Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie 43 - Prime

Stumbled across this and thought it sounded hmm but it did remind me of Kentucky Fried Movie from well over 40 years ago

Basic sketches tied together by a theme usually with **** and crude humor

And yes it was like that

Movie 43 had a lot of star power but it just missed. Maybe I've seen the jokes before or they stretched a 4 minute gag into 9 minutes

Either way it wasn't great or terrible and a good s**t your brain off movie

If I get the chance to I'd go see other "classic" movies on the big screen again. If I hear about Die Hard is being shown I must go see it :p. Likewise even though I've already seen Robocop, Terminator 1, Predator on the big screen in recent times... I'd go see them again (and that's even with having a decent 4K tv and home setup in general).
Yeah I’ve been the same in the past. Even if you own a copy at home it is a real treat to make the pilgrimage and see them on the big screen. If you get good art cinemas near you that do weekly classics or retrospectives it is very awesome. Canberra was great for that, quick’n’easy to get around and you had Arc at NFSA, Palace, Dendy, Manuka, the occasional festival, etc.

Thought of another funny one (told the story on BF ages ago) but in 94...... I wanted to see The Mask. Had to see Street Fighter instead as a family member did not want to see the eye popping out sequence (still won on the day I guess :p. SF is a cult classic).

Got to see The Mask on video later on
As did the same family member who was against seeing it lol.

I need to check out the toxic avenger remake, original is a classic (and another movie I shouldn't have been allowed to watch when I was little lol).

IIRC my first movie in the cinema was The Phantom.

I have no idea why, I don't think I was aware of the character as a kid, and my dad who took me is not a phantom nerd, that's for sure. Maybe he just casually wanted to see it and took me along.

First solo movie? Chicken Run. Mum dropped me off to see 101 Dalmatians with friends, but we got the times wrong so I ended up at Chicken Run by myself, but I think that ended up in my favour. Better film.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

films mentioned in prior pages like Street Fighter, Power Rangers, Babe and The Phantom were (at least partly) shot in Australia, so they probably got enhanced promotion and audience curiosity here.

First film I ever saw outside TV was at the drive in watching Fiddler on the Roof. Barely remember it because I was so young. My parents and their friends went to a few drive in movies in those days and so much fun. My parents never took to me the cinema though and not sure even ever went to one. Think first movie in cinemas was Star Wars with my older brother and his mates . Was hooked after that.

The Beekeeper

Honestly a lot of fun.

Of the mindless Jason Statham revenge movies I have seen, this is one of the most self-aware. Ridiculous plot but it works - call center scammers who exploit the elderly make a great target as villains.

It was sitting at a 7/10 for most of it, but ultimately one too many bee related puns to justify that high a rating. But this movie knows exactly what it is and executes it very well.

Would recommend to anyone with a passing interest in the Jason Statham project.

6/10

Schlock classic … was in primary school when this came out and one kid had seen it and we’d always be asking him about it. It sounded like the greatest movie ever made. Saw it with my older cousins a few years later and it was everything he said.. watched it again as an adult and couldn’t believe how bad it was in terms of acting and SFX.

Funny enough ended up becoming a kids cartoon

Edit : my bad though you were talking about the original, didn’t know they’d re made it
Haha all good. Someone mentioned a Toxic Avenger remake, turns out there already was one lol

Road house (2024) the missus was watching MAFS and was in chill mode and didn’t want to think too much.

It was ok, other than the double duce reference in the back ground no throw backs to the original, or cameos (that I saw). Connor McGregor played Connor McGregor dialled up to 20, but was a bit too much maybe a 15 would’ve been better. The fight and action scene CGI was average.

Overall it was ok probably would never watch it again unless it was on FTA tv and i stumbled across it one night.

My first was The Champ with Robert Redford and Ricky Schroder.

Must have been about 3 or 4 and it was in the city. Think I cried.
Jon Voight. I saw that at the drive-in too.

My first big screen experience was Jaws as a 5 year old, also at the drive-in. ****ed me up a bit and I couldnt swim in water deeper than a few feet without freaking out for years. Star Wars my first cinema movie which blew me away. Not so much the movie, just the experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jon Voight. I saw that at the drive-in too.

My first big screen experience was Jaws as a 5 year old, also at the drive-in. ****ed me up a bit and I couldnt swim in water deeper than a few feet without freaking out for years. Star Wars my first cinema movie which blew me away. Not so much the movie, just the experience.

