Rules you would like to see implemented

Remove this Banner Ad

Used to be right around this until someone rightly pointed out, people would just never try to dispose of it more regularly and let the tackle happen and therw would be 1 million ball-ups
But the player would still need to try to dispose of it, similar to union

Dead ball rule like in Union at end of play

I.e. quarter time/half-time/three-quarter time/full time siren is a warning; ball is still live when siren sounds, until it is "dead" again; a goal is scored or either out on the full, a kick in from a behind or free kick where the winning team is in possession.

If the winning team has possession when the siren sounds, they can simply put their hands up similar to the advantage rule to indicate they want the time to end as they control where the ball is dead or not

Also yellow cards/sin bin situations. I don't think red cards would be executed correctly

When was the last time the league de-implemented a rule?

I would actually like to see some many taken away:

• The stand rule. A flash in the pan that nobody respects anymore. All the players move before play on is called.
  • Ruck nominations. Just lighten the load on umpires. Common sense says that if more than two rucks compete, it's a free kick.
  • Prior opportunity. I've had it. If you're caught holding onto the ball and you can't dispose of it legally then it's a free kick against. That'll clear up your dangerous tackling issue as well, seeing as how there'll be 50 less tackles per game.
  • Hands in the back. I'd like to see this one taken away, so that it can be re-instated and actually respected by the umpires.
  • Whatever rule it is that makes umpires explain decisions afterwards to the defenders standing on the mark, who always keep complaining anyway. What a waste of breath. Just encourages players to curry favour with umpires.
  • Insufficient intent. It's a good rule, but will be simpler once it's changed to any kick that goes out of bounds, on the full or not, is a free kick to the opposition. It can only be a throw-in if a player is pushed or tackled out-of-bounds, if it's a spoil or off hands. Deliberate free kicks will still be paid if a player intentionally hand-passes or runs over the line with the ball, as it does now. Just leave out the insufficient intent bit, we're the only game in the world who asks the umpires to guess what the players strategy is.

If the ball from a throw in goes over the nominated ruckman head, it's play on even if it hasn't touched the ground.
Only happened a couple of times, but one day it'll be in the dying stages of an important game.

• Prior opportunity. I've had it. If you're caught holding onto the ball and you can't dispose of it legally then it's a free kick against. That'll clear up your dangerous tackling issue as well, seeing as how there'll be 50 less tackles per game.

How would you implement this rule without ending up with players letting opponents take possession in order to tackle them and win an almost guaranteed free kick.

Growing up we’re always taught that if you’re first to the footy the umpires will look after you, this is the complete opposite of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deliberate OOB ................ FMD, if there is a 'greyer' area in the game please tell me.

Don't care if you run the ball over the line or bounce it out, just throw it in straight away with no penalty, and I mean straight away. Those snot-coloured dweebs look around and practice their technique and THEN throw it in.

MEMO TO BOUNDARY UMPS : you are not that important !!

Revert the 3rd man up and 1 meter rule at ruck contests.

If a team wants to have 12 players contesting a ruck contest then so be it, stop wasting time having the field umpire nominate who is contesting, its playground crap !!!

Just throw it in the air and back out of there quickly, the game needs to be restarted, not bogged down with minutiae.

Deliberate OOB ................ FMD, if there is a 'greyer' area in the game please tell me.

Don't care if you run the ball over the line or bounce it out, just throw it in straight away with no penalty, and I mean straight away. Those snot-coloured dweebs look around and practice their technique and THEN throw it in.

MEMO TO BOUNDARY UMPS : you are not that important !!
I reckon it should only be deliberate if the player disposes of it inside his defensive 50. Simple and no grey area.

I reckon it should only be deliberate if the player disposes of it inside his defensive 50. Simple and no grey area.
Nope. Go the 40-20/20-40 rule of rugby league.
If it travels a certain distance (maybe from inside 50 to the other side of the centre square) its not deliberate.
Doesn't go that distance, deliberate

Advantage needs to be changed to like how it is in rugby or soccer. How many times do we see an umpire blow his whistle for a free kick, pay advantage half a second later, and then player stops to take a free kick but it is too late. So dumb. And when players pause after a whistle and then the player with the ball just runs off

Ruck contests needs to be sorted out. Neither ruck knows who gets the free. Need a clear set of guidelines for ruck contests.

Advantage rule is shit. Copy soccer's rule. Once an umpire blows his whistle play should stop

I'd ask myself, why do the ruckmen need to separate 1 meter but the absolute instant the ball is released by an umpire they're allowed to jostle for position?

Advantage needs to be changed to like how it is in rugby or soccer. How many times do we see an umpire blow his whistle for a free kick, pay advantage half a second later, and then player stops to take a free kick but it is too late. So dumb. And when players pause after a whistle and then the player with the ball just runs off
They trialed this years, but the fans had no idea it was advantage.

Also, the 4 umpires, so if an umpire away from the play pays something, it won't be known by anyone.

Better to allow true advantage, where the team calls it. Arm wave or something, I don't know

They trialed this years, but the fans had no idea it was advantage.

Shouldn't even be a consideration for rules.

Also, the 4 umpires, so if an umpire away from the play pays something, it won't be known by anyone.

The simple fix would be that advantage can only be paid by the "in-zone" umpire. If an out of zone umpire pays a free, then you can't play advantage from it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back