Western Region FL - Division One

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
only a few weeks away now, what's everyones top 5 predictions, premiers, leading goalkicker and leauge bnf?
also with a lot of new faces in all clubs does anybody want to post there best 22 before the season & compare on paper ?? I'm happy to do the colts if we get some other blokes from around the clubs

albion play melton at albion on saturday
Hi Danny O3 of your team mates who where busy in the off season signing with an other club are currently under review at AFL victoria level
breach of contract proceeding could follow
dangerous thing they did :eek:

Hi Danny O3 of your team mates who where busy in the off season signing with an other club are currently under review at AFL victoria level
breach of contract proceeding could follow
dangerous thing they did :eek:

I get it juggling, you're from the club that missed out on these players. Time to move on buddy, they will be at Hoppers and no further action will be taken u know that and i know that so lets give this topic the wide berth from now on :thumbsu:.

Player payments

Hi all,

interested to hear thoughts on this:

Are Player payments killing the game?​

PLAYER payments are escalating out of control and ruining community football.​

With leagues gearing up for another season, player salaries escalating due to market pressure are once again set to play havoc with competitions around the state.​

Wealthy teams with superstars on the payroll continue to plague community football and are creating a frustrating gulf between the best and worst teams.​

Evidence of this can be found in – but is not limited to – the Western Regional Football League (WRFL).​

In 2009, 85 games were played in the WRFL Division One competition with almost half of those games (42) decided by a margin of 10 goals or more.​

In round eight, every match was decided by a margin greater than 11 goals, with the average margin more than 100 points highlighting the unevenness of the competition...​

Full article can be found at​

Cheers​

must have been a slow news day.

the ones complaining about the gulf between rich and poor should be doing one of two things.
1. get out there and promote your club, drum up some sponsorship dollars so you can be competitive
2. teach your players the fine game of Badminton.

the Market by its very nature, runs itself. If a bloke who can kick 100+ goals a season, wants $3000 a game to play for West Footscray, then the Market will quickly "tell him hes dreaming".

If a player lives for the colors of Sunny heights, but has one leg and a pacemaker, i dont think he will be starting on the wing at 2 oclock.

the notion that we all have to be equal is misguided and silly.

Imagine the NBA - make it a rule that you have to be between 196 and 197 cms, and left handed to play in their league? or all F1 cars have to be 1996 toyota carolla's (red ones).

Its a joke.

the game , like life isnt always fair, and thats why we love it.

the notion that we all have to be equal is misguided and silly.

Imagine the NBA - make it a rule that you have to be between 196 and 197 cms, and left handed to play in their league? or all F1 cars have to be 1996 toyota carolla's (red ones).

Its a joke.

the game , like life isnt always fair, and thats why we love it.

Give it a spell...the article is not talking about fairness; its talking about one-sided games ruining the league. You've only got to look to the EPL where only 3 teams can ever win the Premiership. Its not good for footy.

you would have to be mad to think that hoppers are just going to slip out of the 5. the only way an altona or sunshine heights is going to get in the 5 is to beat at least 2 of last years top 5 sides twice, and everyone from outside of the 5, both times. And to beat any of port, spotty, hoppers, albion and/or sunshine at home or away will be just as tough as any other year regardless of gains/losses in players

Re: Player payments

Hi all,

With leagues gearing up for another season, player salaries escalating due to market pressure are once again set to play havoc with competitions around the state.​

Wealthy teams with superstars on the payroll continue to plague community football and are creating a frustrating gulf between the best and worst teams.​

Evidence of this can be found in – but is not limited to – the Western Regional Football League (WRFL).​

In 2009, 85 games were played in the WRFL Division One competition with almost half of those games (42) decided by a margin of 10 goals or more.​

In round eight, every match was decided by a margin greater than 11 goals, with the average margin more than 100 points highlighting the unevenness of the competition...​

Cheers​

I can tell you one thing PARKSIDE spent 92k last year to try and win a divvy 2 flag and they are average if they had of won it and went up to divvy 1 they would have to recruit another 12 players and spend double what they spent last time just to be competive.It just goes to show when mugs are in charge sanity goes out the window they wouldnt win a game in divvy 1 if you want to look for over payed players look no further than parkside fc

Hi all,

Cheers

Interesting article, i believe EDFL looked at this due to the Marby Park debarkle, but it didnt get enough votes. Now that even clubs like Keilor cant keep up that may change.

It would be worth a try.

Give it a spell...the article is not talking about fairness; its talking about one-sided games ruining the league. You've only got to look to the EPL where only 3 teams can ever win the Premiership. Its not good for footy.

sorry Bruce, but i dont see any EPL teams crying about it. most are trying to build a franchise to mirror the Big three, and the EPL isnt exactly "un-popular"

Salary caps are too hard for suburban football to police (see the AFL struggling right now with the whole supplementary payments issue), and good luck to any club who put the hard work in to be successful.

Communism is so 1983.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting article, i believe EDFL looked at this due to the Marby Park debarkle, but it didnt get enough votes. Now that even clubs like Keilor cant keep up that may change.

It would be worth a try.

The EDFL clubs have never voted on the points sytem. No metropolitan league will ever bring the points sytem in off their own bat because all that will achieve is players going to play in leagues with out the points sytem, lessening the quality of the league with the points sytem in place.

