Remove this Banner Ad

FB- Terlich, Sellar J Bennell
HB-Valenti, MacNamara, Gillies
C- Morton, Bode, Barry
HF- Kennedy-Harris, Fitzpatrick, Newton
FF- Moorcroft, T Smith, Maric
FOL- Meeson, Couch, Funcke
INT- Weetra, Blease, S Motlop, Hunter

How can you out Motlop in the mix? I would have 50 more before him that were shocking

How can you out Motlop in the mix? I would have 50 more before him that were shocking
damn bro, nice bump

I don't even remember this post from me lol

With the chat about Bailey/Neeld era hacks of late, and as a means to nip in the bud any hubris that's developed over the last season or so, I was thinking of putting together a team of our worst players of this millennium. Kinda similar to what Headless ran last year where we pick from players who debuted for us from 2000 on to make the anti-team of the century.

Outside of debuting/being drafted post-2000 (I imagine at least one of the team will have 0 games to their name) players could be nominated/chosen however you choose to define shitness, and we've been s**t a lot of different ways since 2000. That said, I'm open to hearing ideas for criteria or rules.

If people are interested I'll try and put some voting process together this weekend. This could be voted on by the board for each line (perhaps like the old Demon bracket style voting), e.g. by backs, mids forwards, so we can all reminisce about how awful we were.

Neeld obviously is the coach of this band of scoundrels and ne'er-do-wells.
Teams, All of them, up until around 2013/14.

cccccCCCCCCC Culture is the King.

Last edited:
pretty sure that was the game when Robinson called us bruise free, good times :$
FMD 08-13 were pretty much the grimmest of times following this club. The only Victorian sides we managed to beat were Richmond (til they got their s**t together under Hardwick), Essendon for a few streaky wins but everybody basically remembers 148, and the Dogs once under Neil Craig and joy turned to sheer relief when we looked like getting overrun for pretty much the entire last quarter from a seemingly unassailable position.

In that time period we won 29 of a possible 132 games.

We played the odd good game where we smacked mediocre interstate sides at the G but we spent the better part of a decade being pretty much sub-AFL standard. It felt like most years we would play Hawthorn at the G in Round 1 and you’d realise about 10 minutes in that the season was over…

FMD 08-13 were pretty much the grimmest of times following this club. The only Victorian sides we managed to beat were Richmond (til they got their s**t together under Hardwick), Essendon for a few streaky wins but everybody basically remembers 148, and the Dogs once under Neil Craig and joy turned to sheer relief when we looked like getting overrun for pretty much the entire last quarter from a seemingly unassailable position.

We played the odd good game where we smacked mediocre interstate sides at the G but we spent the better part of a decade being pretty much sub-AFL standard. It felt like most years we would play Hawthorn at the G in Round 1 and you’d realise about 10 minutes in that the season was over…
I will add in that period we also got expansion clubs that were basically given wins, until they both quickly passed us.

Yeah, I absolutely hated us under Bailey, maybe even more so than under Neeld, we were soft as heck , Robinson was correct. They'd fold so quickly in games once it wasn't on their terms. Such a nothing team. All they did was frustrate a disappoint.

2013:
Rd 1: 79pt loss
Rd 2: 148pt loss, highest ever at home
Rd 3: 94pt loss
Rd 4: Losing to winless GWS by 19 pts at 3/4 time, before we somehow managed our highest ever scoring quarter (12 goals) to eventually win. Marquee recruit Mitch Clark was injured in this game and didn't play again for the club.

Rd 7: Lost to Gold Coast

Only 2 wins for the season (Worst since 1981). Our worst percentage (54.1) since 1906

Our B&F top 5: N Jones, Garland, D Terlich, M Jones, Sylvia.

Coach sacked, CEO sacked, President resigned, 3 other board members resigned, List Manager made redundant (Obviously, most of these decisions turned out as positives, but the sheer magnitude of change in key personnel is an indictment on how bad it had gotten.)

What a time to be alive!

Yeah, I absolutely hated us under Bailey, maybe even more so than under Neeld, we were soft as * , Robinson was correct. They'd fold so quickly in games once it wasn't on their terms. Such a nothing team. All they did was frustrate a disappoint.
I reckon Bailey plus several congruent factors (recruiting, list management, FD) had the club trending in a pretty crap direction but Neeld almost killed the club. I suppose Neeld got it to such a s**t state that drastic action took place whereas the Bailey era was a slow mo limo wreck.

2013:
Rd 1: 79pt loss
Rd 2: 148pt loss, highest ever at home
Rd 3: 94pt loss
Rd 4: Losing to winless GWS by 19 pts at 3/4 time, before we somehow managed our highest ever scoring quarter (12 goals) to eventually win. Marquee recruit Mitch Clark was injured in this game and didn't play again for the club.

Rd 7: Lost to Gold Coast

Only 2 wins for the season (Worst since 1981). Our worst percentage (54.1) since 1906

Our B&F top 5: N Jones, Garland, D Terlich, M Jones, Sylvia.

Coach sacked, CEO sacked, President resigned, 3 other board members resigned, List Manager made redundant (Obviously, most of these decisions turned out as positives, but the sheer magnitude of change in key personnel is an indictment on how bad it had gotten.)

What a time to be alive!
The funniest thing about the 94 point loss you mentioned was that we were 7 points behind at halftime and the team were given a standing ovation in a lot of areas of the ground. Just an epically s**t team.

