Wimmera League 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

No sure about this weekend but next weekend there is:

Horsham Demons v Horsham United at Laharum > should be a ripper!

Horsham Saints v Beaufort at Coughlin Park

Heard today that prac match Hsm v Diggers may not be on due to diggers no.s that does not sound good for rd 1. May not be such a super saturday for the diggers rd1....

Heard today that prac match Hsm v Diggers may not be on due to diggers no.s that does not sound good for rd 1. May not be such a super saturday for the diggers rd1....

No way in the world they can field two sides this year. 22 departures and 3 arrivals. You can't expect kids to play 2 games every week to keep the side on the park. Apparently very poor numbers at training.:(

Updated In's & Outs for 2010 (as at 28/03)

United:

departures: Wade, Kearney, McDonald, Mitton, McInerney, Friend, Agnew, Lovel, Vettos, Borgas, King, Rabone, N Byrne, J Byrne, Rowan, Marsh, Wills, Miller, Niewand, Jones, Renton, Cassidy

arrivals: Argall, Phelan, Webster, Eldridge

Demons:

departures: Carr, M Arnell, Giampoalo, Curran, Stevenson, Soderman, Pekin, Ballinger, Ward, Manserra, Ross, O'Callaghan, Ison, Kelly, Kirby

arrivals: D Sinclair, Nelson, Parish, Adamson, Hinch, Jones, Renton

Saints:

departures: Hoe, Knott, Nelson, Hyde, Brennan, King, Rigby, Cook-Harrison, Taggert

arrivals: B Ward, Watson, R Bird, N Byrne, J Byrne, T Wills, J Boehm, Walter

Eagles:

departures: Hutchison, Peters, Bell, George, McGrath, Nelson, McKenzie, Walder, Morcom

arrivals: McDonald, Hearn, Hartnett, Bell

Burras:

departures: Carter, Waldron, J Delahunty, Ruwoldt, Thomas, Walsh, Blandford, Frost

arrivals: Scharper, Smith, Turmine

Dimboola:

departures: McKenzie

arrivals: Exell, Prizabilla, Currie, Ruwoldt

Nhill:

departures: Brodhurst, Merrett, Graham, Mock, Williamson, Fritsch, Schwedes, Dickinson, Scott

arrivals: Batson, Hedt

Stawell:

departures: Duke, Parkin, Carr, Wilksch, Homden, McKenzie

arrivals: D.McDonald, J Delahunty, A Potter, M Jennings, Cassidy, Eales, Ellis, Ellen

Ararat:

departures: J Searle, Harrison, Cunningham, Cronin, McMahon, McGrath, Bell, Hamilton, Kelly, L Dadswell, Brennan, Homburg

arrivals: Karslake, Schwab, B Turner, J Waring, T Waring, Young, Butler, Phillips, Robb, Sheenan, Boatman, Cain, Carter, Cocking, Dunford, Ganley, Jerram, Johnston, Nicholson, Robertson, Taylor, Woods

My mail is that the Diggers are slowly but surely getting a lengthy list together so I’m not so sure about that. It may be that the second 22 are not much chop but you might get a surprise when you see who is pulling on the boots!

Hey Fancy big strong rumour up Rats way is they have lost a couple more big names in Fratin and Bligh going to Natte in the Lexton league? any one else heard that:confused:

My mail is that the Diggers are slowly but surely getting a lengthy list together so I’m not so sure about that. It may be that the second 22 are not much chop but you might get a surprise when you see who is pulling on the boots!

Drove past tonight numbers looked a little better. 20 maybe....

Hey Fancy big strong rumour up Rats way is they have lost a couple more big names in Fratin and Bligh going to Natte in the Lexton league? any one else heard that:confused:

http://www.mailtimes.com.au/news/lo...rules/coach-slams-deserting-rats/1784985.aspx

Have a read of this gentlemen. Article from todays Mail Times. Turner is spewing about the departures from the Rats this year. By the looks of it Fancy most of the Rats recruits are juniors out of the local leagues.

Majority of Ararat inwards clearances are for junior players. WFL site has 29 inwards listed and 16 are for the U/14 team coming out of the local junior comp. Few more are former U/14s returning after playing in U/16 teams in other leagues to have a final year of U/17 football.
Clearly if Fish had 29 senior calibre players looking to come in he wouldn't be providing the WMT with the sort of story he did today.

"ARARAT coach Scott Turner has slammed several of his departing players for their lack of loyalty before the Wimmera Football League season."

That sentence is fairly inaccurate for a start, 3 of the players named in the article (Cashin, Searle and Harrison) all started there junior football at Ararat. Searle went on to play TAC and VFL and Cashin played school footy at Ballarat, both returned to Ararat and now are playing a higher level football. Harrison hasn't played anywhere else since since he was in juniors. I think of the players leaving, those 3 weren't very good examples of "lack of loyalty".

