Golf World Golf thread - Foreign and Domestic

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont wish to get into a lengthy debate about this as its been done and done but this comment is not quite correct.

WGC events were all smaller fields and no cuts and they were around from 1999. CJ Cup. ZOZO Championship. CIMB Classic. All no cuts before LIV.

Are the new designated events with no cuts and small fields a result of LIV? Yes of course. But it's also just smart business isn't it? Sponsors want to know that the Rorys and Spieths are locked away on a weekend. As a fan, I like the drama of a cut but I see the both sides of the argument.

I like cuts as well but as you say the sponsors want the big names playing on the weekend. I wish Liv would go to 72 holes and a cut but I guess thats just ends up another tour all doing the same stuff.

Thats what is great about the majors, we have 4 rounds with the best of the best playing. Great event the Masters.

Re: Greg. He has become very Trumpian. He just says the most outlandish things to drive interest in LIV or pump up it's tyres - which also means Greg's tyres are getting pumped.

His comments last week that Talor Gooch is the best iron player in the last 20 years is just ******* ridiculous. We all know its not true.

He said Gooch is one of the best iron players he had seen up close I thought, well thats what he said this morning. Scheffler is the best iron player by miles at the moment.

He has to talk up the product while Rory is bagging the hell out of it without being questioned by the PGA tour media.

Yes its so fascinating this week, Koepka had this tournament in his grasp last year but the iceman couldn't quite close it out while Rahm got the green jacket. Niemann is one to watch from LIV this week, has the potential to go that next step if his game is there this week, he has the shots, believe me, I feel its important to get off to a good start in this tournament, its not crucial but you don't want to be chasing up to many shots on this course, especially on Sunday.
I like Niemann, but I reckon he is a tad overrated currently. 19 major starts and he hasn't ever been close anywhere. Even if we only look at his last 3 years, he has done SFA. Still just a baby - this might be his time to shine.

Patrick Reed at 66-1 not terrible value.

Rory already has a better career than Norman IMO. More majors, more PGA Tour wins, more Euro Tour wins(albeit a bit more double counting of the majors).

Yes 4 majors to two already puts Rory ahead, but you can't just ignore 91 wins worldwide. Rory is a great player and will end up a HOF also, funny enough Norman always speaks highly of Rory, pity respect only goes one way.

He said Gooch is one of the best iron players he had seen up close I thought, well thats what he said this morning. Scheffler is the best iron player by miles at the moment.

He has to talk up the product while Rory is bagging the hell out of it without being questioned by the PGA tour media.
Since Rory has left the PAC, he has barely said a word about LIV? And only been positive about the merger?

I like Niemann, but I reckon he is a tad overrated currently. 19 major starts and he hasn't ever been close anywhere. Even if we only look at his last 3 years, he has done SFA. Still just a baby - this might be his time to shine.

Patrick Reed at 66-1 not terrible value.

Reed not playing well enough, plays one good round and falls away quite consistently on LIV. Niemen is very young and might just be starting to some into his own. Lets see how he goes at the majors this year, thats if he is in all of them.

And thats fine to do but don't play us for fools.

Rory hasnt said a bad word about anything since mid last year.

Since Rory has left the PAC, he has barely said a word about LIV? And only been positive about the merger?

Only a week or so ago he was saying Norman and the players who went to LIV have done Yasir a disservice. I am sure Yasir took that well and hence still no meeting of the minds.

I wonder what really is the obstacle to get them all together?

Yes 4 majors to two already puts Rory ahead, but you can't just ignore 91 wins worldwide. Rory is a great player and will end up a HOF also, funny enough Norman always speaks highly of Rory, pity respect only goes one way.
I think you can ignore a lot of Greg's 91 wins. A lot of the Aussie victories can be ignored. The Traralgon Open, etc. And those '
"91 wins" include things like Skins matches.

Rory already has more majors, one away from a career Slam(Greg 3) and has won more in the US and Europe.

Greg's real claim to fame is his time at Number 1. Which doesn't matter to him anymore.

Reed not playing well enough, plays one good round and falls away quite consistently on LIV. Niemen is very young and might just be starting to some into his own. Lets see how he goes at the majors this year, thats if he is in all of them.
Reed on Masters form alone makes him better than 66-1.

Norman has quite the record of lying since LIVs inception.

