Club Focus Western Bulldogs 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

He will always need to improve but he can’t just wait it out in the VFL either. He needs AFL football now. I’d be surprised if his agent isn’t shopping him around atleast
Brother he’s played 3 VFL games.

I guess with every draftee getting a free pass into the Eagles side for years every other team should operate that way too :rolleyes:
Huh? Eagles are literally the opposite. It pisses people off. We are always playing the Sheeds/Gaffs while the younger ones in the WAFL

I think question isnt what anyone thinks outside of Sanders/his agent who as I said would see a need to be impatient, unlike most other youngsters in the competition, because unlike the others, for Sanders its his 2nd contract that matters the most, not his 3rd or 4th

I cant see him waiting 3 months in the VFL for you and being content with it

Yeah, can clearly change between now and end of season. What happens if he has played 13 VFL games and a club like Richmond talk to his agent ?
If you want to live in the hypothetical world of wonder then you go right ahead sport.

He’s working on things in the VFL, he’s not “waiting”.

Will get some LOL reactions but gotta be asked

Is Ryley Sanders up for grabs here?

I cant imagine him being happy at his current predicament. He most likely feels he is walking in to any other team. Unlike a random youngster, his need to hit form quickly before the Tasmanian team comes on is huge so wasting away in the VFL isnt much of a go with him.

I feel like a team like Richmond can make a move here, especially if Rioli goes to Gold Coast

Rioli for pick 8 and pick 8 for Sanders type deal
He's also from Launceston (so playing for the Tasmanian team would mean he's not moving back to his hometown) and also boarded at Melbourne Grammar for high school, playing some games for the Dragons. Of course the Tasmanian team might target him, but there's no particular suggestion that he has any special affinity for Tassie nor should we treat him the same way to another player who is from Hobart and stayed there until after their 18th birthday or whatever.

Huh? Eagles are literally the opposite. It pisses people off. We are always playing the Sheeds/Gaffs while the younger ones in the WAFL

I think question isnt what anyone thinks outside of Sanders/his agent who as I said would see a need to be impatient, unlike most other youngsters in the competition, because unlike the others, for Sanders its his 2nd contract that matters the most, not his 3rd or 4th

I cant see him waiting 3 months in the VFL for you and being content with it

Literally the opposite? Getting drafted to the Eagles since about 2020 has meant guaranteed AFL games, injury permitting. It’s not how clubs that aren’t in the depths of a massive rebuild operate.

The idea that a spell in the VFL for a first year player is some cause for alarm that would have his manager shopping him around is laughable.

If you want to live in the hypothetical world of wonder then you go right ahead sport.

He’s working on things in the VFL, he’s not “waiting”.
Its May. This entire board is a hypothetical world of wonder.

He can work on things in the AFL level also. Being at the VFL level to work on things is a Bulldogs decision, not a Sanders want

Except the VFL is there for players to develop, especially youngsters, so unless you're suggesting every player currently playing VFL should be on the phone to their manager to play somewhere else, then what you're doing is making ridiculous over the top suggestions and those that simply aren't based in reality.

He can work on things in the AFL level also. Being at the VFL level to work on things is a Bulldogs decision, not a Sanders want
Are you suggesting him playing 30/70 midfield/forward flank in the seniors is better for his development as a midfielder than 100% midfield in the VFL? His manager would be fully aware of this, and as such would agree with the most common sense view that this is best for his development.

If your defence of a discussion point is "it's May, it's a hypothetical, anything is possible", in that case, I look forward to a reasonable discussion of Harley Reid being traded to the Dogs for a third-round draft pick at the end of the year. Because the entire board is a hypothetical world of wonder and it's okay to make outlandish statements without trying to base them in any sort of reality.

If your defence of a discussion point is "it's May, it's a hypothetical, anything is possible", in that case, I look forward to a reasonable discussion of Harley Reid being traded to the Dogs for a third-round draft pick at the end of the year. Because the entire board is a hypothetical world of wonder and it's okay to make outlandish statements without trying to base them in any sort of reality.

Those talks are already happening about Reid ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except the VFL is there for players to develop, especially youngsters, so unless you're suggesting every player currently playing VFL should be on the phone to their manager to play somewhere else, then what you're doing is making ridiculous over the top suggestions and those that simply aren't based in reality.

Don’t you remember when Bont had only played 2 full AFL games by Rd 10 of his debut season and was telling his manager to get him out after every VFL game? Wish we’d kept him.

To drum up interest for when Tasmania come on board. It will be a big contract for him.
That doesn't answer why he needs it now.

Sanders is contracted through to the end of 2026. He can drum up interest with performances between now and then, there's absolutely no reason why it has to be this week.

If im his agent I want him at top AFL level by say year 4 so he can get that 10 year deal in his 2nd contract from Tasmania

Year 4 is a long way away. We're currently not even mid way through year 1.

He's in no place to be making demands at this stage of his career and any manager worth their salary would know that and would tell him that.

I think if we discussing most likely player to do a JHF, it’s Sanders first then Reid 2nd in that aspect.
By "do a JHF" do you mean request a trade back home mid-contract after 1 year in the system?

In this strange hypothetical, where exactly do you see Sanders playing footy next year - Tasmanian state league?

The Daicos’s and Sheezel’s of the world dominating from day 1 have clouded a lot of peoples judgement. They are the exception not the rule. It is perfectly normal for a 19yr old to play VFL in their first season - even more so when they were drafted to a team who traded up to get them and have well performing established players in the same position

The Daicos’s and Sheezel’s of the world dominating from day 1 have clouded a lot of peoples judgement. They are the exception not the rule. It is perfectly normal for a 19yr old to play VFL in their first season - even more so when they were drafted to a team who traded up to get them and have well performing established players in the same position

You have to remember Sanders is also a pure inside MID. Daicos and Sheezel had the benefits of starting on the half back line, where they could use their strengths and develop with less pressure, playing from behind. Many rookies start off in positions different to what they played in at the under 18s. There are not many young players who have been thrown directly into the packs and dominated from day one. Inside MID is hard as being a KKP to begin with.

He will be fine. Just working on his defensive positioning etc. Plus the Dogs MID is stacked at the moment. He is likely to take over Libbas role in the future long term as well.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back