Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson!

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Watson is going to be a star forward of the highest calibre.

I remember watching him play in 2022 for the Eastern Ranges. You could see it then that he had all the qualities to be a star small forward.
But it was for the AFL Academy vs. Port's VFL side during the Gather Round last year where I just said to myself, "He is the one.". A lot of people said it wasn't even one of his best games. He played largely off halfback. His kicking wasn't great (it was very wet). But his pace and power off halfback, the way he looked when he received the ball, his defensive efforts, etc. All of it really did remind me of some of the greatest and most talented players to ever play the game of Australian Rules Football.

Nick Watson can be a top-15 player in the AFL as a small forward. He's that good.

The fact he can compete aerially 1v1 with far taller opponents and then instantly recover upon landing to annihilate them at ground level with his speed and agility is why he was worth a top 5 pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pickering on SEN was questioning pre game if Hawks should have taken him with a top 5 pick, but then after a goal assist and goal was put back in his place. Isn’t he a player manager and should he know the order of each draft year

I heard Hodge question it also on the radio during the week.

The fact he can compete aerially 1v1 with far taller opponents and then instantly recover upon landing to annihilate them at ground level with his speed and agility is why he was worth a top 5 pick.

100% this.

We’ve been crying out for this since Cyril and this kid is going to make going to the footy over the next decade must see.

I heard Hodge question it also on the radio during the week.
Which is weird coming from Hodge, surely he should remember the flack Hawks got for drafting him over Chris Judd.

It's very early days yet, we'll see in time if he was worth taking at Pick 5. I see the talent there, let's just hope it can all fall into place for Watson

Which is weird coming from Hodge, surely he should remember the flack Hawks got for drafting him over Chris Judd.

It's very early days yet, we'll see in time if he was worth taking at Pick 5. I see the talent there, let's just hope it can all fall into place for Watson
He's a Brisbane man now.

It wasn’t so much the talent he was questioning, it was more that we drafted someone of his height at such a high pick, when players of that height normally drop down the draft board e.g Caleb Daniel.

Last edited:
It wasn’t so much the talent he was questioning, it was more that we drafted someone of his height at such a high pick, when players of that height normally drop down the draft board e.g Caleb Daniel.

When we have more pressing needs like a tall key defender like Curtin.
There’s no way Watson would have got past the dogs, North would have also had to be considering him.

Curtin will request a trade to WA in 2 years if he’s not playing midfield.

Hodgey should know that.

There’s no way Watson would have got past the dogs, North would have also had to be considering him.

Curtin will request a trade to WA in 2 years if he’s not playing midfield.

Hodgey should know that.

I agree he probably wouldn’t have.

Love everything bar the showboating. As a rule I don't like our players goading the opposition after turnovers, free kicks etc. Let the scoreboard do the talking.
Anyways, he's had a very solid start to his career. Playing the toughest position on the ground and having 3+ shots on goal most weeks is quite amazing tbh

Love everything bar the showboating. As a rule I don't like our players goading the opposition after turnovers, free kicks etc. Let the scoreboard do the talking.
Anyways, he's had a very solid start to his career. Playing the toughest position on the ground and having 3+ shots on goal most weeks is quite amazing tbh
Disagree tbh. The showboating/s**t talking is what gives him and the players energy. Remove that and you remove a lot of what makes these kids tick

He's a Brisbane man now.
Ah come on now. It's a perfectly reasonable perspective for someone not involved in the decision to have. A skinny player can get bigger, a player with scrappy skills can improve, but a short player can't get taller. If Watson doesn't kick on as an elite small forward we will be seen to have taken a kid with an obvious, unchangeable trait which we completely disregarded.

Is the commentary too early? Sure, but it's certainly not the most unfair thing we'll hear.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back