Your upcoming gigs

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a great gig (Mascis is a great guitar player, and a minimalist showman 😁).

Venue is ok though they did run out of scotch which was weird.

A bit of a tangent but even though I'm a non smoker I long for the days where gigs had a bit of smoke in the air: I'm now finding towards the end of gigs that the build up of spilt beer, BO and farts to be quite the pongy combination. It's a problem.
Yeah, my son and I had a great time. Couldn't get into either of the hotels for a meal, before it started, but apart from that it went very smoothly.

Blink 182 and Rise Against tonight

First time at Rod Laver - have always avoided these huge gigs but my partner is a massive Blink fan (she already been to one of the other shows)

It'll be a nostalgia trip ha

Saw Blink last night at Rod Laver for their last Australian tour leg.

Was a great show!

Saw Blink last night at Rod Laver for their last Australian tour leg.

Was a great show!

Yeh I was impressed

Was a bit bummed that Rise Against only played one song I knew, the acoustic track from Siren Songs , but then looked up and found out they've released 6 albums since the initial three I knew and since fell off from following, so fair enough haha, especially with a 30 min set

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought you meant you bought tix to both shows I mentioned. You bought tix to both National shows? That sucks harder :( At least tickets to the Vanns are only $45.

Also, get on the Vanns, they’re great ;)
Yeah man they are one of my fave bands. Had tix when they were supposed to come back in 2021 but had to cancel due to covid.

My flight leaves at 5pm on Sunday so I am hoping I can get to Kings Park by 8!

I’ll definitely check them out now!

I'm so surprised by how expensive tickets to The National are, and how well attended they've been in spite of that. How have people learned of them? I'm not familiar with them getting any radio play in Australia, sans Triple J playing a bit of the High Violet album cos they loved Bloodbuzz.

It seems a very middle aged crowd to be discovering bands through the internet.

I'm so surprised by how expensive tickets to The National are, and how well attended they've been in spite of that. How have people learned of them? I'm not familiar with them getting any radio play in Australia, sans Triple J playing a bit of the High Violet album cos they loved Bloodbuzz.

They’ve been around since 2000, would have picked up a few fans the old fashioned way without requiring people to discover them late via the internet. Reckon they had a bit of Triple J airplay during their Boxer, High Violet run. Also think think they influenced Gang of Youths a bit, possible some people came to them that way. I have them pegged at a similar level to Arcade Fire though Arcade Fire briefly peaked higher.

As to price, tickets to their 2020 show were $99, which seems right for the time. Cost of living and a move to Kings Park saw costs increase to $150, which still seems about right, given I just paid $300 for Pearl Jam. Their target audience is middle aged, more cashed up folks.

I first found out about them with their Boxer album. Still one of the best I’ve heard. Their first two albums are pretty mediocre (some great songs though) but they just kept going to new levels after that. They have received alot of notoriety through some collaborations with Taylor Swift with one of the Dessner brothers producing her most recent albums.

Years ago I used to rag on guys who would wear earplugs to gigs.

Now I'm on the wrong side of 40, and I find myself going to at least 1-2 gigs a month... and I need to join the earplug crowd.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't even really know what I'm looking for in in earplugs to I guess "quieten and clarify" concert noise.

Now I'm on the wrong side of 40, and I find myself going to at least 1-2 gigs a month... and I need to join the earplug crowd.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't even really know what I'm looking for in in earplugs to I guess "quieten and clarify" concert noise.
Custom molds the way to go. have to get them done through audiologists.

I hear you (pun intended).

I’ve used musicians’ earplugs for years.

When I was doing concert photography I’d often be at 5 (sometimes more) gigs a week and it was definitely necessary. Did that for the better part of 15 years.

The beauty of the musicians plugs is they don’t cut out the sound quality.

The next step up is moulded plugs but I was fine with off the shelf ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I first found out about them with their Boxer album. Still one of the best I’ve heard. Their first two albums are pretty mediocre (some great songs though) but they just kept going to new levels after that. They have received alot of notoriety through some collaborations with Taylor Swift with one of the Dessner brothers producing her most recent albums.
Quality band (although I haven't invested much time into their last two albums), would have loved to see them but alas no Adelaide gig. Noticed some huge setlists, close to 30 songs a night.

Next gig on my radar is Haken.

Quality band (although I haven't invested much time into their last two albums), would have loved to see them but alas no Adelaide gig. Noticed some huge setlists, close to 30 songs a night.

Next gig on my radar is Haken.
Yeah I think the quality is still really high on their recent albums but they set such a high bar.

I was a bit disappointed in having to miss their first night as they played a mix of everything. The Sunday show they played High Violet in full and some deep cuts. Was still incredible though. Hopefully you can see them one day.

I’ll have to check shaken out.

My next gigs are Ben Howard and Everything Everything/The Vaccines double bill.

Yeah I think the quality is still really high on their recent albums but they set such a high bar.

I was a bit disappointed in having to miss their first night as they played a mix of everything. The Sunday show they played High Violet in full and some deep cuts. Was still incredible though. Hopefully you can see them one day.

I’ll have to check shaken out.

My next gigs are Ben Howard and Everything Everything/The Vaccines double bill.
The Saturday show was excellent, a genuine cross section of stuff from a band with a big back catalogue. That said, can’t believe that mixed it up so much by doing High Violet in full, assumed it would be a similar set list.

And I agree, the last two albums have been excellent.

In the past year or two I've mostly gone to small venues to see local acts, with the occasional festival thrown in. The best of the lot were Teen Jesus and the Jean Teasers, Amyl and the Sniffers, Itchy and the Nits, and Neptune Power Federation. That last one, I've seen five times since I first saw/heard them when the supported The Damned.

A few weeks ago I went to see Cheap Trick and The Angels at the Enmore, the site of my first Angels gig back in the 80s on the Liveline tour. Neither band has lost it.

In the next few weeks I'm seeing Maisie Peters and The Hu (not together, although that'd be awesome!)

I'm also seeing Iron Maiden in September, followed by a bit of 80s nostalgia with Kim Wilde in October.

But the gig I'm most looking forward to is this one. I've seen Downgirl live before, and the Flangipanis, Private Wives and Jess Raven have some great stuff. All for $25!

1710372885099.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back