Off the top of my head:
  • players will get OWGR points
  • the PGAT cannot ban players
  • LIV has several offers on the table from major TV networks
  • the classic photo of Norman when Alan Shipnuck getting kicked out of the first LIV event
  • the ridiculously inaccurate and inflated viewership numbers

Norman has quite the record of lying since LIVs inception.

Off the top of my head:
  • players will get OWGR points
  • the PGAT cannot ban players
  • LIV has several offers on the table from major TV networks
  • the classic photo of Norman when Alan Shipnuck getting kicked out of the first LIV event
  • the ridiculously inaccurate and inflated viewership numbers

Most sensible people think they should have points. More a surprise than a lie.
How is banning players a lie? Not employed by the pGA tour so how can they ban them? I Know they have but how legal it is we will now never know as lawsuits have been dropped.
Major TV networks? You really are reaching. Any CEO would of said this. Lucky Millions watch it around the world.
Give you the Shipnuck one.
The viewership numbers no one knows. American numbers only is what we know. How would anyone know how many watched this mornings coverage globally? It's on Different networks and channels in all parts pf the globe. There could of been millions watching this morning? I don't know and neither do you.

Now how about your mate Jay, where do his lies start and end?

Can we not just enjoy the masters? You hate LIV and you hate Greg Norman. We get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most sensible people think they should have points. More a surprise than a lie.
How is banning players a lie? Not employed by the pGA tour so how can they ban them? I Know they have but how legal it is we will now never know as lawsuits have been dropped.
Major TV networks? You really are reaching. Any CEO would of said this. Lucky Millions watch it around the world.
Give you the Shipnuck one.
The viewership numbers no one knows. American numbers only is what we know. How would anyone know how many watched this mornings coverage globally? It's on Different networks and channels in all parts pf the globe. There could of been millions watching this morning? I don't know and neither do you.

Now how about your many Jay, where do his lies start and end?

Can we not just enjoy the masters? You hate LIV and you hate Greg Norman. We get it.
1. The players were banned. Jones, Swafford and Gooch were banned after they wanted to play in the PGAT Finals and it was upheld in court.
2. Norman stated "“Well, yeah, I can’t comment on that quite honestly,” Norman said. “All I can tell you is that the interest coming across our plate right now is enormous.”. The result? They signed with the CW network which was ranked mid 20s at the time in TV network rankings? That is not enormous interest.
3. LIVs touted numbers are clearly false. The numbers that Norman and co were claiming were completely fanciful. The 'Caffeine TV' numbers that when compared to other major golf events/rounds were simply hilarious. LIV claimed 2 million viewers switched on to Caffeine TV for Fridays round of LIV Jeddah. Meanwhile, Youtube had 230k total across the final 2 rounds. It simply doesnt add up.

I just found this gem when looking for viewership numbers

"Consider that the Good Good Desert Open—a par-3 tournament with influencers—had nearly 100,000 live viewers on YouTube last week. A day later, LIV’s first-round coverage was available on YouTube and had about one-fifth the audience (the Good Good Desert Open has more than one million views total as of this writing)."

Finally, your comment "Now how about your many Jay, where do his lies start and end? Can we not just enjoy the masters? You hate LIV and you hate Greg Norman. We get it."... I was going about my day just fine thank you very much. Not getting involved in LIV shit. Enjoying my 1986 Masters flashbacks. Posting Nicklaus obliterating a golf ball on the 15th at Augusta. And then you jumped in with your rant and set me off.

1. The players were banned. Jones, Swafford and Gooch were banned after they wanted to play in the PGAT Finals and it was upheld in court.
2. Norman stated "“Well, yeah, I can’t comment on that quite honestly,” Norman said. “All I can tell you is that the interest coming across our plate right now is enormous.”. The result? They signed with the CW network which was ranked mid 20s at the time in TV network rankings? That is not enormous interest.
3. LIVs touted numbers are clearly false. The numbers that Norman and co were claiming were completely fanciful. The 'Caffeine TV' numbers that when compared to other major golf events/rounds were simply hilarious. LIV claimed 2 million viewers switched on to Caffeine TV for Fridays round of LIV Jeddah. Meanwhile, Youtube had 230k total across the final 2 rounds. It simply doesnt add up.

