Hodge is God

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2012
Wollongong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team, Brisbane Heat
Outside of Aussie Rules what other teams do you follow? Whether that be in rugby, rugby league, netball, cricket..

I am a huge cricket fan and support the Brisbane Heat in the Big Bash League. I always watch the Aussies play in tests to. Cricket is probably my favourite sport.

I do follow the Melbourne Storm in the NRL. Though not passionate, I can get involved in games. Like the GF, and having a laugh with a mate who is a Doggies supporter.

I guess I also support the New South Wales Waratahs in rugby but not nearly as passionate as rugby league and especially cricket and Aussie Rules.

Anyway, what are your favourite teams?

The Tassie Tigers are the one sporting team I can't be rational for. I can give kudos to the opposition if they beat the Hawks, and can quite comfortably analyse a loss, but I can't be nice to anyone who beats the Tigers. I f###ing hate every mainland state when they're onfield in opposition, and I want us to belt them senseless before we skin their carcasses and wash the car with them...something like that, there's a lot of resentment there. My dream is a Tassie cricket team wearing dark green to kill mainlanders in summer, and a Tassie footy team wearing dark green to smack them up every week in winter. The last decade has been glorious, the last couple of seasons a concern, but after growing up watching them as the distant poor relations of Australia cricket through to the early nineties, life is comparatively good these days...the love doesn't quite extend as passionately through to the Hurricanes, because they've got the word Hobart stuck to the front..when you're a Northerner, this isn't so good...but I still barrack for them. It's difficult to get passionate about an Aussie team without a Tasmanian in it...

Nothing can compare to being a Hawks fan. I played a lot of tennis and squash, so I like watching champions in both those sports, and as Pat Cash, the former Hawthorn footballer, brought his baby, Pat, the great Aussie tennis player to our house a few times when he was a baby, I followed his career with a passion.

BBL- Melbourne Stars KP is my favourite player
V8 Supercars- Holden through and through, Lowndes is my favourite driver
EPL- Tottenham
F1- Mercedes, Rosberg is my favourite driver
NRL-Melbourne Storm
Love test cricket too
I watch the IPL but don't really follow any team passionately, just watch it for entertainment.

Tottenham Hotspurs*
Chicago Bulls*, Blackhawks & Cubs
Washington Redskins
Melbourne Storm*
Ferrari F1
All Australian national teams
Both Melbourne soccer teams (loyalties divided)
Duke Blue Devils*
Melbourne Rebels
Melbourne United
*teams I am really passionate about.
Sports mad in general.

From a personal level Athletics was my first sport and i loved watching Daley Thompson and Michael Johnson compete. More recently Haile Gebrselassie.

Boxing - Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Marvin Hagler, Duran.

Team Sports..

1. Australian Wallabies - Love my rugby and the Wallabies are my second favourite team after my beloved Hawks. I have watched every world cup since 1987.

2. Melbourne Rebels - had to jump on board when the Rebels joined the super rugby competition.

3. Dallas Cowboys - keen follower of the NFL and fell in love with the cowboy cheerleaders when i was a little boy:)

4. Boston Celtics- Larry Bird.

5. Boston Red Sox - curse was finally broken a few years ago after a long drought.

6. Liverpool FC & Brazil Soccer team of the 80's.- Not a huge follower of the round ball, but I grouped these two teams from the 80's because i grew up watching Les Murray on Channel '0' as it was known and showing highlights of Liverpool and The Brazilian team competing in the world Cups. The skill displayed by these two teams was a joy to watch.

Love my Cricket also.

New York Jets (my current avatar is a photo of the Jets' best current player, Mohammad Wilkerson)

New York Knicks

Oakland Athletics

I'll follow the results of Manchester United, but ever since SBS lost the rights to show any EPL games, or even any highlights, I've lost interest in the EPL (I'm too tight to pay for Foxtel). For peculiar reasons, I also like to see Real Betis in the Spanish La Liga do well.

I used to support Jacques Villeneuve in Formula One (the first and so far only person to win the Indy 500 and the Formual One drivers championship) but since his retirement several years ago, my interest in Formula One has diminished. I never particularly supported Mark Webber, as something about his personality grated on me, but I would like Ricciardo to do well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New York Jets (my current avatar is a photo of the Jets' best current player, Mohammad Wilkerson)

New York Knicks

Oakland Athletics

I'll follow the results of Manchester United, but ever since SBS lost the rights to show any EPL games, or even any highlights, I've lost interest in the EPL (I'm too tight to pay for Foxtel). For peculiar reasons, I also like to see Real Betis in the Spanish La Liga do well.

I used to support Jacques Villeneuve in Formula One (the first and so far only person to win the Indy 500 and the Formual One drivers championship) but since his retirement several years ago, my interest in Formula One has diminished. I never particularly supported Mark Webber, as something about his personality grated on me, but I would like Ricciardo to do well.

I have a soft spot for the Jets and the Knicks, my dad has relatives who live in Queens New York and are crazy Jets fans.