So who are the disloyal players, and why are they (Cashin, Searle and Harrison) leaving?
As I said, I think Cashin and Searle are going to higher level football and Harrison is going to Avoca to play with mates. Not real sure who the disloyal players are. Don't think any of those boys are chasing big dollars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not sure what Turner is sooking about - from what i can see 95% of players have good reason to leave.
Searle and Cashin have gone to a higher league
Leo Bell gone to play where his brother is assistant coach
McMahon and Cronin have returned to where they played before Ararat.
Not sure about Harrison's reason?

The majority of the ins at the Rats are kids who will be playing in the juniors, both under 17s and 14s although there are a few recruits who will be playing senior footy.

"ARARAT coach Scott Turner has slammed several of his departing players for their lack of loyalty before the Wimmera Football League season."

That sentence is fairly inaccurate for a start, 3 of the players named in the article (Cashin, Searle and Harrison) all started there junior football at Ararat. Searle went on to play TAC and VFL and Cashin played school footy at Ballarat, both returned to Ararat and now are playing a higher level football. Harrison hasn't played anywhere else since since he was in juniors. I think of the players leaving, those 3 weren't very good examples of "lack of loyalty".
SB

Can you confirm for Ararat and/or Stawell.

I have always been of the belief that Ararat & Stawell have junior try outs each year and the best squad is picked for there U17's & 14's from these try outs.

If this is the case I was say the club shows no loyalties to its players. More of a best on culture than loyalty culture. Ararat & Stawell always seem to have top aged juniors but that does not resinate thru to numbers in senior ranks.

If it is correct I would say that the culture is one nurtured by the club and not of the players.

SB

Can you confirm for Ararat and/or Stawell.

I have always been of the belief that Ararat & Stawell have junior try outs each year and the best squad is picked for there U17's & 14's from these try outs.

If this is the case I was say the club shows no loyalties to its players. More of a best on culture than loyalty culture. Ararat & Stawell always seem to have top aged juniors but that does not resinate thru to numbers in senior ranks.

If it is correct I would say that the culture is one nurtured by the club and not of the players.

Yes I believe that Ararat do have try outs between the leagues, hence why Ararat's juniors are so competive each year. Not so sure if this is the case with Stawell though.:confused:

I think a lot of people are pretty interested about what is and isn’t happening down your way. While it might not actually be the case there is a lot of talk about the Diggers not being able to field a reserves side this coming season. Last year Ararat was the first ever Wimmera League club that I know of to have to forfeit and adult Football match. The Wimmera Football League is staring down the barrel of losing its major League status if either club struggles to come up with the numbers.

Showing your youth young lady. Jeparit achieved this 'feat' in the late 80s.

Yes I believe that Ararat do have try outs between the leagues, hence why Ararat's juniors are so competive each year. Not so sure if this is the case with Stawell though.:confused:

Complete and utter bullshit the 'tryouts' theory.

The local U/13 competition has between 20 and 30 top aged players graduate every year. The majority annually choose to play at Ararat which enables the club to field a top aged U/14 lineup every season making them very competitive against the rest of the league. After that they generally move away for the next two years before returning as top aged players with the U/17 team. A few stay due to being good enough to play U/17s straight away or due to family club loyalties.
This also results in the U/17 team always being very competitive due to being predominantly top aged or quality younger guys.
However, the net result is that the young players never develop a lasting bond to the club making it far easier for them to decide to move away straight after U/17s or early in their senior careers. Having the boys bounce around clubs chasing underage games for the period between 14 and 17 years of age doesn't help any local club in the Ararat area retain their youth players.
I would also suggest that it results in boys choosing to remain in the U/17 side rather than test themselves at WFL senior level far too often. Horsham has successfully used many U/17s in their senior lineup during their glorious run of premierships. During the same time the Rats have not used anywhere near as many and has then seen many of the boys tagged as the 'future' of the club move away within a year or two of graduating to open age footy.

The Rats fold in the near future? Not likely.
The Rats return to being a competitive senior lineup in the near future? Not unless they can start to push their better juniors into senior footy when ready, not just when they are too old for underage football.

Complete and utter bullshit the 'tryouts' theory.

The local U/13 club has between 20 and 30 top aged players graduate every year. The majority annually choose to play at Ararat which enables the club to field a top aged U/14 lineup every season making them very competitive against the rest of the league. After that they generally move away for the next two years before returning as top aged players with the U/17 team. A few stay due to being good enough to play U/17s straight away or due to family club loyalties.
This also results in the U/17 team always being very competitive due to being predominantly top aged or quality younger guys.
However, the net result is that the young players never develop a lasting bond to the club making it far easier for them to decide to move away straight after U/17s or early in their senior careers. Having the boys bounce around clubs chasing underage games for the period between 14 and 17 years of age doesn't help any local club in the Ararat area retain their youth players.
I would also suggest that it results in boys choosing to remain in the U/17 side rather than test themselves at WFL senior level far too often. Horsham has successfully used many U/17s in their senior lineup during their glorious run of premierships. During the same time the Rats have not used anywhere near as many and has then seen many of the boys tagged as the 'future' of the club move away within a year or two of graduating to open age footy.

