Your historical site visit list

Remove this Banner Ad

Poland - visited Auschwitz, Krakow castle, Lescynski estate in Leszno (one of their daughters was concubine to Louis Quinze), Wroclaw historic quarter.

Czech Republic- Hradschin Castle, the site of the battle of White Mountain

Ireland - Dublin Castle, Kilmainham Gaol, King John’s castle in Limerick, St Nicholas Cathedral in Galway, Aughrim battle field, Dún Aonghusa in the Aran Islands (Iron Age fort)

Germany - Palace of the Republic (East Germany’s parliament, before it was shuttered and condemned), the site of Hitler’s bunker when it was still a car park beside a 5-a-side soccer pitch

France- Vimy Ridge (known as Canada’s Gallipoli), Amiens trenches

Would also like to visit the battlefields of the War of the Triple Alliance in Paraguay but not likely to get the chance until my son is grown up.

Been to the usuals in Europe.

One odd one that remember well was the Skirrid Inn in Wales. The oldest pub apparently in wales. The main beam has markings from the rope that was used to hang people back in the day.

Plenty in Russia:
St. Basil's Cathedral (Moscow)
The Hermitage (St Petersburg)
Lenin's tomb (Moscow)
The church of blood(Yekaterinburg)
The Kremlin (Moscow)

Others:
Tiananmen Square
Lincoln cathedral where the Magna Carta was signed
Book Depository in Dallas
Bran Castle in Romania

Heaps of others

Last edited:
It most certainly is, cost like two bucks to get in.

Full disclosure here. I was in Damascus in late 2004 for two days, and had the chance to rent a taxi for a few hours to visit the Krak. Was really tired already (I'd just come from 10 days in Egypt), and got drunk with some chicks in a bar in the hotel instead.

You may chastise me now.

Did see Saladin's tomb though.

Full disclosure here. I was in Damascus in late 2004 for two days, and had the chance to rent a taxi for a few hours to visit the Krak. Was really tired already (I'd just come from 10 days in Egypt), and got drunk with some chicks in a bar in the hotel instead.

You may chastise me now.

Did see Saladin's tomb though.

Did you root either or preferably both of the chicks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which have you visited?
The very sacred ground Aussie Rules footy started.

extinct volcano out in Western Victoria... that was very cool

James Cook cottage in Melbourne... do not think it is the real one... ha ha

Old Melbourne Gaol
Fremantle jail.

VFL Park,,,

Moorabin

Junction Oval

Arden Street

Windy Hill

Victoria Park

Western Oval

Princes Park

The very sacred ground Aussie Rules footy started.

extinct volcano out in Western Victoria... that was very cool

James Cook cottage in Melbourne... do not think it is the real one... ha ha

Old Melbourne Gaol
Fremantle jail.

VFL Park,,,

Moorabin

Junction Oval

Arden Street

Windy Hill

Victoria Park

Western Oval

Princes Park
If you like extinct volcanoes...................

Just in victoria, places to go are:
Tower Hill - brilliant
Mt Elephant
Mt Noorat
The area around Colac/Red rocks
Camperdown - the view from the Botanic Gardens of the volcanic maars, Lake Bullen Merri and Lake Gnotuk
And of course, when ypu undertsand Mt Buffalo is the remnants of an erupting magma bubble, it's pretty cool.

I haven't done a lot of travelling unfortunately, but did get spend a month and a half driving around the UK and Ireland a number of years ago, and spent most of the time clambering around various castles, cathedrals, museums and battlefields, but one of the most surprising historical sites was this marker in the middle of a random traffic island just near Marble Arch in London, that unless you were staring at your feet you would completely miss if you weren't already aware of its existence:

SANY1253.JPG

It was the site of the Tyburn Tree, which was a large triangular gallows (picture a horizontal triangle with three legs holding it up) from the middle ages where hundreds upon hundreds of people would have been executed. I note that they've now planted three trees there, so it looks a little bit less like a standard traffic island.

Megaliths at Carnac, Stonehenge, Maiden Castle, walked the city walls of York several times, Carcassonne, amphitheatres at Trier, Nimes and Arles, Chester city walls, German fortifications at Jersey and Guernsey, island of Sark, walked about 25 km of the best parts of Hadrians Wall, Dumbarton Rock near Glasgow, World War 1 sites - Pozieres and Villers Brettoneux, Omaha beach and Juno beach, bridge at Remagen, William the conquerors castle at Caen, Tintagel in Cornwall, Fougeres and Vitre castles in Brittany, Bayeux tapestry, site of Joan of Arc's burning in Rouen, Culloden battle site in Scotland, Alhambra Palace in Granada, Great Mosque in Cordoba, narrow boat on the Leeds Liverpool canal, lots of other places. Dragged my poor wife to every decent castle, Roman ruin and prehistoric site I could find. Favourite castles - Caerphilly, Caernavon and Fougeres. Favourite museum - railway museum in York. Favourite Roman ruin - Maison Carree in Nimes.

The nature of any decent trip to Europe (which I undertook in 2016) is that you visit more than you really care to count unless you intentionally avoid them.

The last one of some historical interest would almost certainly be Salvador Allende's grave in Santiago, Chile. To this day, boy is he a divisive figure in Chile's national discourse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back