My late brother loved Ice-Hockey and was a keen follower. He supported New York Rangers and wore their attire whenever he went out. Loved his Hawks also.

On trip to the states he happened to watch the rangers play, i remember him telling me he had never experienced anything like it before. The pace of the game, the crowd, the sheer exhilaration of the moment.

I have a soft spot for the Jets and the Knicks, my dad has relatives who live in Queens New York and are crazy Jets fans.

My late brother loved Ice-Hockey and was a keen follower. He supported New York Rangers and wore their attire whenever he went out. Loved his Hawks also.

On trip to the states he happened to watch the rangers play, i remember him telling me he had never experienced anything like it before. The pace of the game, the crowd, the sheer exhilaration of the moment.

I went to the exhibition ice hockey game in 2014 at Rod Laver Arena that "featured" a number of minor league hockey players. Apart from the clearly staged fight early in the game (to satisfy the stereotype of ice hockey), the game was very entertaining to watch, even if it didn't feature the top shelf stars of the sport.

I have a mate who follows NHL quite religiously and he's always telling me about how great the sport is.

I went to the exhibition ice hockey game in 2014 at Rod Laver Arena that "featured" a number of minor league hockey players. Apart from the clearly staged fight early in the game (to satisfy the stereotype of ice hockey), the game was very entertaining to watch, even if it didn't feature the top shelf stars of the sport.

I have a mate who follows NHL quite religiously and he's always telling me about how great the sport is.

They are a different breed the NHL followers. One of the sports I would watch during the Winter Olympics.

I follow quite a few sports so here it goes
GAA-Tyrone
Soccer-Celtic
NFL-Washington Redskins
NBA-Chicago Bulls
NHL-Chicago Blackhawks
MLB-Chicago White Sox
Rugby Union-Ulster and Ireland
Rugby League-Castleford Tigers
Boxing-Carl Frampton
I think that covers it!

I follow quite a few sports so here it goes
GAA-Tyrone
Soccer-Celtic
NFL-Washington Redskins
NBA-Chicago Bulls
NHL-Chicago Blackhawks
MLB-Chicago White Sox
Rugby Union-Ulster and Ireland
Rugby League-Castleford Tigers
Boxing-Carl Frampton
I think that covers it!
How come you go for the skins not bears

How come you go for the skins not bears
I've been following the Skins since 82.I didn't really take much interest in the other US sports until my brother moved to Chicago in 1990.So between him sending me sports gear home and visiting Chicago myself I started following the Chicago teams.I do have a soft spot for the Bears but the Redskins have always been no.1.I've actually been to Soldier Field twice to see the Redskins v Bears.

I'm from the north of England and as such a lot I grew up watching I became a fan of:

EPL - Liverpool ( I have a season ticket for Anfield which means a four hundred mike round trip from London for a home game!)

Rugby League - Wigan Warriors (but the standard of the game is so bad now I'm losing interest)

Cricket - Lancashire (I played with them for a while a long time ago before a knee injury curtailed that!)

Despite the distance, the Hawks give me the most pleasure and excitement (and losses damage my weekend more than the others!)

Hawks...
South Launceston, but now they've been demoted from the TSL, so I don't know who to barrack for in the league...f###ing hate all of them...
Cronulla...
West Perth...
Woodville...
Latrobe (NTFL)
Box Hill (except when the Devils were there)...
Los Angeles Rams...
Wolverhampton Wanderers...
Chiefs (rugby union)...
And, most important of all, the Tasmanian Tigers and the Tasmanian state footy side...

2013 was a ridiculous year, they nearly all won at the same time. I worked out the odds on this, and basically I had more chance of winning the top prize in the old Tattersall's Super 66...! This year is second best so far...could go pear shaped because none of them are favourites, and they could all end up GF or PF losers or similar...

Melbourne Storm (NRL)
Melbourne Rebels (Super Rugby)
Melbourne Victory (A-league)
Melbourne Renegades (Big Bash League)
West Ham United and Middlesbrough (English soccer)
Juventus (Serie A)
Barcelona (La Liga)
Victorian Bushrangers (Sheffield Shield/Matador Cup)
LA Rams and Green Bay Packers (NFL)

Some I'm more passionate about than others.

Absolutely passionate, long suffering Raiders fan. I have them to thank for supporting the Hawks - we won our first premiership in 1989 and the week after the Hawks won the premiership so I adopted them. Funnily enough - both grand finals are remembered as all time classics and arguably the best grand final of all time.

Support numerous other teams to keep myself interested in sports - they are as follows:

Boston Celtics (NBA)
Seattle Seahawks (NFL)
New York Mets (MLB)
Chelsea (EPL)
Hibernian (SPFL)
Leeds Rhinos (Super League)
Wynnum-Manly Seagulls (Qld Rugby League)
Melbourne Stars (BBL)
Melbourne Vixens (NNL)

Still am yet to adopt an A-League team, but I am leaning towards Melbourne City. Couldn't care less about Rugby Yawnion - but if the Warratahs or Brumbies are doing well I will keep an eye on them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back