Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

if Richmond nail the draft ( they just brought in toce who I rate highly) with 4 top 20 picks they can come good very quickly

If you nail the draft they'll likely start having a significant impact in 2028 (4th season) and be guns by 2030 (6th season).

The problem is by 2030 Taranto will be 32 and Bolton 31. Basically by the time they're coming good your handful of quality mid aged players will be almost at the end if they stay through the whole rebuild.

That's the problem with a rebuild. It takes years after drafting for the benefits to show.

Unless some of the younger players on your list take giant strides after not showing much it's going to be 3-4 years of pain even if you do things well from here.

If you nail the draft they'll likely start having a significant impact in 2028 (4th season) and be guns by 2030 (6th season).

The problem is by 2030 Taranto will be 32 and Bolton 31. Basically by the time they're coming good your handful of quality mid aged players will be almost at the end if they stay through the whole rebuild.

That's the problem with a rebuild. It takes years after drafting for the benefits to show.

Unless some of the younger players on your list take giant strides after not showing much it's going to be 3-4 years of pain even if you do things well from here.
Young players out of the draft seem to be having impacts much earlier then in previous times

How old were Selwood, Danger, Duncan, Hawkins, Guthrie, Blicavs, Smith, Rohan, Tuohy, Stanley etc etc etc in 2022? Without looking it up I'd say all 30+ with quite a few 32+

How old were Selwood, Danger, Duncan, Hawkins, Guthrie, Blicavs, Smith, Rohan, Tuohy, Stanley etc etc etc in 2022? Without looking it up I'd say all 30+ with quite a few 32+

Nothing wrong at all with players being 30+. But it's rare for a chunk of quality older players to stay together for 4-5 years of a rebuild in the hope the club comes good at the end of their career. Some tend to look for better chances at success and there's huge pressure to move on the veterans because they're "not part of the future".

Young players out of the draft seem to be having impacts much earlier then in previous times

Not sure about that.. Guys like Daicos and Reid are rare beasts.

Look at the 2021 draft. It looks like a good s draft but how many of them are really moving the needle this year in their 3rd season? How many are in their team's top 10 players? Daicos and JHF yes. NWM maybe but that's in a poor team. Not many others are consistently contributing yet. They will in time but it's really rare for draftees to dominate in their first 2-3 years.

Nothing wrong at all with players being 30+. But it's rare for a chunk of quality older players to stay together for 4-5 years of a rebuild in the hope the club comes good at the end of their career. Some tend to look for better chances at success and there's huge pressure to move on the veterans because they're "not part of the future".
Use to be that way but not so much these days IMO.

Not sure about that.. Guys like Daicos and Reid are rare beasts.

Look at the 2021 draft. It looks like a good s draft but how many of them are really moving the needle this year in their 3rd season? How many are in their team's top 10 players? Daicos and JHF yes. NWM maybe but that's in a poor team. Not many others are consistently contributing yet. They will in time but it's really rare for draftees to dominate in their first 2-3 years.
Even if they are very good early (Serong, Amiss), it's the level of consistency and smaller intangibles that take years to iron out. They can make a difference and increase performance but you cant contend until your elite core players are 25+.

Your club is the only exception to the rule and should not be relied on as you seem to have legitimately the best drafting /developing in the league combined with a ridiculous history of borderline stealing elite talent from other clubs (I use stealing jokingly but the prices paid for players continues to baffle me).

Really, full rebuilds take 10 years to move to legit contender from drafting your first elite core player. You can make finals, maybe make a prelim even before then but if we take a quick look it's crazy how consistently it plays out that way. Oldest what I would call core players of recent premiers
Demons: Gawn (2009)
West Coast: Kennedy (2005), NicNat (2008)
Richmond: Riewoldtv (2006)
Collingwood: DeGoey / Moore (2014) (Pendles and Sidebum not core players by this time, but nice pieces)
If we want to look into the future - Freo drafted Darcy and Ryan in 2016...

You need a core group (like 8ish players) that are genuinely good to elite players and are at least 26 AND we've been moving older and older of late though maybe those are outliers with yourself and Pies. Full rebuilds take a decade from drafting your first gun AND you need to have the talent in behind them to help

I initially agreed with the general sentiment that they shouldn't let Bolton go, but if they can get serious overs they should. Didn't realise he is 26 this year.

I know Tigers fans will be optimistic he can hang around for the next tilt, but the reality is there is a good chance he might never win another final with the Tigers.

I initially agreed with the general sentiment that they shouldn't let Bolton go, but if they can get serious overs they should. Didn't realise he is 26 this year.

I know Tigers fans will be optimistic he can hang around for the next tilt, but the reality is there is a good chance he might never win another final with the Tigers.
Yeah, we should trade Balta, Rioli and Short too. Then might as well offload Vlastuin, Nankervis, Broad, Taranto and Hopper while we're at it.

There's a difference between the team likely not playing finals again until he's 30+ and choosing to become even more s**t in the next few years by trading your best player. Repeated beltings don't help develop young players.

Realistically if they finish bottom 4 this year and lose Baker, Graham and a handful of veterans they'll struggle next year too. It'll be hard enough remaining competitive and keeping their good players around without shipping off Bolton.

I dont think it can be overstated how important the next two drafts are. They can not afford to miss and need as much talent as humanly possible before Tassie. They have the benefit of having a bunch of nice young role players who have a few years into them as well as good players in Taranto, Hopper, Balta and Bolton to look after the kids so they dont fall out like North but they need to somehow find 4+ elite core players in the next two years, minimum.

Thoughts of trading anyone in at all should be shot. Mature RFAs and/or keep what they have. All capital into the draft which is the cheapest way to get talent if you are good at your job
Vlastuin , Rioli , Ross , Short will also fall into the mid age to help guide also

Supporters would know the names of the kids that are currently on the list that have been there 2-3 years and would just be seeing them come through now that were inside 30 selection and some later that have looked good so far and need development along with another 5 this years draft and another 3-4 next year

Think Richmond just gets in before the Tassie team and just needs the development to be fast tracked

There's a difference between the team likely not playing finals again until he's 30+ and choosing to become even more s**t in the next few years by trading your best player. Repeated beltings don't help develop young players.

Realistically if they finish bottom 4 this year and lose Baker, Graham and a handful of veterans they'll struggle next year too. It'll be hard enough remaining competitive and keeping their good players around without shipping off Bolton.
I would agree if Bolton was the sort of player to carry a team, but he's not. He's like the ultimate cream player (even though he is capable of being cake) which is completely wasted in a bottom 4 team. First piece of evidence is I forgot he was playing in the first half on Sunday.

They should absolutely try and keep as many of the AFL standard senior players they have left (especially the ones not worth much) but Bolton has massive currency and they need to strike before Tassie.

I'm quite sure they won't trade him, I just think they should (as long as they get overs).

Yeah but that money at the time was unheard of. DRioli aint getting anything like that.

It just feels like things are happening in the background. Ample picks available and players retiring at the right time to free up cash. Definite smoke around and it’s not getting shut down yet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It just feels like things are happening in the background. Ample picks available and players retiring at the right time to free up cash. Definite smoke around and it’s not getting shut down yet?
IT was shut down immediately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back