Your historical site visit list

Remove this Banner Ad

Stonehenge. You need imagination cos hardly anyone gets there on a still warm summer solstice. Was windswept, cold overcrowded and huge traffic noise. A visitors centre is being built and i think the road gets re routed. Should be nicer i reckon. Theres lots of other standing stones and circles in the west country, good for a look too. Pre dates christianity by a millenia or so but they still have religion based stories anyway.

My theory? The circles were safe meeting points between tribes with a deep mis trust of each other . The standing stones between them way points where the country was much rougher to travel over than today. Thered be one upmanship to produce increasingly elaborate circles as time goes on, and mystical powers would become legend
I reckon a good few churches would have been built over demolished circles

South america
The corcovado, maracana. Salvador lower city and the mercardo modelo. La paz moon valley

Europe
Acropolis. Old olympic stadium. That old village on the hill santorini. Notre dame. Eifell tower.

-Chichen Itza in Mexico, was the end of the day and almost no-one there. Was great.
1571991362920.jpeg

- Tulum Ruins. Spectacular on the sea
1571991236534.png

Blue Hole in Belize

1571991361662.png

Ancient Ruins of Belize

1571991408138.png

Khmer Rouge killing fields.. Very grim

1571991511847.png

Will add others as I remember them. Plenty in Europe.

Arena de Nimes. Over 2,000 years old built by the Romans. Saw Radiohead there a couple years back.

1571991974801.png

Plaze del Espagna, Seville

1571992123381.png

Royal Alcazar, Seville (Capitol of Dorne in GoT)

1571992171791.png

Cadiz, Spain. One of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in Europe. Also a massive link between the old world and new world. It's where Columbus left from to discover the Americas. Also the first port to bring tobacco to Europe.

1571992356459.png

Golfe Juan. While it might not look like much, this is the beach Napoleon landed on 15th of March 1815 after arriving in secrecy from Elba. Just 3 months before the Battle of Waterloo. This is about 10 minutes from my home and my street connects to the 'Route Napoleon', which is the route he and his men took into the north.

1571992804749.png

Versailles, home of The Sun King

1571992862911.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've visited a decent amount of sites in Europe as I've spent 2 years there recently and been there twice before that on holidays so I have a few in Asia/Africa/Americas instead.

- Chichen Itza (Or an alternative that isn't as touristy)
- Machu Picchu
- All of the ancient Greek monuments and buildings etc
- Most of historical china like the great wall, forbidden city etc
- Stonehenge (lived in England for 2 years and never went)
- Bath (same as above)
- Giza
- Petra
- Angkor Wat
- Easter Island

I'm sure there is a bunch I missed.

Bring your boots with ankle supports for the old town, the roads there are as they were 2000 years ago.. big rocks.
Stayed in the old town with a local family. They were watching Water Rats dubbed into Bulgarian. Very interesting city, continually inhabited for 8000 years, most of the major civilisations established themselves there. Even a Soviet monument on the hill opposite the Roman stadium. Relatively few tourists.

Greece - Athens - Acropolis
Greece - Thessaloniki - Roman ruins in city
Greece - Iraklion - Minoan Palace
Greece - Iraklion - Phaestos Palace
Greece - Iraklion - Rizinia.

Practically the whole country is full of ancient sites.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back