Wheel of Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Has been ages since I read them but from memory Sanderson kicks the plot into overdrive and gets through it at a breakneck pace.
It got back on track with Knife of Dreams finishing up many of the unfinished plot lines. I don't think for three books Sanderson's joint work moved at any greater pace then Knife of Dreams. Both the last three and KoD move at a pace more reminiscent of the first 6 books, before the lull of 7-9 and complete standstill of Crossroads of Twilight.

It got back on track with Knife of Dreams finishing up many of the unfinished plot lines. I don't think for three books Sanderson's joint work moved at any greater pace then Knife of Dreams. Both the last three and KoD move at a pace more reminiscent of the first 6 books, before the lull of 7-9 and complete standstill of Crossroads of Twilight.
Knife of Dreams certainly moved things along. 20% into first Sanderson book. Stuff happening, but guessing we'll see climax and progression in second half of book.

Knife of Dreams certainly moved things along. 20% into first Sanderson book. Stuff happening, but guessing we'll see climax and progression in second half of book.
The thing that confuses with Sanderson's first two books (and this isn't really a spoiler as I won't say who or what) the first focuses on some major characters, with others barely mentioned, then the second on the other major characters. To the point where the second starts at the same time as the beginning of the first, before catching up by around halfway through ToM, ready for all to lined up for the final book. They did this as if they focused equally on all the major characters then the first book wouldn't have ended on a climax (TGS has one hell of an ending). After RJ's death and the inevitable delay, they wanted a book for readers with some things resolved, before having to wait more years before the second book.

Now they've all been released though, someone did put together a combined The Gathering Storm / Towers of Midnight chapter order (attached if interested) that has the timeline fixed up so you can read it, as it would have been if TGS and ToM had been one massive book. If you've got both books and don't mind doing some swapping back and forth until midway through ToM I'd recommend it as the way to go. The story reads as less disjointed, with reactions to events occurring as they happen, rather than retrospectively in some cases a lot later.

Attachments

• WoT Combined Reading 2016.pdf
    167.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

The thing that confuses with Sanderson's first two books (and this isn't really a spoiler as I won't say who or what) the first focuses on some major characters, with others barely mentioned, then the second on the other major characters. To the point where the second starts at the same time as the beginning of the first, before catching up by around halfway through ToM, ready for all to lined up for the final book. They did this as if they focused equally on all the major characters then the first book wouldn't have ended on a climax (TGS has one hell of an ending). After RJ's death and the inevitable delay, they wanted a book for readers with some things resolved, before having to wait more years before the second book.

Now they've all been released though, someone did put together a combined The Gathering Storm / Towers of Midnight chapter order (attached if interested) that has the timeline fixed up so you can read it, as it would have been if TGS and ToM had been one massive book. If you've got both books and don't mind doing some swapping back and forth until midway through ToM I'd recommend it as the way to go. The story reads as less disjointed, with reactions to events occurring as they happen, rather than retrospectively in some cases a lot later.
Books jumping back to "catch up" with other characters view points is not unique to Sanderson, happens a bit in Jordan's books in the series as well.

I read on the Kindle, so as much as appreciate the timeline adjustment it's too difficult to do the back and forths. Will stick with it as written.

In what way? You'll have to refresh my memory.
Well one he refuses to accept that while Rand isn’t as knowledgeable as LTT with the use of the power, he’s still as powerful as LTT, he doesn’t seem to realise that both Rand and Graendal are pushing him into a trap, and he doesn’t seem to pick up that Graendal is telling him that something is going on in Shara. The dude is an idiot, yeah he may be a great general when it comes to war, but everything else…he’s a moron.

Nah... that's "The Eye of the World".
I actually don’t mind Siuan up until Book 5, she’s a decent Amyrlin and I get why she’s a little pissy in book 5, however Lord of Chaos it’s just painful getting through her chapters…especially since you more or less have to put up with her and the Salidar Aes Sedai (whom are absolutely incompetent) at the same time lol not even Nynaeve and Elayne, whom I like can save them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol true, no wonder the dark lord didn’t succeed in The Age of Legends with that group.

