Preview Changes: R19 vs Dees, Sunday July 23rd 2:50pm ACST @ MCG

How many unforced changes will we make?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You're not serious in suggesting Hately is better than Crouch ? ......and I'm glad Crouch will be off the list this year, but Hately will also be joining him .....Crouch will see this opportunity as an advertisement to other Clubs, for next year

AFL game time is THE most valuable thing for our young players to experience.

Nicks continues to waste this valuable resource on players who are on the pile. Last year it was Crouch, Davis and Rowe.

We have already wasted another game on Crouch this year.

For the life of me - I simply cannot understand why we can't run Dawson, Keays, Sloane, Schoenberg, Pedlar, Jones, Ned - shit even Rankine through there rather than going to a guy we are going to move on at the end of the year.

Nicks continues to waste this valuable resource on players who are on the pile. Last year it was Crouch, Davis and Rowe.

For the life of me - I simply cannot understand why we can't run Dawson, Keays, Sloane, Schoenberg, Pedlar, Jones, Ned - s**t even Rankine through there rather than going to a guy we are going to move on at the end of the year.
On paper ...on potential, I can understand your frustration

Trouble is, footy teams are based on team balance .....it's like picking 22 mids, it doesn't work

I've led the anti-Crouch chorus for 4 years now .....and LOL, I was abused at times for that POV

Problem is, Pedlar we should be happy to get him thru a full season .....lets not break him now !
Schoenberg, Ned, and Berry have all had their detractors this year, based on lacklustre performances ......if in form, there's no doubt Berry should have been preferred over Crouch ......illness, ave SANFL form, and missing a week, meant he was never a realistic option

What we can't do, is run Sloane & Crouch in the same midfield rotations ......that's just a bog slow midfield

My heart's set on seeing Rankine having more CBA's

You're not serious in suggesting Hately is better than Crouch ? ......and I'm glad Crouch will be off the list this year, but Hately will also be joining him .....Crouch will see this opportunity as an advertisement to other Clubs, for next year
Like last year, no ones buying what Crouch is selling

For the life of me - I simply cannot understand why we can't run Dawson, Keays, Sloane, Schoenberg, Pedlar, Jones, Ned - s**t even Rankine through there rather than going to a guy we are going to move on at the end of the year.
MCG games extra valuable

Who has more upside?

Sholl is a 54 game player who is put of form. Or maybe wysiwyg?

Parnell has 15 games in total. 4 this year.

Career stats are pretty comparable. Average same number of turnovers and both have decent d.e. and 1.something clangers per game not attributed to frees against.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
To be perfectly honest I'm not too sure either really are best 22 players in a good team. Both very lightly framed, Parnell the better speed, Sholl the better endurance.

Parnell has gone from a very good kick to a turnover merchant this season, especially since his concussion.

Hopefully come draft time we've finally learnt that the lightly built guys are still going to struggle even after a few years of hitting the weights.

Even if you have some elite traits it's hard to cope with the extra defensive attention when you're significantly smaller than you're opponent.

Also Sholl's already surpassed 50 games... somewhat surprised but mostly disappointed if we've spent that much opportunity on someone not to easily make the best 22.

And with Laird out, a very young midfield will get torched by Melbourne, then we will turn to Dawson Keayes and Sloane for CBAs.

Where the hell is this idea of a very young midfield coming from?

Here were our CBA's by non ruck man last weekend:

76% attendance by Rory Laird
81% attendance by Jordan Dawson
81% attendance by Ben Keays
57% attendance by Rory Sloane

Thats 2 players who are 26 years old who have played over 100 afl games , 1 who is 29 years old (219 games) and one who is 33 years old.

Whoops I forgot the 5% attendance by Luke Pedlar.

Either scenario above is not going to help development.

No its not.

Why not use this game and have Keays go into the Laird role. Keays was our #2 clearance player in both 2021/2022 and can find the ball.

Dawson/Keays will be primary midfielder. Then you can use the other midfield time on Sloane, Rankine, Jones, Schoenberg and McHenry who have all had at least one centre bounce attendance this year.

Whilst not particularly happy Crouch is in, he has come in for the one player he can replace.

One aspect to him being in is seeing how he can play that pure inside mid role. Yes he is a crab, first look sideways. But if he is able to be more attacking he could be useful.

His close in handballing and inside mid craft is better than Laird.

Having said that, I prefer Hately gets that chance. He too is a pure inside mid.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This was all true 6 years ago but it's 2023 now

The 1st sentence requires a qualifier if you don't want to "Jack Watts" the kids.

I'm trying to make sense of the team we've selected here and how we're planning to win?