Unless its adopted by all metro leagues it wont be present in any metro league!

The EDFL clubs have never voted on the points sytem. No metropolitan league will ever bring the points sytem in off their own bat because all that will achieve is players going to play in leagues with out the points sytem, lessening the quality of the league with the points sytem in place.

Unless its adopted by all metro leagues it wont be present in any metro league!

Great call! Would actually have a detrimental effect on our league if we were the only one to adopt it. Needs to be an all or nothing approach across all metro leagues.

First of all, when it comes to the argument about who pays what to which players, unless you are the one signing the cheques, it is all speculation. Considering on top of what might be declared, you have players getting cash from fundraising events, deals from club sponsors or contributors and other incentives to play for a club.
Even in the Ammos deals are done to get players. Div 3 Ammo side 2 seasons ago, picked up 6 players as a package by paying for their end of season flights and accommodation to South America trip. YOu wouldn't get much change out of 5k a pop there.
So to make a system fair for all, it would have to come in state wide, as country clubs are not short of $$ and could entice quite a few guys out of the big smoke. And it would take a fair amount of time to get the finer points sorted.
I say if you can afford to pay, then pay it, it will only make the competitions more enticing for players to play in.

Great call! Would actually have a detrimental effect on our league if we were the only one to adopt it. Needs to be an all or nothing approach across all metro leagues.
Forget the points system!!! I can guarantee that each metropolitan leagues' premiers would come from two possibly three picks, each season. History is showing that the same collective of clubs in the top grades in each league are sharing the spoils. Love it or hate it the simple fact is that yes local footy is driven by the dollar. It would take a few years to fully settle and a heap of depoliticizing but a fully tiered metropolitan league would allow for a pure competition.

The two major advantages would be, it would allow clubs to play in an environment that they could afford, thus alleviating the strain on off field members to continually find money and remove a lot of the enjoyment from local football and it would end situations such as the promotion relegation farces that have plagued this league in recent years.

A Premier "A" Grade competition would make for great footy and I am certain both the local supporter and the purist would travel to see say a Vermont -v a Spottswood on any given Saturday

:thumbsu:
Forget the points system!!! I can guarantee that each metropolitan leagues' premiers would come from two possibly three picks, each season. History is showing that the same collective of clubs in the top grades in each league are sharing the spoils. Love it or hate it the simple fact is that yes local footy is driven by the dollar. It would take a few years to fully settle and a heap of depoliticizing but a fully tiered metropolitan league would allow for a pure competition.

The two major advantages would be, it would allow clubs to play in an environment that they could afford, thus alleviating the strain on off field members to continually find money and remove a lot of the enjoyment from local football and it would end situations such as the promotion relegation farces that have plagued this league in recent years.

A Premier "A" Grade competition would make for great footy and I am certain both the local supporter and the purist would travel to see say a Vermont -v a Spottswood on any given Saturday

Bring back the VFA I reckon or a concept similar to that of the Under 18 set up. :thumbsu:

:thumbsu:

Bring back the VFA I reckon or a concept similar to that of the Under 18 set up. :thumbsu:

i reckon 1 league and all different divisions, with clubs going up a div when winning a flag and bottom clubs going down. could go all the way up to the vfl. that would def even out the divisions...
they do it in the Victorian soccer league and it works

Had a look at the colts game yesterday against epping. The scoreboard indicated we copped a hiding although i thought the young side made a good account of themselves in the second half. New skipper twomey was a standout, along with some good young boys coming through. Old man julier looks fitter than the last few years but was quiet yesterday. The forward line is a little bit of a worry only kicking 1 goal yesterday, we did however have 7 players missing.
The new coach handled himself well and i'm sure will cope better once the full squad comes together.

Anyone else at the game. How was the size of epping's big dark skinned player, he was massive, scary.

ALBION ........how is the great man HARRO going. Still playing i bet (must be in his 40's) and still recruiting hacks from DOUTTAS .When is he going to retire and play the local kids?????:D :D :D

Had a look at the colts game yesterday against epping. The scoreboard indicated we copped a hiding although i thought the young side made a good account of themselves in the second half. New skipper twomey was a standout, along with some good young boys coming through. Old man julier looks fitter than the last few years but was quiet yesterday. The forward line is a little bit of a worry only kicking 1 goal yesterday, we did however have 7 players missing.
The new coach handled himself well and i'm sure will cope better once the full squad comes together.

Anyone else at the game. How was the size of epping's big dark skinned player, he was massive, scary.

He is a big lad Micka. And to think he was playing in the Ammos for $80 a game and epping offered him $150 to travel a bit further but he just loves footy. To top it of he lives near Sunshine. Must be a goog club Epping.

No news from the Cat's for a while??

IMO they'll be the team to beat this year colts/spotty have lost far to much to be considered favorites, the time has come at cat land!!

Get on board....

Danny Ocean are you Luke Phipps? I'm a long time reader and it just adds up

Micka, amazed you could see any of the game, seeing that I was with you all day at the baseball finals in Altona, by the way you spelt your surname wrong, it is Morris not Moriss, hows about you stop hiding behind someone elses name and use your own name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back