The Rats fold in the near future? Not likely.
The Rats return to being a competitive senior lineup in the near future? Not unless they can start to push their better juniors into senior footy when ready, not just when they are too old for underage football.

Great post grimmett the try out theory is b-s but what you said about the rest is spot on. No club in the wfl will come close to winning a junior flag with the ararat theory, but then do u want junior flags or senior flags? Your comparison to hsm and ararat is right play your juniors in the seniors if there good enough, horsham have proved that! It does help with a few guns around them though especially when they play for bugger all $ wise.

Yes, the bullshit of the tryouts theory is it doesn't happen. There are no tryouts. The club invites every junior graduating from the ADJFA to come and play U/14s. The majority accept the invitation.

The innuendo with united is over, They played horsham today and had 24 players and two of them are near 40, only a hand full at senior standard and i heard they asked a 14yr old to fill in! There was a 16-18 gl margin after two qtrs. Not good signs for diggers, to there credit apparently the players stuck at it and played 6 qtrs huge effort.

A R A R A T!

Why would they be leaving i wonder......?

Young side.... Yes

Recruits over the ast 3 years under Turner ....about 3

Do the kids get sick of getting belted each week by bigger bodies and no one to look after them because they dont recruit.....Yes.

Does Turner relate well with the kids......No

When the really loyal players are moving on, well there must be a reason musn't there!

Say no more. :cool:

Updated In's & Outs for 2010 (as at 28/03)

United:

departures: Wade, Kearney, McDonald, Mitton, McInerney, Friend, Agnew, Lovel, Vettos, Borgas, King, Rabone, A Byrne, N Byrne, J Byrne, Rowan, Marsh, Wills, Miller, Niewand, Jones, Renton, Cassidy, Cooke, Parfett

arrivals: Argall, Phelan, Webster, Eldridge

Demons:

departures: Carr, M Arnell, Giampoalo, Curran, Stevenson, Soderman, Pekin, Ballinger, Ward, Manserra, Ross, O'Callaghan, Ison, Kelly, Kirby, Pearson

arrivals: D Sinclair, Nelson, Parish, Adamson, Hinch, Jones, Renton

Saints:

departures: Hoe, Knott, Nelson, Hyde, Brennan, King, Rigby, Cook-Harrison, Taggert

arrivals: B Ward, Watson, R Bird, A Byrne, N Byrne, J Byrne, T Wills, J Boehm, Walter, Bryan, Cassidy, Barber, Dempster

Eagles:

departures: Hutchison, Peters, Bell, George, McGrath, Nelson, McKenzie, Walder, Morcom

arrivals: McDonald, Hearn, Hartnett, Bell

Burras:

departures: Carter, Waldron, J Delahunty, Ruwoldt, Thomas, Walsh, Blandford, Frost

arrivals: Scharper, Smith, Turmine

Dimboola:

departures: McKenzie

arrivals: Exell, Prizabilla, Currie, Ruwoldt

Nhill:

departures: Brodhurst, Merrett, Graham, Mock, Williamson, Fritsch, Schwedes, Dickinson, Scott

arrivals: Batson, Hedt

Stawell:

departures: Duke, Parkin, Carr, Wilksch, Homden, McKenzie

arrivals: D.McDonald, J Delahunty, A Potter, M Jennings, Eales, Ellis, Ellen

Ararat:

departures: J Searle, Harrison, Cunningham, Cronin, McMahon, McGrath, Bell, Hamilton, Kelly, L Dadswell, Brennan, Homburg

arrivals: Karslake, Schwab, B Turner, J Waring, T Waring, Young, Butler, Phillips, Robb, Sheenan, Boatman, Cain, Carter, Cocking, Dunford, Ganley, Jerram, Johnston, Nicholson, Robertson, Taylor, Woods

A R A R A T!

Why would they be leaving i wonder......?

Young side.... Yes

Recruits over the ast 3 years under Turner ....about 3

Do the kids get sick of getting belted each week by bigger bodies and no one to look after them because they dont recruit.....Yes.

Does Turner relate well with the kids......No

When the really loyal players are moving on, well there must be a reason musn't there!

Say no more. :cool:

Happen to play them on saturday, interesting fact that they had only, i repeat only 3 players over the age of 20 playing, fratin, batch and someone else. Although there younger players did very very well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back