Club Focus Western Bulldogs 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Dogs were thinking Darcy would need longer and that Lobb would be better. But not sure I would jump the gun on Darcy just yet despite what he shows as he needs a bit of size.

Two Dogs mids out, salary cap space and a future 1st in.
JUH and English re-signed.

Sound like a plan?
Daniel out for a 2nd rounder. Smith is gone and will nab a 1st. We will need those picks to bring in young mids to replace Libba and Treloar

Spine of Jones, O'Donnell, English, Naughton and JUH. Darcy and Lobb fighting it out for the 2nd ruck/KPF role.

Bont, Libba, Treloar, Sanders, and Macrae as mids with Weightman and Richards rolling through too.

For that kind of deal happy to retain for the next couple of years. If clubs think Lobb is the missing piece they need might stump up a 2nd to get him.
The 'English out for cap & picks' camp, with Lobb & Darcy as the ruck/forward duo, has a few fans too.
I suspect we try and save a few dollar on English knowing our plan B is pretty decent.

B Smith sounds like he's out the door though. I'd love to have a crack at Isaac Cumming as a FA, convince Busslinger to stay and then hit the draft.

What would Bulldogs want for Macrae and his salary? I wouldn’t mind Geelong swapping our 1st for Macrae and Bulldogs 2nd. He’s still pretty good but at 30 and on a big salary I don’t think he’s super valuable.

What would Bulldogs want for Macrae and his salary? I wouldn’t mind Geelong swapping our 1st for Macrae and Bulldogs 2nd. He’s still pretty good but at 30 and on a big salary I don’t think he’s super valuable.
I think it all depends where cards fall. If we finish 10th, and a Geelong continue on their winning ways, swapping Macrae and pick 28 for pick 16-18 probably doesn’t sit well with me. It’s clear though we are moving past him and if that’s all we can get then perhaps you do what’s right by the player.

I think it all depends where cards fall. If we finish 10th, and a Geelong continue on their winning ways, swapping Macrae and pick 28 for pick 16-18 probably doesn’t sit well with me. It’s clear though we are moving past him and if that’s all we can get then perhaps you do what’s right by the player.

Just looking at the points that’s equivalent to a mid 3rd round pick which does feel unders. I was envisaging about 700 points or equivalent value to pick 28 on its own.

To be perfectly honest, I’d take it, but only if we’d already convinced someone like Florent or Cumming to join as a free agent. They’re more likely to fit into the next generation of this side given the need for pace and foot skills on the outside, essentially improving the overall 22 and our draft hand even if Macrae is clearly “better”.

The Dogs don’t need more stars, they need more quality in contributors across the park, especially players who can move the ball at speed. Macrae’s salary is better spent elsewhere, and bonus if it means the Dogs can get back into the first round.

To be perfectly honest, I’d take it, but only if we’d already convinced someone like Florent or Cumming to join as a free agent. They’re more likely to fit into the next generation of this side given the need for pace and foot skills on the outside, essentially improving the overall 22 and our draft hand even if Macrae is clearly “better”.

The Dogs don’t need more stars, they need more quality in contributors across the park, especially players who can move the ball at speed. Macrae’s salary is better spent elsewhere, and bonus if it means the Dogs can get back into the first round.
Need 2 way runners and defensive minded players. Too many players just play passenger and that includes some of the more pacier guys. I think Draper is right about players wanting out but rumor and body language sounds like an older group that don't want to put in the effort than the dogs younger players. Bont, Libba, Jones, Treloar & Duyrea are the only players that still put in that effort. The ones seeming not to are like JJ, Williams, Daniel, & Macrae.

Just to add a hypothetical situation to the mix. Let's say we move on all of Smith, Macrae & Lobb at the end of the year. None of those guys are contributing to our current match day best 22. That likely moves on $2 million with us possibly gaining a mid first rounder and a couple of second rounders between them. It frees up some cash and gives the club some picks to 'refresh' the list rather than rebuild.

Similar to what the Pies did a few years back, I think we can bounce back quickly given we a core group of potentially elite players in the 20-24 age bracket.

