test a post Walker forward line line up...sadly without Thilthorpe.

Back