Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely rapt for him, Cherie, Nate, Maya and Harry. Didn't think he'd be ready for AFL footy just yet, but looks like he has all the tools to forge a successful career – in a couple of years with some extra size, he'll be a real threat.

The Dears are a ripping family, and Paul was an absolute top bloke – I'm sure Calsher did him proud today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kozi also kicked 5 on debut just saying… No he didn't, he kicked zero goals on debut, and 1 in his second game and 1 in his third and 0 in his 4th.

I've always said that off all the footy skills, marking (especially contested marking) is the one that you either have or you do not.

Other skills like kicking and handballing can be learned but the ability to read the ball in air, fly for it and catch it is an innate ability to a large degree.

And just from this one game you can tell that Clasher has it whereas I watched Kossy play for us for three years and despite having all the athletic tools he never really looked like he had it.

Great debut, very promising 👍

With Lewis and Chol back and fit, calsher should be third tall next year onwards as a full time senior player. Hawthorn have great history of having three talls in our most successful years. Now, let's hope we see both McCabe and Denver in the side before the years out .

I'm just wrapt for the kid and his family .
And well done for the coaches for selecting him too .

It's hard too keep a lid on it because he really is an exciting talent .
He just seems to have that great combo of natural ability with smarts .

Spoke fantastically well for someone so young after the game .

Can't wait to see McCabe now 🙂

Could Dear get the rising star ⭐️ this week?
He should given the context of his debut and the result. 2 goals in a major upset with a 7 point margin.

Unfortunately, Colby McKercher got 30 touches in a 38 point loss and he has "body of work" factor.

He should given the context of his debut and the result. 2 goals in a major upset with a 7 point margin.

Unfortunately, Colby McKercher got 30 touches in a 38 point loss and he has "body of work" factor.

And in the same game Wilson had 21 touches, 8 marks and kicked 3.2.

Windsor had 18 touches, 6 marks, 6 tackles and kicked 1.2.

If any of those three haven't been nominated yet then they will this week.

Every single step up that he has taken, people have questioned whether he is ready.

"yeah he's doing well in 19s but he's not ready or TAC cup"
"He's doing well in the TAC cup, but he's not ready to be drafted"
"he's done well in a VFL praccy match but he's not ready for VFL"
"he's done well in the VFL but he's not ready for AFL"

Every time so far he has proven people wrong.

Good on him. I remember going down to a training during pre season, first session post Xmas and if you told me he’d be playing before round 10 and actually had an impact I wouldn’t have believed it.

What a physical skillset he’s got.. hard to be a bad player when you’ve got weapons like that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back