There is not a chance in hell you get a 1st rounder and 2 2nd rounders for three older players who are not getting a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is not a chance in hell you get a 1st rounder and 2 2nd rounders for three older players who are not getting a game.
Smith is 23 years old. Anyone who has a semblance of a brain realises that he will be demanding a first rounder. The conjecture is whether it will be a top 10 pick or a pick around 15.

Macrae is getting a game. He's still a good footballer and has been a victim of a change in game plan requiring speed through the midfield. He's 29 and would still be very valuable for several teams and is a 3x AA in recent years.

Lobb is a mystery. If several contenders (Melbourne & Collingwood) believe he'll be a valuable contributor to a premiership run, then a second rounder (pick 35-40) is well on the cards for a contracted player. The only reason he isn't getting a game is because we have a guy called Darcy on the list playing superb footy. Lobb is dominating the VFL and clubs know who he is.

Smith is 23 years old. Anyone who has a semblance of a brain realises that he will be demanding a first rounder. The conjecture is whether it will be a top 10 pick or a pick around 15.

Macrae is getting a game. He's still a good footballer and has been a victim of a change in game plan requiring speed through the midfield. He's 29 and would still be very valuable for several teams and is a 3x AA in recent years.

Lobb is a mystery. If several contenders (Melbourne & Collingwood) believe he'll be a valuable contributor to a premiership run, then a second rounder (pick 35-40) is well on the cards for a contracted player. The only reason he isn't getting a game is because we have a guy called Darcy on the list playing superb footy. Lobb is dominating the VFL and clubs know who he is.

Sorry, my bad. I misread. I thought you were saying Macrae, Daniel and Lobb would net you those picks.

Daniel will be a 3rd rounder at least.

Lobb is weird. Dogs paid 2 picks in the early 30 range for him while Grundy who was traded the same year was pick 27. Lobb still has about 4 years based on his fitness and being a tall. His output is still better than similar players put out and produce some weeks and his rucking is competent. I'd say 35-45 will be roughly right for him.

Rumors are Macrae wants to stay.

Lobb is weird. Dogs paid 2 picks in the early 30 range for him while Grundy who was traded the same year was pick 27. Lobb still has about 4 years based on his fitness and being a tall. His output is still better than similar players put out and produce some weeks and his rucking is competent. I'd say 35-45 will be roughly right for him.

I'm guessing Libba's likely retirement means Macrae gets more CBA time too. That changes the equation

Lobb is way too old to have 4 years left and no club will give him that sort of deal plus he will have to take a cash haircut if he moves.

Lobb is way too old to have 4 years left and no club will give him that sort of deal plus he will have to take a cash haircut if he moves.
He'll get 2 years for sure on just above what he has left on his deal at the dogs. He doesn't look to have slowed down since joining and he's more mobile than a few tall players that are younger than him.

He'll get 2 years for sure on just above what he has left on his deal at the dogs. He doesn't look to have slowed down since joining and he's more mobile than a few tall players that are younger than him.

2 years maybe (he doesnt deserve that but i can see it).
But you said 4.no one is giving him a 4 year ddal anywhere.

Will get some LOL reactions but gotta be asked

Is Ryley Sanders up for grabs here?

I cant imagine him being happy at his current predicament. He most likely feels he is walking in to any other team. Unlike a random youngster, his need to hit form quickly before the Tasmanian team comes on is huge so wasting away in the VFL isnt much of a go with him.

I feel like a team like Richmond can make a move here, especially if Rioli goes to Gold Coast

Rioli for pick 8 and pick 8 for Sanders type deal

Will get some LOL reactions but gotta be asked

Is Ryley Sanders up for grabs here?

I cant imagine him being happy at his current predicament. He most likely feels he is walking in to any other team. Unlike a random youngster, his need to hit form quickly before the Tasmanian team comes on is huge so wasting away in the VFL isnt much of a go with him.

I feel like a team like Richmond can make a move here, especially if Rioli goes to Gold Coast

Rioli for pick 8 and pick 8 for Sanders type deal

Just because hes a high pick doesn’t mean he gets a free pass. He has acknowledged the work needed on his defensive side.

Just because hes a high pick doesn’t mean he gets a free pass. He has acknowledged the work needed on his defensive side.

He will always need to improve but he can’t just wait it out in the VFL either. He needs AFL football now. I’d be surprised if his agent isn’t shopping him around atleast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back