Mine was Towering Inferno. Must have been about 10. Pestered my parents to take me to the drive-in. Nightmares about fires after that.

Godzilla x Kong ....

That is what the big screen is for. Even more that is what DBOX is for.

The plot is ok, it makes sense and allows for some of the humans to have some fun with their performance. Rebecca Hall realised what movie she was in so had more fun than last time. I thought almost every performance was pretty good, no over acting or phonig in.

The fights, yeah that was fun. Only increasing the budget by another $100m would have allowed for more Kaiju fun. I actually didn't mind the setting for the final fights, it was different and there is only so much city based destruction you can have.

I prefer the G Man over Kong but he doesn't have emotions like Kong so understand the need to spend more time with him.

Can't wait for the next instalment, although probably have to go with alien invasion style theme because they are running out of earth based scenarios.

Solid 7.5-8 / 10

Okay, although I had seen some Disney reissues at the cinema, this is my earliest movie memory...

So, around 1974 I would have been in Grade Prep at Mordialloc Primary School. Every Friday afternoon they would take us (and the Grades 1 & 2) to the vacant church hall next door to screen a movie.

Now I assume these were films chosen from a catalogue for rental probably on 8mm or 16mm. If I remember they were cartoons or or Laurel and Hardy type pics that we all loved. And they were screened by an old battleaxe who would thread the projector and, and soon as the 5-1 leader appeared, would go outside for a smoke.

Anyway, on this particular day we are told we are going to see a "Punch and Judy" type movie. Fun with puppets. They had chosen "Puppet on a Chain" from the catalogue.

She threads the film, the leader begins, she lights her ciggie and goes outside.

Five minutes later, she hears the screams and crying from the kids, runs in and turns off the film. In future we did drawing or something in the classroom on Friday afternoons.

Here is the "Punch and Judy" type kids' flick, "Puppet on a Chain"

22 Bullets (L'Immortel).......Jean Reno plays a reformed gangster/hitman in Marseille who has turned his back on his previous life to settle down with his new wife and family until his old foes decide to bump him off by pumpimg........22 bullets into him. Standard revenge story with lots of violence which I had been meaning to get around to watching and finally have. Didn't realise it's based on a true story!! 7/10

Movie 43 - Prime

Stumbled across this and thought it sounded hmm but it did remind me of Kentucky Fried Movie from well over 40 years ago

Basic sketches tied together by a theme usually with **** and crude humor

And yes it was like that

Movie 43 had a lot of star power but it just missed. Maybe I've seen the jokes before or they stretched a 4 minute gag into 9 minutes

Either way it wasn't great or terrible and a good s**t your brain off movie
Movie is sooo horrible that its brilliant.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit... despite being familiar with many scenes, I had never actually seen this. Watched it with the kids and it was very good. Original idea mixing the real world with the cartoon world, it doesn't just rest on its gimmick but has the characters interact meaningfully, there's a good plot there and it holds up well given it's set in the past and on a Hollywood style set.

Bob Hoskins is a drunk PI with a grudge against toons who investigates after Roger Rabbit is accused of murdering a human. Hoskins is great, Christopher Lloyd is good, it's clearly a Robert Zemeckis film in a good way. 8/10.

IIRC my first movie in the cinema was The Phantom.

I have no idea why, I don't think I was aware of the character as a kid, and my dad who took me is not a phantom nerd, that's for sure. Maybe he just casually wanted to see it and took me along.

First solo movie? Chicken Run. Mum dropped me off to see 101 Dalmatians with friends, but we got the times wrong so I ended up at Chicken Run by myself, but I think that ended up in my favour. Better film.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Yeh it was.

Road house (2024) the missus was watching MAFS and was in chill mode and didn’t want to think too much.

It was ok, other than the double duce reference in the back ground no throw backs to the original, or cameos (that I saw). Connor McGregor played Connor McGregor dialled up to 20, but was a bit too much maybe a 15 would’ve been better. The fight and action scene CGI was average.

Overall it was ok probably would never watch it again unless it was on FTA tv and i stumbled across it one night.
I took the bookstore as a cheeky nod to the original (where Dalton has a Philosophy degree).

The first hospital scene is almost beat for beat in places too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back