Remove this Banner Ad

COLLINGWOOD 1.2 1.4 1.5 1.5 (11)
CARLTON
3.0 4.1 6.1 7.4 (46)

GOALS - Collingwood: Garner
Carlton: Vescio 4, Arnell, Davey, Jakobsson

BEST - Collingwood: D'Arcy, Chiocci, Barden, White
Carlton: Davey, Vescio, Exon, Jakobsson, Arnell, Keryk

INJURIES - Collingwood: Emma Grant (concussion), Stacey Livingstone (shoulder), Helen Roden (left leg), Steph Chiocci (concussion)
Carlton: Natalie Plane (ankle), Nat Exon (corked thigh)

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Annie Mirabile, Nathan Toner, Jack Spencer

Official crowd: 24,568 at Ikon Park, Carlton

Game plan should be simple and predictab,e for our players. Let the half backs and wingman build a Wal and keep everyone else in their positions. Our skill level isn't strong enough for it to be too complicated

Whoever did that match report Dave wasn't at the game. Darcie Vescio was just a cut above everyone else on the ground. Every time she went near it (even to tackle or shepherd) something positive happened for the Blues. She's a gun that kid and if we have any sense we'd be doubling her contract to come to the Pies!! She's also a great motivational speaker young Darce and she's done heaps of clinics and community work already for the cause. Well played young woman.

Whoever did that match report Dave wasn't at the game. Darcie Vescio was just a cut above everyone else on the ground. Every time she went near it (even to tackle or shepherd) something positive happened for the Blues. She's a gun that kid and if we have any sense we'd be doubling her contract to come to the Pies!! She's also a great motivational speaker young Darce and she's done heaps of clinics and community work already for the cause. Well played young woman.

Must be the same Person who does the VFL Match Reports;)

Don't know, maybe watching the AFLW as a neutral is the way to go. I really enjoyed the Crows v Giants game. I really enjoyed the after game celebrations too.

Take the Pressure off watching the game as you don't care who wins and looses

Thinking over this today, and my response to last night's game, I have no doubt that the standard/skills will improve. Whether this takes 2, 5 or 10 years, I have no idea. I'm open to the possibility of sooner rather than later, on the basis of the younger women (teens) coming through who have been playing and training for footy for most of their lives. If you read the back stories of many of the current players, some played footy as kids and then gave it away for years (no playing opportunities). They had a major break in their development.

I'm also not concerned if the women's game develops a different style or look to the men's game. It should be different, it should be noticeably women's footy, in the way women play tennis or other sports differently to men. It may be a short kick form of game, as limited women at this stage appear capable of long kicks. It would be good if it were open and fast, as happened at times last night. The low scoring games are a concern, or is this also something we need to get used to, as a characteristic of the women's game?

The impact of the coaches will be significant. Is there an Alastair Clarkson amongst the current crop of coaches, who will stamp a particular style on the game, be an innovator? When will we see the first senior woman as coach, and what might she bring to the game?

So while there is disappointment after last night, a lot of disinterest still amongst supporters, and some frustration about changing venues, there is also a lot to look forward to. There's nothing like being in on the ground floor and riding the ups and downs of a new game for a new era.

Edit: Michelle Cowan is the head coach of Freo. I heard her speak last year, and if you check out her CV she's very impressive.

Last edited:
Watched the 2 games today and enjoyed both - it's entertaining in the way that it's very much like watching high school footy (don't take this the wrong way) except there's a crowd and all the players try hard. The best part of it for me is absolutely the constant chaos caused by players not being skilled enough.

I guess I'm sick of Collingwood (men) being among the teams with bad skills while your elite teams are so precise with everything ... but when everyone has poor skills, the utter chaos is amazing :D

Think it's going to go the way of the WNBA - league supported at first by people's enthusiasm for it, then after ~10 years you get a few star players entering the league that are much more developed and athletic than the rest who can draw some audience. Kind of like what Candace Parker did for the WNBA - coming in as a rookie, flashy & skilled, destroying everyone, and getting a lot of publicity for the league.

Think it's going to go the way of the WNBA - league supported at first by people's enthusiasm for it, then after ~10 years you get a few star players entering the league that are much more developed and athletic than the rest who can draw some audience. Kind of like what Candace Parker did for the WNBA - coming in as a rookie, flashy & skilled, destroying everyone, and getting a lot of publicity for the league.

So the Better Players coming in would be Thru the Draft from the Juniors?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got home after a week in Melbourne, visiting family. I dragged my brother to the game last night, as he wasn't that keen on the idea. Although the result didn't go our way, (we're not the only team to have only kicked 1 goal for the game) we were both pleased we went and were part of history going to the first AFLW game.
Cudos for the effort of our girls. Bring on next week.
p.s. My hatred for princess park hasn't wained.

Just got home after a week in Melbourne, visiting family. I dragged my brother to the game last night, as he wasn't that keen on the idea. Although the result didn't go our way, (we're not the only team to have only kicked 1 goal for the game) we were both pleased we went and were part of history going to the first AFLW game.
Cudos for the effort of our girls. Bring on next week.
p.s. My hatred for princess park hasn't wained.

Glad to see you enjoyed your time in the home of football Gungadin.........also the hatred for that ground.
I had to have two showers after our VFL final last year at that ground. :eek:

P.S I hope your health is well after the surgery last year :thumbsu:

I'd think so. The first legit superstar AFLW player we'll have is probably some 8 year old whose going to pick up a footy for the first time next Monday.
Monique Conti, and she is 16/17, not 8, if footy can keep her away from US college basketball and the WNBL. Without the AFLW, footy would have no hope of keeping her. Which is the point of having the AFLW now, not waiting and growing the game `bottom up`, as the players you need to do that, leave.

Does anyone know the plans for adding more teams? I imagine more teams will dilute the talent a bit more and it may take a bit longer for the standard to rise up.

Some clubs got 'provisional licences' (eg: St Kilda) which means that they will be given a team at the next intake. There was some suggestion that would be 2018, but I guess there's a lot that needs to happen before we get to that stage.

Some other clubs have chosen to join the state league instead (eg: Hawthorn) which is a different pathway.

Sure last nights figures may have had the novelty factor and also two rival clubs but I think from now on a crowd of anything above 6000 is a win.

And our home ground can't even hold that many!

I could easily imagine that our girls will need to move to Vic Park (and to appease the council / Residents our VFL team will need to move to the Holden Centre)

Some clubs got 'provisional licences' (eg: St Kilda) which means that they will be given a team at the next intake. There was some suggestion that would be 2018, but I guess there's a lot that needs to happen before we get to that stage.

Some other clubs have chosen to join the state league instead (eg: Hawthorn) which is a different pathway.
Geelong is positioning themselves very well for one of the first expansion spots by getting a VWFL side too. St Kilda is still pushing hard for a team. North is increasing their connection to the Melb Uni team and a women's team is representing North in a curtain raiser to a JLT match. I haven't heard much from Richmond.

The first expansion is going to be extremely hard fought I reckon. Clubs with provincial licences would be rightly pissed off if Hawthorn leap frogs them, but if Hawthorn's VWFL side is extremely well run that would make things interesting for the AFL.

My tip is Geelong and St Kilda will be the next two teams from Victoria.

Harsh criticism is fine imo, part of being a professional league. If they want to build this league they're gonna have to find a way to score more.
I don't think the build up was all you would want with talk of winning the flag and all before a ball was bounced.
Fingers crossed it was an anomaly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back