Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Lloyd Meek

Remove this Banner Ad

Follow up work post ruck contest is an underrated skill. His ability to crash bodies really helps our mids gain a yard of space. He seems to really enjoy the grunt work which is exactly what we need. Hoping it can continue!

Almost seemed like he watched the entire career of Mumford on loop in between stints in the ones.

Was bloody unreal to see him perform at the level he did. Really stoked he's lifting with the team.

JOM plus F4 for Meek plus F2. I loved JOM but I think we can mark that trade down as a win.
Freo will be lucky to get maybe 10 to 15 decent games out of JOM before he is completely cooked. Plus they have to carry his not inconsequential salary on their books for the next three years.

We got a pick upgrade plus a player who looks like he could be our number 1 ruck for the next five years (if he can maintain this form).

We made out like bandits in that trade, absolute bandits.

Freo will be lucky to get maybe 10 to 15 decent games out of JOM before he is completely cooked. Plus they have to carry his not inconsequential salary on their books for the next three years.

We got a pick upgrade plus a player who looks like he could be our number 1 ruck for the next five years (if he can maintain this form).

Before he is cooked?

Cooked now

I say give it another 6 - 8 weeks.

By that stage we will know if Lloyd's 2 improved AFL outings are part of a genuine uptick in his ability at AFL level, and sadly we will probably know if JOM is approaching a premature end to his career.

Danger Dancing GIF by Bens Watch Club

By that stage we will know if Lloyd's 2 improved AFL outings are part of a genuine uptick in his ability at AFL level, and sadly we will probably know if JOM is approaching a premature end to his career.

It’s about to we had a square up for hill

Fair call.

But Meek is 25, in his absolute prime and on an upward trajectory.

JOM is 30, his knee is buggered and he forced to play as a substitute just to get a game for Freo.

I know which stock I am buying.

Fair call.

But Meek is 25, in his absolute prime and on an upward trajectory.

JOM is 30, his knee is buggered and he forced to play as a substitute just to get a game for Freo.

I know which stock I am buying.
Yes, and Mason Cox kicked 3 goals in the 2018 PF at 26 years of age.

One or two pretty handy games doesn’t guarantee an upward trajectory.

JOM is an awesome guy - but I do wonder what Freo were thinking?

Meek was very good last week and appears to be way more competitive than Reeves.
What are peoples thoughts on our preferred ruck going forward?

Meek was very good last week and appears to be way more competitive than Reeves.
I was all in on Reeves at the start of the year, but I don't see how Meek loses his spot now. I think the hitouts the advantage stat is one of the most overrated in the AFL, given the way the game seems to be heading.

Unlikely to be played together with the emergence of Ramsden, but I’m pretty happy both are developing and happy to stay and compete for the one spot.

When one reaches 28yo in 2 yrs time maybe declare it one way or the other

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to see Meek and Reeves working in tandem. Reeves needs more gametime, I'm still confident he's going to be a monster one day. Big blokes take longer, enormous blokes take even longer than that. So far (last year) that just didn't seem to work, unfortunately.

Failing that, I'd love to see one of them truly step up and be a top line ruckman, and then have Rammer step up and be the 'new Hale', ie. mainly a (very) tall forward who can give an excellent account of himself when giving a chopout in the ruck.

Interesting to see how Meek goes against Wicks this week. With a young midfield, Meek provides a bigger body at clearances and his willingness to tackle, unlike Reeves.

Just watched the second half replay, and Meek was genuinely insane.

Best round the ground performance from a Hawthorn ruck since McEvoy was doing his thing.

When we brought Meek in, I think we all dreamt of an aggressive ruckman ala Mumford that could act as an additional midfielder in stoppage and take strong marks.

Would be a huge piece of the puzzle if he can kick on from here.

By most accounts, even from the club, the new ruck rules have nullified Reeves' main advantage in the middle, his height.

Meek has been great using his strength the last couple of weeks; a real bullock.

I don't think 'Preferred Ruck' exists except in the minds of BigFooty posters though...it is whoever is doing the job best. That's Meek, at the moment.

Yes, and Mason Cox kicked 3 goals in the 2018 PF at 26 years of age.

One or two pretty handy games doesn’t guarantee an upward trajectory.
I honestly don't think Cox was that bad. He's mostly a liability now but before he cooked his eyes he had a pretty solid few years of 1 goal a game, 4-5 marks, 10 touches and 15-20 hitouts. Nothing incredible but certainly not the complete failure that many believe he is/was.

Just watched the second half replay, and Meek was genuinely insane.

Best round the ground performance from a Hawthorn ruck since McEvoy was doing his thing.

When we brought Meek in, I think we all dreamt of an aggressive ruckman ala Mumford that could act as an additional midfielder in stoppage and take strong marks.

Would be a huge piece of the puzzle if he can kick on from here.

I was sitting near the interchange bench. He looked absolutely belted when he came off half way through the third quarter.
He then turned and screamed out to Ramma to push from centre half forward to Collingwoods forward pocket to contest a boundary throw in.

Ramma made it and competed strongly. From memory we may have even won the clearance and eventually scored down the other end.

That moment made me realise that the Meek/Ramsden combo could be a fantastic one.

What we have always wanted in a ruckman is someone who can win their fair share of hitouts (not dominate hitouts but not be embarrassed) but more importantly contribute around the ground and be a physical presence in the contest.

Meek has shown he can do that role (small sample size but still). I have never seen any evidence that Reeves could be this type of player.

If Reeves had another string to his bow (say overhead marking and kicking the odd goal like Mason Cox) he might have a shot but at the moment he really has just has one club in his bag (tapouts) and the new ruck rules have even nullified that to an extent.

Watched 4 games in Adelaide over the weekend on top of each Hawks game this season. The game is just SO quick it’s hard to see how a dinosaur like Reeves who has real mobility issues can fit in. Meek starting to look like the player we hoped we were getting.

If we have meek/Rama/Chol in the team we really could outwork the opposing ruck team and be a point of difference to every other side. It really could be the best secondary ruck combo in the comp. If meek can halve his contests with the oppositions main ruck and we learn how to take advantage with the second ruck combo and cash in that would be awesome.

Watched 4 games in Adelaide over the weekend on top of each Hawks game this season. The game is just SO quick it’s hard to see how a dinosaur like Reeves who has real mobility issues can fit in. Meek starting to look like the player we hoped we were getting.
The speed from contest to contest has completely changed, love watching it tbh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back