He purposefully chose his chosen for their greed and self-interest. IIRC, at the height of The Age of Legends there were dozens of them. Those that were the best were the ones that survived. In hindsight it was a bad idea.

I'm 80 odd percent through the last book. Had another child 2 months ago and just absolutely stalled in finishing the series as so so tired at night. Got a chunk read last night, paying for it today. Hard to put down in the last part when the last battle is raging.

I'm 80 odd percent through the last book. Had another child 2 months ago and just absolutely stalled in finishing the series as so so tired at night. Got a chunk read last night, paying for it today. Hard to put down in the last part when the last battle is raging.
Enjoy! I heard AMoL is a brilliant book, I’ve never gotten past book 9 though. Loved book 9, but I couldn’t get into book 10 the last time I tried, determined this time to make it! Enjoy the last book!

One way to find out if you’ve changed over time. In the middle of Chapter 9 - Plans in Lord of Chaos, it’s a Pedron Niall / Morgase chapter and it’s actually interesting reading what Niall at least is thinking / planning (I’ve just finished Niall’s POV, about to start Morgase’s POV), 20 years ago when I last read Lord of Chaos, I remember I found these chapters very boring to read, I just wanted to move forward to Rand/Mat/Perrin’s POV because it felt like so much was happening in those chapters and they were the characters I cared about at the time.

One way to find out if you’ve changed over time. In the middle of Chapter 9 - Plans in Lord of Chaos, it’s a Pedron Niall / Morgase chapter and it’s actually interesting reading what Niall at least is thinking / planning (I’ve just finished Niall’s POV, about to start Morgase’s POV), 20 years ago when I last read Lord of Chaos, I remember I found these chapters very boring to read, I just wanted to move forward to Rand/Mat/Perrin’s POV because it felt like so much was happening in those chapters and they were the characters I cared about at the time.
The Great Captain chapters have generally been good, seeing their machinations. Niall, Bryne, Ituralde (my favourite), Bashere. The only one who didn't really get fleshed out of those was Algemar.

The Great Captain chapters have generally been good, seeing their machinations. Niall, Bryne, Ituralde (my favourite), Bashere. The only one who didn't really get fleshed out of those was Algemar.
In the past I didn’t really enjoy them, probably because I was young and didn’t understand the appeal. These days they’re very interesting.

I read the chapter yesterday where Alanna does the thing and it still makes me so angry, especially when I remember later that Aes Sedai are super pissed off when they find out the Black Tower have done the same thing to some of the Aes Sedai. It’s not right either way, however it’s a massive case of what’s good for the goose isn’t good for the gander cause I don’t really recall any Aes Sedai outside of Elayne (and mostly because she’s pissed off Alanna did it before her) calling Alanna out for it.

I read the chapter yesterday where Alanna does the thing and it still makes me so angry, especially when I remember later that Aes Sedai are super pissed off when they find out the Black Tower have done the same thing to some of the Aes Sedai. It’s not right either way, however it’s a massive case of what’s good for the goose isn’t good for the gander cause I don’t really recall any Aes Sedai outside of Elayne (and mostly because she’s pissed off Alanna did it before her) calling Alanna out for it.

I remember the first time I read it. I was seething. It was the first time a book has ever actually made me mad.

I remember the first time I read it. I was seething. It was the first time a book has ever actually made me mad.
I’m still mad about it and I’m two chapters past it now. :D

Honestly Rand should have stilled Alanna right then and there, however I’m not sure if he would have survived her stilling so early in the bonding if he’d done it.

I have to say, that there wasn't much fallout from it actually happening, other than him being aware of it and jumping around to confuse her. Wasn't fully fleshed out to examine some of the potential to act due to it.

Reading Egwene’s first point of view chapter in Lord of Chaos and while I’ve never liked Gawyn (except for like book 1), I honestly don’t remember him being this pathetic. Lol

Finished the series earlier this week. Was a cracking finish. However, a lot of unanswered questions about what happens next. Would like a Mat follow up with him and Tuon going back to seanchan for example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back