I actually watched more footy analyst shows around that era tbh than what i have in the recent years. There's something about being more vocal and wanting to grab a torch and pitchfork to burn the club down when your club is truly terrible. Kind of got off on watching Garry Lyon get torched by Sam Newman every week about how bad we were! It brings the clubs supporters together.

Of course the premiership brought the whole club past and present together, but there's something about being so s*** that everyone wants a piece. Would much rather be at the bottom in crisis mode than where St.Kilda are right now in no man's land. Completely irrelevant. At least when you are truly pathetic you get more air time and there's always the draft to look forward to!

I reckon Bailey plus several congruent factors (recruiting, list management, FD) had the club trending in a pretty crap direction but Neeld almost killed the club. I suppose Neeld got it to such a s**t state that drastic action took place whereas the Bailey era was a slow mo limo wreck.

Neeld saved the club essentially. #Hero

Bailey’s first year was utterly dreadful. 3-19 with a percentage of 62.9. Lost our first two by 104 & 95. Only wins for the year were: Freo (massive comeback but poxy opposition meant real GWS R4, 2013 vibes); a one point win against a Brisbane side that had pretty much had it; and a 34 point win against a terrible West Coast in possibility the worst game of footy I’ve ever seen. Also got spanked by 116 in our 150th celebration game. We were rinsed by plenty in many other games. Neeld/Craig 2013 was a hold my beer to this completely shitful effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to the footy during those shithouse years was a strange feeling, didn't even feel disappointed after a while, was just a numbness while witnessing a club disintegrate in front of you. The worst is when friends start to pity you instead of hate the club you support, that's when you know you're truly in the s**t, just completely irrelevant. Hard to believe we pulled ourselves out of that hole tbh.

Going to the footy during those shithouse years was a strange feeling, didn't even feel disappointed after a while, was just a numbness while witnessing a club disintegrate in front of you. The worst is when friends start to pity you instead of hate the club you support, that's when you know you're truly in the s**t, just completely irrelevant. Hard to believe we pulled ourselves out of that hole tbh.

Couldn't agree more. We were as bad as it got.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just wanted to see us having a go back then. Watching Nathan Jones was so joyful for that reason. It was s**t, but I guess it was simple. Then again, one of the highlights going to the footy to watch us these days is watching Gawn/Oliver going for a spell after a big quarter and the MCC applauding them off in that spine tingling way. I've never really noticed it watching other teams games, maybe its because the members is dominated by Dees fans from the old days, or maybe other teams are just louder everywhere else around the ground.

Some of these had good games so it's a bit harsh but like our 2013 list somebody's got to fill spots.

B: Terlich, Gillies, Bode
HB: McNamara, Warnock, Clisby
C: Heffernan, Toumpas, Gysberts
HF: Chisholm, Keilty, Bail
F: Moorcroft, Hughes, Grgic
Foll: Preuss, M. Jones, Couch
INT: Williams, Magner, Weetra, Davis

Some of these had good games so it's a bit harsh but like our 2013 list somebody's got to fill spots.

B: Terlich, Gillies, Bode
HB: McNamara, Warnock, Clisby
C: Heffernan, Toumpas, Gysberts
HF: Chisholm, Keilty, Bail
F: Moorcroft, Hughes, Grgic
Foll: Preuss, M. Jones, Couch
INT: Williams, Magner, Weetra, Davis

Genuinely cant remember Keilty.

Luke Williams, good call, Headless is so mad right now, naming his favourite player in a worst team.

The funniest thing about the 94 point loss you mentioned was that we were 7 points behind at halftime and the team were given a standing ovation in a lot of areas of the ground. Just an epically s**t team.
Another funny thing was that despite losing by 94 points, our percentage went up by 7%.

It's forever burned in my brain

Supermercado named 22 of my all-time favourites. :unsure:

I remember Kelity's christian name now, pretty sure it was Declan? But I still have no idea about what he looks like or what game he played for us. No doubt it was a massive Melbourne loss as was the fashion at the time.

I remember Kelity's christian name now, pretty sure it was Declan? But I still have no idea about what he looks like or what game he played for us. No doubt it was a massive Melbourne loss as was the fashion at the time.
GAMES. Plural.

Two of my all-time favourites. :unsure:

GAMES. Plural.

Two of my all-time favourites. :unsure:

Cant remember him and he played two games for us, extraordinary. They must have been fanastic games. I will scour my Name a Game collection for Kelity footage,

Cant remember him and he played two games for us, extraordinary. They must have been fanastic games. I will scour my Name a Game collection for Kelity footage,

I just checked, and he played in rounds 7 and 8 in 2019, against Hawthorn and Gold Coast. Incredibly, those two games were both wins, in a season in which we only managed 5 for the whole year.

He pops up occasionally in these highlights. Check 4:50 for a contested mark and 15:50 for a NicNatesque clearance:

I just checked, and he played in rounds 7 and 8 in 2019, against Hawthorn and Gold Coast. Incredibly, those two games were both wins, in a season in which we only managed 5 for the whole year.

He pops up occasionally in these highlights. Check 4:50 for a contested mark and 15:50 for a NicNatesque clearance:

I barely remember anything from 2019, mainly coz i refused to watch us play games after about round 12 such was my disgust in how the year had gone up til that point. I watched all the Bailey and Neeld years but 2019 broke me to the point where I just couldn't be ****ed wasting my time watching us play anymore.. I think my mind wiped 99% of 2019 from the memory bank. The only memory I have is of Jay Lockhart being a beast. #bringbackJay

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back