Injury Will McLean come good in 2011? (just Carlton supporters)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunch of comedians over here...you guys really are a funny bunch.

FYI saying that your club would except a shitter deal if it had not have secured McLean is just blatantly stupid....but then again Carlton did give up pick 11 for McLean so you never know what they will do.

Moron...

But we could have taken Jetta, Gysberts, Griffiths, Batsinac, Koby Stevens or David Astbury instead. McLean is slow and an average kick, we way overpaid for him. Glad to see the club held onto it's picks this year.
Why are you listing these names?

If Carlton had have drafted Lucas and Pittard like was suggested on here, you would be whining about why we passed on Jetta, Gysberts, Bastinac, Fyfe and Duncan and wasted pick 12 on a VFL player.

Carlton traded picks 36 and 53 for Laidler and pick 41, so you're clearly a thinking supporter.

Any critic needs to watch Mclean's first two games before you call him slow and a bad kick. Slow coach Mclean outmarked Cotchin one out and played on quickly after landing on his feet to drive it long to Setanta. Mclean handballed more than he kicked in round one, yet that kick plus another high percentage pass off his left to Setanta produced scores.

Mclean isn't Gibbs, but is a good kick and decision maker.

Generally I would agree with you.

But Brock is seriously starting well behind the eight ball - so a dedicated and sober 6 weeks off prior to pre-season training would be to his advantage.
Why is Mclean starting behind the eight ball?

Pre-season is yet to start.

Mclean is one of the fittest players and more dedicated players at Carlton with his training, so lets rumours do a Hutchison with a non-event. :rolleyes:
Lol that is the dumbest thing I have ever read.
Have you read that you traded for Grigg who isn't even a poor man's Mclean?

Why is Mclean starting behind the eight ball?

Pre-season is yet to start.

Mclean is one of the fittest players and more dedicated players at Carlton with his training, so lets rumours do a Hutchison with a non-event. :rolleyes:

Have you read that you traded for Grigg who isn't even a poor man's Mclean?

If Brock wants to join the ranks of AFL elite then training twice a day during the off season is a great start but public displays of drunkeness should be very low on his list of priorities. ;)

If Brock wants to join the ranks of AFL elite then training twice a day during the off season is a great start but public displays of drunkeness should be very low on his list of priorities. ;)

Perspective is required here. While he may have been spotted in a drunken state he doesn't appear to have sullied his or the clubs reputation with any undue antics (otherwise we would have read about it from media types who love to blab this shit) and I am confident he doesn't take his fitness lightly.

Surely in our over regulated, politically correct, can't do anything that the vocal minority don't agree with modern society we can allow him one day out.

Being drunk and being a ******** when you're drunk are still two different things.

Perspective is required here. While he may have been spotted in a drunken state he doesn't appear to have sullied his or the clubs reputation with any undue antics (otherwise we would have read about it from media types who love to blab this shit) and I am confident he doesn't take his fitness lightly.

Surely in our over regulated, politically correct, can't do anything that the vocal minority don't agree with modern society we can allow him one day out.

Being drunk and being a ******** when you're drunk are still two different things.

If I was Brock and was wanting to ensure that I was doing everything that was possible to bring myself into A1 shape for the commencement of pre-season training I would not only be training twice a day I would also be doing everything I could to make sure that I was presenting myself in an A1 manner wherever or whenever I went out in public.

Perspective is one thing – Perception is another. ;)

If I was Brock and was wanting to ensure that I was doing everything that was possible to bring myself into A1 shape for the commencement of pre-season training I would not only be training twice a day I would also be doing everything I could to make sure that I was presenting myself in an A1 manner wherever or whenever I went out in public.

Perspective is one thing – Perception is another. ;)

I hear you, particularly in relation to the highlighted word but it is the off season. Pre season doesn't start for another two or so weeks and we all know one day on the grog will have no lasting effect on his fitness.

If he'd been caught acting the goat I'd have a different argument and this brings me to the interesting thing about perception in terms of 'perception is reality'. How much importance is attached to the 'reality' of the situation is really the key; ie is it really that important that he was seen knocking them back at the races and some club afterwards when he appears to have offended no one and is minding his own business?

Lets face it, I can't see him turning up to day one of pre season below the bench mark he would have been set prior to going on holiday. I would expect the ramifications for doing so would not be worth the trouble.

Bunch of comedians over here...you guys really are a funny bunch.

FYI saying that your club would except a shitter deal if it had not have secured McLean is just blatantly stupid....but then again Carlton did give up pick 11 for McLean so you never know what they will do.

Your point is invalid.

1. Brett Deledio - Richmond
2. Jarryd Roughead - Hawthorn
3. Ryan Griffen - Western Bulldogs
4. Richard Tambling - Richmond
5. Lance Franklin - Hawthorn

Thanks for that Between the Lines, but as a Collingwood supporter shouldn't you be posting on the Collingwood board...just to say Hi even. I'm not sure starting off your posting life in a Carlton thread is typical of a Pie;) You might have needed a few posts over there first to complete your cover 007.

Someone using deceptive behaviour to point out another's fantasy life is part of why this thread has become a funny example of forum behaviour. Throw in a few spats and some posts actually on topic and it has actually been entertaining, in a cover your eyes sort of way:D

Thanks for your comments drusswaylander. Like you, I love a conspiracy theory and yes, you're quite right I have not posted on the Collingwood board and I'm definitely not a "typical pie". I have all my teeth: have Carlton interests, been to most Carlton games @ ( as well as the Pie games ) and whilst I don't need to justify my "big footy" communications I chose to respond to Brazil Blue's posts because I felt strongly enough about them.