Laird is out, so he's been replaced by a 'like-for-like' distributor in Crouch?
Sholl omitted so replaced on the wing by Cook
Rachele suspended, so replaced forward pinch hitting mid by Keays?
Keays out of the main mid rotation, so replaced in it by Schoenberg?
Michalanney rested, so I presume replaced in defence by Parnell?

Seems odd. I presume Keays is effectively dropped from the midfield and 'recalled' as a forward as he actually has a second position unlike Crouch/Harry, and those two & Dawson will play mainly mids with Sloane the 4th guy and maybe Keays/Pedlar pinch hitting?

And one of McHenry/Murphy sub and the other playing? Yuck.

I know we don't like Keays (I'm still cool with him), but it'd feel way less regressive to play him as a full time mid instead of Crouch (or even Schoenberg) and then play both of McHenry/Murphy as forwards. Or pick Soligo and give him a run as a full time mid. Sounds like Nank's not getting a game which is a shame. Waiting worked for Worrell, but can't help but feel he's ready and has the traits we want.

Believe it or not we have a 26-0-18 record against Melbourne. Recently we have won 7 out of the last 14, 8 of the last 16, 9 of the last 18 and 10 of the last 20!

Under Nicks we are 1-0-3; the win being a memorable 1 point come from behind win with a run of Tex/Fog/Tex goals in the last 10 min or so to seal it. Oliver, Lever and Keays picked up the Brownlow votes.

Last year they came to visit us without a recognised ruckman, but still won by 29 points despite losing the hitouts by 57 to 13!

Fritsch and Oliver the key missing players for them from that side; Spargo and Petty have been handy for them also. Gawn and possibly Grundy the key ins.

We have Berry, Doedee, Rachele, Rowe, Sholl and Soligo confirmed removals from that side, Hately, Murphy, Parnell and TT are on the extended bench.

Worrell, Cook, McAdam, Pedlar, Rankine and Crouch the confirmed ins; Sloane, McHenry, Nankervis and Himmelberg on the pine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Believe it or not we have a 26-0-18 record against Melbourne. Recently we have won 7 out of the last 14, 8 of the last 16, 9 of the last 18 and 10 of the last 20!

Under Nicks we are 1-0-3; the win being a memorable 1 point come from behind win with a run of Tex/Fog/Tex goals in the last 10 min or so to seal it. Oliver, Lever and Keays picked up the Brownlow votes.

Last year they came to visit us without a recognised ruckman, but still won by 29 points despite losing the hitouts by 57 to 13!

Fritsch and Oliver the key missing players for them from that side; Spargo and Petty have been handy for them also. Gawn and possibly Grundy the key ins.

We have Berry, Doedee, Rachele, Rowe, Sholl and Soligo confirmed removals from that side, Hately, Murphy, Parnell and TT are on the extended bench.

Worrell, Cook, McAdam, Pedlar, Rankine and Crouch the confirmed ins; Sloane, McHenry, Nankervis and Himmelberg on the pine.
I mentioned this earlier in the week. I strangely have a better feeling about this game then I did against both GWS and Essendon.

I've hated the Bomber and Giants matchups for us in recent years, we just seem completely unable to stop them when they get on runs.

I'm picking the Demons in my tips, but might put a cheeky bet on the Crows at 3.57:1

I mentioned this earlier in the week. I strangely have a better feeling about this game then I did against both GWS and Essendon.

I've hated the Bomber and Giants matchups for us in recent years, we just seem completely unable to stop them when they get on runs.

I'm picking the Demons in my tips, but might put a cheeky bet on the Crows at 3.57:1
season 4 netflix GIF by Fuller House

1-3 in years they made finals playing them at the MCG

MCG games extra valuable
We at most get 2 games at the MCG a year, so they are incredibly valuable for the young guys to gain experience.

Largely because of our terrible management, Soligo & Max are both going to miss this experience.

We are just incapable of planning or thinking ahead.

Hopefully come draft time we've finally learnt that the lightly built guys are still going to struggle even after a few years of hitting the weights.

Even if you have some elite traits it's hard to cope with the extra defensive attention when you're significantly smaller than you're opponent.

Also Sholl's already surpassed 50 games... somewhat surprised but mostly disappointed if we've spent that much opportunity on someone not to easily make the best 22.
We do this all the time with playing people who are destined for delisting.

See James Rowe last year - he played plenty of games and then got delisted. Surely we had an inkling he was gone half way through the season and shouldn't waste games on him, but nope, we kept playing him.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm guessing Cook will get a run of 3-4 games then?

Right?

200w.gif

What’s a pass mark for him? 15 touches 3-4 marks 3-4 tackles?
He has to actually do something now he is given the chance - I really liked him when he first came in but has seemed really soft watching his Sanfl efforts

No one expects him to get another game with a 10 touch effort do they? he isn’t a first year rookie

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back