Wheel of Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that was a real mix of Good, Bad & Ugly - but overall it's my favourite episode of the series so far.

I'm not sure why Min told Moiraine about one Rand viewing, before telling Rand a whole other set of visions. That discrepancy was rather jarring.

IIRC, she did give Moiraine a different one (or at least didn't tell the whole truth) in the books as well.

Josha’s acting chops really stood out this episode with a lot more material to work with. I can’t wait to see his portrayal of Darth Rand, we’ve already gotten some glimpses this season.

Josha’s acting chops really stood out this episode with a lot more material to work with. I can’t wait to see his portrayal of Darth Rand, we’ve already gotten some glimpses this season.

Same. He has already said the scenes he is most looking forward to are the box.

According to New Spring, Siuan and Moiraine being lovers was a real thing - I wasn't a fan of it either but I never read New Spring so I'll defer to what others have said about it.

The book called them pillow friends. And actually half the Aes Sedai they talk about in the books had pillow friends as novices. I must be really naive and gullible as I always thought it was teenage girls sleeping in the same bed sharing secrets. Add to that there was nothing like that in the books when Suian and Moraine came across each other when they were Aes Sedai. Does anyone have a quote from either Jordan, his wife or even Sanderson that this is the case? I've really enjoyed the show but that episode left me scratching my head!

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The book called them pillow friends. And actually half the Aes Sedai they talk about in the books had pillow friends as novices. I must be really naive and gullible as I always thought it was teenage girls sleeping in the same bed sharing secrets. Add to that there was nothing like that in the books when Suian and Moraine came across each other when they were Aes Sedai. Does anyone have a quote from either Jordan, his wife or even Sanderson that this is the case? I've really enjoyed the show but that episode left me scratching my head!

There's no explicit scenes in the books (the 'most' is Rand and Avi in the snow), in large part because RJ tried writing some and Harriet (his wife and editor) told him they were awful and not to do again. :p

A different interpretation of the Black Wind I can see might work better for TV, but again a bunch of minor changes for no point. Like Loial - 'We Ogier aren't known for our speed'. Umm, what? He boasts of outrunning a horse! He could just have said 'Moraine Sedai will leave us behind if we don't hurry'.

I think it's the small unneeded changes rather than the big ones that, as a book fan, annoy me most, because they are obviously unneeded and just come across as 'I'm a better storyteller / world builder than RJ!', as if the lessons of Hubris of D&D with GOT when they thought they could better GRRM aren't fresh in everyone's memories.

There's no explicit scenes in the books (the 'most' is Rand and Avi in the snow), in large part because RJ tried writing some and Harriet (his wife and editor) told him they were awful and not to do again. :p
That doesn't mean that pillow friends meant lesbian lovers. There was none of the intensity between Suian and Moiraine that would say that's the case.

The bad: Agelmar and the Borderlanders not respectful of Moraine at first was poor. Moraine selling Mat out to the Red's. The sooner Mat's back with the others the better. The Two Rivers bitching. Though add a belated one that the actor for Perrin is taller than the one for Rand. Yes, he should be much more muscular, but Rand should be taller. Moraine and Lan's talk, so many things wrong with it. That she cost him more, instead of saving him from a certain death in the Blight. The almost spoken 'Go bonk the Wisdom', instead of the a more gradual acceptance and setting Nynaeve up to have his Bond. Lan having a sort of family, instead of such a loner. Rand and Moraine going alone on foot to the Blight. Are horses really that expensive?

Mixed: Didn't mind Nynaeve and Lan hooking up, but 'Lan needing to belong, that's why he got bonded' is again going against his personality.

Good: Fain walking out of the Waygate, some hope that this storyline is not going to be completely cut. Min introduced (though Moraine threatening her could have been skipped).

Great: The Aiel, the Blood Snows and Rand revealed.

From Robert Jordan:

"Well, you put fifteen-year-old girls in a tower filled with almost entirely women, with their hormones raging on overdrive, keep them away from men, because you can’t afford to lose any of them, and what do you think is going to happen?"
Marcon 36 convention in May 2001

"Pillow friends are not just good friends. Oh, they are that, too, but they also get hot and sweaty together and muss up the sheets something fierce. By the way, pillow friends is a term used in the White Tower. The same relationship between men or women elsewhere would be called something else, depending on the country."
Robert Jordan's Blog on September 30, 2005

"For the most part, in this world such things are taken as a matter of course. Remember, Cadsuane is surprised that Shalon and Ailil were so hot to hide that they had been sharing a bed even knowing how prim and proper Cairhienin are on the surface. Well, for many it is just on the surface."
The Official Robert Jordan Blog on October 6, 2005

From Robert Jordan:

"Well, you put fifteen-year-old girls in a tower filled with almost entirely women, with their hormones raging on overdrive, keep them away from men, because you can’t afford to lose any of them, and what do you think is going to happen?"

"Pillow friends are not just good friends. Oh, they are that, too, but they also get hot and sweaty together and muss up the sheets something fierce. By the way, pillow friends is a term used in the White Tower. The same relationship between men or women elsewhere would be called something else, depending on the country."

"For the most part, in this world such things are taken as a matter of course. Remember, Cadsuane is surprised that Shalon and Ailil were so hot to hide that they had been sharing a bed even knowing how prim and proper Cairhienin are on the surface. Well, for many it is just on the surface."
I tip my hat to you and your WoT knowledge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not gonna lie, the best part of the show are the memes that follow.

whaq0nkor7681.png

SB2Li_oOakT8sB_18zb70-mUs46mkM3QPaFWY0rK_TE.jpg

y5273guas7681.jpg

x95yxuffy4681.jpg

iTG8eL9hYoW9IR8qfOwzr98yZvLDo6W_gJZtFpBDQuk.jpg

n8pqf05fu4681.jpg

From Robert Jordan:

Well that puts that to bed. Thanks for the quote.

So the last episode I watched was The Dragon Reborn. I loved it a lot, however FFXIV Endwalker came out the week after that so I’ve been occupied with that the last 3-4 weeks. I’m watching Episode 5 now and I’m enjoying it so far. I hate the white cloaks, I’m not sure how I feel about the Tinkers and their ‘peaceful’ protest, doesn’t really seem like the Tinkers. Loved the Logain parade through Tar Valon, the laugh at Mat and Rand was creepy though. The funeral made me cry, but I love the symbolism of Steppin melting Karene’s ring.

So Alanna is being joined up with Myrelle is she?

I didn’t like the end of Episode 5. It felt really forced, though I understand why they went with what they did, it still didn’t make sense for Lan’s character IMO.

Last edited:
Except for certain things I didn’t like, Episode 7 is probably my favourite episode so far. Hopefully 8 can top it! I’ve surprisingly managed to stay away from episode 8 spoilers this morning, so I’m going in completely blind.

I wonder if Lews Therin’s uniform is going to be what the Ashaman uniform is going to be should we get that far, I definitely got Ashaman vibes from it

OMG just finished episode 8! Binged the last 4 episodes today. I actually enjoyed the changes a lot in Episode 8 from the books. Loved the little epilogue at the end of Episode 8 as well.

However I now understand how Lord of the Rings fans felt when Tom Bombadil wasn’t included in the movies. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back