"Consider that the Good Good Desert Open—a par-3 tournament with influencers—had nearly 100,000 live viewers on YouTube last week. A day later, LIV’s first-round coverage was available on YouTube and had about one-fifth the audience (the Good Good Desert Open has more than one million views total as of this writing)."

Finally, your comment "Now how about your many Jay, where do his lies start and end? Can we not just enjoy the masters? You hate LIV and you hate Greg Norman. We get it."... I was going about my day just fine thank you very much. Not getting involved in LIV s**t. Enjoying my 1986 Masters flashbacks. Posting Nicklaus obliterating a golf ball on the 15th at Augusta. And then you jumped in with your rant and set me off.

I was enjoying the adult talk with Sideswipe and then you came in with your normal crap. I don't know how many different ways you can say you don't like LIV golf. Not sure if it makes you feel big and strong? But it's just the same stuff over and over.

Not sure what Greg ever did to you, but I reckon you were up early cheering him on once upon a time. Must be a personal issue.

Most sensible people think they should have points.

Its the opposite. Most uninformed people think LIV event should be awarded OWGR points. When you explain to them that its not a level playing field, LIV golfers get guaranteed starts to 54 hole no cut events, they realise, actually, how can they argue for points?

Its the opposite. Most uninformed people think LIV event should be awarded OWGR points. When you explain to them that its not a level playing field, LIV golfers get guaranteed starts to 54 hole no cut events, they realise, actually, how can they argue for points?

You can't argue that when Tigers event gets points.

I was enjoying the adult talk with Sideswipe and then you came in with your normal crap. I don't know how many different ways you can say you don't like LIV golf. Not sure if it makes you feel big and strong? But it's just the same stuff over and over.

Not sure what Greg ever did to you, but I reckon you were up early cheering him on once upon a time. Must be a personal issue.
WTF? Calm down old chap. Bit of an unnecessary swipe. I simply corrected your inaccurate statement regarding LIV and PGAT no cut events.

It's a message board forum where people post their opinions. Differing or in agreeance. You've stated Greg is some honest saint of the golf world which I have stated he clearly is not. Don't agree? Fine.

And you then resort to your anti-Rory / anti-Jay rants (again).

I have stated previously that I enjoyed following Greg and cheered for him. Did I love him? No. Not sure why. But I despise his arrogance and blatant lies. If you don't agree, well then thats just superb but I'm exercising my right to post my opinion about your hero in this discussion forum.

WTF? Calm down old chap. I simply corrected your inaccurate statement regarding LIV and PGAT no cut events.

It's a message board forum where people post their opinions. Differing or in agreeance. You've stated Greg is some honest saint of the golf world which I have stated he clearly is not. Don't agree? Fine.

And you then resort to your anti-Rory / anti-Jay rants (again).

I have stated previously that I enjoyed following Greg and cheered for him. Did I love him? No. Not sure why. But I despise his arrogance and blatant lies. If you don't agree, well then thats just superb but I'm exercising my right to post my opinion about your hero in this discussion forum.

No problem at all. I am just as entitled. I get annoyed with the exact same stuff with you guys thinking Rory is some kind of saint. Anyway lets move on.

You know I was going to do a round up of LIV this morning then I decided not to to avoid this type of crap. I know how you guys feel about it.
Might have to start a LIV page. Obviously me, myself and I.

Anyway Hope DJ, Brookes and Rahm fight out the Masters. But reality says if Cheffller putts well he will win. He is levels above all golfers on the planet right now.

Masters thread is LIVE

Finally, your comment "Now how about your many Jay, where do his lies start and end? Can we not just enjoy the masters? You hate LIV and you hate Greg Norman. We get it."... I was going about my day just fine thank you very much. Not getting involved in LIV s**t. Enjoying my 1986 Masters flashbacks. Posting Nicklaus obliterating a golf ball on the 15th at Augusta. And then you jumped in with your rant and set me off.
Unless you have a financial interest, why the arguing and hate? It seems pretty pointless to be taking sides.

Unless you have a financial interest, why the arguing and hate? It seems pretty pointless to be taking sides.
I'm not allowed to dislike anything about a particular golf league, the format, their players, teams, directors and impact on the golf world? I shouldn't be debating it on a public discussion forum with someone with an opposing opinion?

I've passionately followed pro golf and the PGAT for many years and I detest what has become of world golf both caused by LIV and the PGAT.

Anyway, I was asked yesterday to drop it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back