Welcome to the Bulldogs James Harmes

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a notification come on my phone, "James Harmes" joins the Bulldogs.

At first I read that as James Hird.

James Harmes (Rove McManus circa 2003 voice) he certainly does

Finally someone in the team with a proper sleeve.

I hope he doesn’t expect jersey number 4 on his back.

Decent pick up for not much, improves our cover in midfield and on the wings. Doesn’t shirk the contest, we need more hardness. Works for me.

I don’t mind this at all nice little bit of business from Sam Power

• Might relieve Bont & Libba of some of the defensive weight they carried in the midfield this year after Dunkley’s exit. Wouldn’t mind him paired with any two of Bont/Libba/Treloar/Macrae/Smith at times and doing a job on an opponent;
  • Insurance for Libba and Treloar;
  • Is an immediate upgrade on the 22 games we gave to McNeil, Hannan and McComb this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunkley won the best and fairest spending a lot of time at half forward and played a very different role with Brisbane so I can’t see Harmes replacing him. Macrae moved out of the midfield finishes 14th in the b and f, when the team made the grand final he finished second and was the best player in the finals. I just don’t see how Harmes adds anything to the midfield mix that doesn’t create problems elsewhere.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does feel like we chose to pick him up because he was available rather than filling a big need. Don’t think it moves the needle much for him.

Was very solid between 2018-21 (slight down year in 2020) when he played as a third or fourth choice inside midfielder. Obviously well noted at playing negating roles at times. Before and after those years I don’t think he has been fantastic, think he is an inside mid or nothing personally. Think he can still play that role but others had gone past him at Melbourne.

Is that role open here? I’m not convinced. Struggled to give Smith and Macrae the time they deserved in there this season, especially Smith who only really played two good games both as an inside mid against Carlton and Adelaide while Treloar was out and then never seeing similar minutes again. Don’t have any depth in the position other than Bont, Libba, Treloar, Smith and Macrae, depending on what Bevo thinks Daniel is next season, so in a sense of depth Harmes makes a lot of sense. More likely he spends big time at half forward which I don’t think suits him.

Seems like a very likeable teammate and a very hard trainer. Think Bevo and the boys will like him. I think he is a fine player but not sure the role is there for him to prosper.

As a Melbourne supporter I can confirm you have yourselves a ripper of a player.
Well done, and he only cost a ham sandwich.
marge simpson GIF

lol, Lachie is presumably referring to the fact that we showed a highlight of Harmes using Hunter as a stepladder to take a mark. With multiple angles + slow mo. Actually kind of funny.
Did you watch the clip? One of the highlights is Harmes taking a hanger on Hunter, it’s not to do with list calls

My bad, I’m getting old these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back