Women's Netball Team (Licence Handed Back May ‘23)

Remove this Banner Ad

All the other netball teams are going to absolutely hate us.

Anything less is failure.

As Yoda said, hate leads to suffering. Of course, I assume that Yoda is referring to the suffering of everyone else.

When I hate a team it's purely logical.

Collingwood have clearly been wanting to expand into women's sports for years.

How long ago did we set up the netball court at the Holden Centre? Probably five years ago? Maybe longer?

The Government funding for the new Glasshouse was based largely on the facility catering for women. It was a good cause that helped us get our hands on ~ $10 million of the Fed's (taxpayers') money. And I guess that put us in the box seat as far as getting a women's team.

What I reckoned happened is the club hedged their bets and went after both the netball and football licenses - and then both got resolved around the same time and we ended up being granted both.

The sport had just developed the trans-tasman competition when the sprung floor was installed so I think its a long bow to draw that the two go hand in hand.

I think you're right that it likely went down that route in terms of making sure we got in on the ground floor of at least one so we went after both, but going it alone on this one is worrisome. All it will do is add further pressure to strained finances due to dipping performance of the team. The federal funding would no doubt have played a part which concerns me.

At least some notification to members would have been beneficial, IMO. That's what's starting to alienate people more than anything because some exPert's see us as $ signs rather than the heartbeat of the club...

At least some notification to members would have been beneficial, IMO. That's what's starting to alienate people more than anything because some exPert's see us as $ signs rather than the heartbeat of the club...

In an ideal world footy clubs wouldn't need members and could survive on sponsorship and commercial business alone. Currently not the case though so I agree with this point.

giphy.gif

Just thought I'd bump this thread as contract signings start tomorrow so we will be able to start assembling our team.

Expect quite a Few Announcements about this Tommorow

Despite the headline it hasn't been officially announced

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/colling...orrying-how-to-pay-bills-20160915-grh0f1.html
Teague-Neeld is 20. Having played 15 games for the Melbourne Vixens in the trans-Tasman league disbanded in August after eight seasons, the daughter of former Geelong and Richmond footballer and Melbourne AFL coach Mark Neeld will next week be announced as one of Collingwood's inaugural signings for the new, bells-and-whistles eight-team domestic competition starting next February.

One we didn't get

http://www.foxsports.com.au/netball...s/news-story/0994d572ee2f0431c540c05451a759da
POCKET rocket Caitlyn Nevins says the cutting-edge coaching of Roselee Jencke and the winning Firebirds culture made it a no-brainer to recommit to Queensland for the next two years.

Wing attack Nevins was a vital part of the Firebirds side that made history with an ANZ Championship double in 2015 and 2016.

Named in her first Diamonds squad earlier this year, Nevins was approached by Collingwood to return to her native Victoria but she “wasn’t interested’’ in leaving the Firebirds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The netball team will have a feeder club in the ANL, which will be based in Tasmania.

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/4157154/netball-set-to-be-back-on-the-map/
Tasmania will return to the Australian Netball League next year.

The Tasmania Magpies will provide a feeder side for Collingwood’s entry into the national netball league.

Discussions with Netball Tasmania chief executive Julia Phillips have come to a mutual agreement on key points satisfying both parties.

“It’s logistically challenging, but Julia and myself have had really good conversations how we would set it up,” Keppich-Birrell said.

“We’ll have a particular training group based in Tasmania with some of the coaches already here (in Tasmania) high-performance coaches that are already elite.

“We have players currently sitting in the VNL (in Melbourne), who have moved across from Tasmania and we have our training partners.

“So a side would be a culmination of three or even four groups that would come together to compete, which is going to be challenging but it’s all around making sure we are creating the best learning space for our athletes.”

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/4176414/black-and-white-goals/
The partnership with Collingwood (who have one of the new franchises for the National Netball League) and Netball Tasmania will see the Tasmania Magpies enter the ANL as a feeder team, replacing Tasmanian Spirit, who had been in recess since the end of 2014.

Ashton Whiley was vice-captain of that Spirit outfit, and believed Collingwood’s involvement was exciting for the game in the state. “To get that team back will create that pathway to the national league and that is something I’d love to be a part of.”

Does anyone here follow Netball and know these players? If so are we a chance of doing anything next season?
From the link TradeDraft posted in the other thread

http://www.foxsports.com.au/news/co...d/news-story/3bf533008ea49e2cedcf716ba1529280
So strong is the side it could arguably match every netball national in the world — potentially even the world No. 2 Silver Ferns side.

Off-season plundering by the club has decimated the heart and soul of netball’s two champion clubs, the Queensland Firebirds and NSW Swifts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back