I am a genuine,real, bona fide Collingwood supporter and paid up member. I am not using an alias or being deceptive, but do acknowledge your research was correct and I have only posted on the Carlton board. I am an exhuberant Premiership member at the moment and nothing on the Collingwood board was controversial enough to inspire me to post anything different to what's already there.

Look forward to posting some more, feel free come over and post on Collingwood's board. I don't know if you're satisfied with my level of "Collingwoodness", but happy to stay in contact should you require further information

Cheers for now !

Thanks for your comments drusswaylander. Like you, I love a conspiracy theory and yes, you're quite right I have not posted on the Collingwood board and I'm definitely not a "typical pie". I have all my teeth: have Carlton interests, been to most Carlton games @ ( as well as the Pie games ) and whilst I don't need to justify my "big footy" communications I chose to respond to Brazil Blue's posts because I felt strongly enough about them.

I am a genuine,real, bona fide Collingwood supporter and paid up member. I am not using an alias or being deceptive, but do acknowledge your research was correct and I have only posted on the Carlton board. I am an exhuberant Premiership member at the moment and nothing on the Collingwood board was controversial enough to inspire me to post anything different to what's already there.

Look forward to posting some more, feel free come over and post on Collingwood's board. I don't know if you're satisfied with my level of "Collingwoodness", but happy to stay in contact should you require further information

Cheers for now !

Something suss about this one. Like its politics but way too erudite and downright civil for mine. :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers for now !

It was hardly extensive research, you have only posted a few times and all in this thread:D I'm not sure that anything on Big Footy is really a good conspiracy theory, it's not really up there with the biggies on the world stage.

So you joined an AFL footy forum in May and your first posts are about a social issue and not even on the forum of the club you exuberantly support?

Hello, Collingwood won a flag. Couldn't even bring yourself to post Woo hoo we won, or well done chaps on the Pies board. As a carlton supporter I would find that hard to do and I suspect so would you;)

If you an exuberant Collingwood supporter can't even post on your own board in a flag year, why should I. So I shall decline your kind invitation to do so.

I'm sure you have watched a number of Carlton games and most probably many more than you have the Pies:p I really don't think you are a typical Pie at all, so we agree on that:thumbsu:

The irony...

Re: Will McLean come good in 2011 ... now 2012 (last chance saloon) (just Carlton supporters)

Would not have thought of bumping this old thread ... strike the popcorn picture from Thy .....

But given the fact that he has had an injury free preseason, seems to be tracking well, some would say played half decent in the rubbish games ... I think we will be watching him with a keen eye in the doggies game.

I for one am in the pretty sure its over for him category but that something could be possible.

What makes the difference between someone like McLean and Ball ... is Ball actually faster?

Why was Ball so critical to Collingwood and what would a fit and injury free McLean be to us?

All I know he is at the last chance saloon. Many here would think it would not matter what he did ... and I respond by if that is the case at least hopefully he will be able to lift his trade value???

So Brock hope it all comes together best of luck!

Re: Will McLean come good in 2011 ... now 2012 (last chance saloon) (just Carlton supporters)

But given the fact that he has had an injury free preseason, seems to be tracking well, some would say played half decent in the rubbish games ... I think we will be watching him with a keen eye in the doggies game.

I for one am in the pretty sure its over for him category but that something could be possible.

It's not going to be easy for Mclean, as he is sitting on a knife's edge.
He needs to string severall quality games together for us to regain faith, and only one poor match will have us stamping his papers.

Everyone will be watching Mclean closely, but I must say, he's given himself the best opportunity to make an impact.
Wish him well.

I too am on the "Think Brock will actually show his worth this year"... not sure if it's to do with seeing him in the intra-club or first round or just because Zee is somehow brainwashing... but I'm somewhat confident

I want him to succeed but don't believe he will as much as I do with Collins. He's done everything right this preseason, but all we can do now as supporters is wait and see how it works when it counts..

Have a gut feeling he will make it.

Last season he couldn't get near the ball in the AFL (as opposed to VFL) last weekend he was all over it.

He's a a fantastic handball and impressive kick for an inside player. If he translates his preseason form to the season proper I'm confident he'll be there for most of the season.

Good to see some Blues fans are still dreaming about Mclean making a impact with us lack of leg speed not creative by hand or by foot means he has no weapons as a mid-fielder at the elite level.

Mclean has not played any decent football for at least 3-4 years now, highly likely as a well paid player he will free up some salary cap space at year end.

I hope we get something out of Mclean considering we could have drafted Gysberts, Talia, Menzel, Fyfe, Duncan, Sam Reid or Vardy instead. Imagine if we took Lucas at 11 and Fyfe at 12. We would have made the rest of the competition look stupid, but we didn't. So we didn't get the best out of pick 11, far from it, but we haven't yet wasted it. If Mclean gets a game and lifts his output to that above Curnow and Ellard and doesn't get exploited for being slow then I will be happy.

I am thinking that Mclean will be tried in a more defensive close checking role this year, similar to Ling. Not over defensive, still a focus on getting the ball, but playing close and competing for it rather than just roving it and hunting the ball. Fair chance he will stand the opposition's best extracting onballer like Watson, Selwood, Kerr, Ball/Swann, Mitchell/Sewell etc and just play close but compete for the ball and still hold an emphasis on getting the ball while stopping his man, just like Ling. Good old fashion contested footy. At least this will put him where the ball is when we lose the hit outs (and often when we don't) and give him a chance to still get it and get clearances and stop a good player while doing it. This is why Ling was so valuable because every possession he got was one a very good opponent didn't. This could make or break us if he succeeds but if he doesn't then he will be delisted and we will have flushed a perfectly good draft pick down the toilet. Either way I still hold some hope that Mclean can play this role and play it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back