Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Brandon Walker (Pick 50)

Remove this Banner Ad

His floor? Greg Broughton got a top three in a Doig and Lee Spurr would have played 200 games if he was drafted earlier. they were both pretty decent little footballers.

Walker runs around like a headless chook and has no clear position.
Walker, the guy that plays exclusively on the other teams best small forward, doesn’t have a clear position?

His floor? Greg Broughton got a top three in a Doig and Lee Spurr would have played 200 games if he was drafted earlier. they were both pretty decent little footballers.

Walker runs around like a headless chook and has no clear position.
No clear position?

Are you high?

We have been screaming out for a blanketing small defender for years.

Walker is as solid as a rock from a defensive perspective and has huge upside from an attacking perspective.

Plus, he's only just got to 50 games.

What's not to like?

He is Roger Hayden without the sidestep.

Granted, decision making is a little suspect and his brain doesn't move at the same speed as others but his shut down skills are really high level, he's a decent enough kick and he's pretty tough and hard.

I like him.

He is Roger Hayden without the sidestep.

Granted, decision making is a little suspect and his brain doesn't move at the same speed as others but his shut down skills are really high level, he's a decent enough kick and he's pretty tough and hard.

I like him.
I don't really see Roger Hayden here at all. Apart from being more a half back than lock down defender, Roger had sublime agility and handling under pressure and handling under pressure is pretty much the one thing you can say Walker is clearly deficient in. I.e he has good athleticism, speed, positioning and defensive commitment, but under heat he makes errors. The Dodger would simply slow down time and engage bullet time when confronted by multiple opponents, whereas Walker, if he doesn't have space to get moving, will just panic.

He'll be a very good player after 120 games+ (the usual injury caveats notwithstanding of course): Experience is the best cure for dealing with pressure if you're not a natural.

I don't really see Roger Hayden here at all. Apart from being more a half back than lock down defender, Roger had sublime agility and handling under pressure and handling under pressure is pretty much the one thing you can say Walker is clearly deficient in. I.e he has good athleticism, speed, positioning and defensive commitment, but under heat he makes errors. The Dodger would simply slow down time and engage bullet time when confronted by multiple opponents, whereas Walker, if he doesn't have space to get moving, will just panic.

He'll be a very good player after 120 games+ (the usual injury caveats notwithstanding of course): Experience is the best cure for dealing with pressure if you're not a natural.

Well said. You youngsters that rate Walker would have loved Hayden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said. You youngsters that rate Walker would have loved Hayden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seen Roger, he was amazing. How is his son progressing? Any watchers got reports on him?

Roger / Walker comp is probably overselling him but I think he can get to 80% of Roger and I think that would be a sensational outcome.

Given the lack of small forward options we have, I reckon they should chuck him up forward and see how he goes.

Just about shown more in those clips than Switta, Emmet or Walters have this year, and with his speed his pressure would be elite. Might have some idea about small forward craft given he has followed the best of them around his whole career and his brainfarts should be less damaging up forward.

Don't think we lose much by putting Wagner or Worner in his place down back either.

Given the lack of small forward options we have, I reckon they should chuck him up forward and see how he goes.

Just about shown more in those clips than Switta, Emmet or Walters have this year, and with his speed his pressure would be elite. Might have some idea about small forward craft given he has followed the best of them around his whole career and his brainfarts should be less damaging up forward.

Don't think we lose much by putting Wagner or Worner in his place down back either.

Holy s**t.
You just blew my mind 💜

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would've argued and said we don't have anyone to guard the smalls but we did alright end of last year/start of this year without him there. Think Wagner also uses his run a bit more than Walker does too.

Wouldn't mind it at all, as long as we get him back for the really quick guys.

That’s actually a great idea tbh.
Wagner or Worner could come in and be solid at half back and seamlessly take that spot.
Walker loves to attack and try to keep the ball moving, just there’s consequences in defence then up forward.
He’s pretty clean/fast inside 20-30m, which is important for a small forward

That’s actually a great idea tbh.
Wagner or Worner could come in and be solid at half back and seamlessly take that spot.
Walker loves to attack and try to keep the ball moving, just there’s consequences in defence then up forward.
He’s pretty clean/fast inside 20-30m, which is important for a small forward
Haha, I came to this thread to post something similar, then I found this post. Will be a good idea...he is not going to be worse than our current forward line if not better.. And Wagner will have that run and carry out of defense and plan B when Clark is tagged?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haha, I came to this thread to post something similar, then I found this post. Will be a good idea...he is not going to be worse than our current forward line if not better.. And Wagner will have that run and carry out of defense and plan B when Clark is tagged?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Walker is offensively minded. He likes to run and carry but he’s punished as soon as he takes someone on. Feel like he’s more of a goal sneak than Emmett.
Saying that, Worner could replace Chapman as well and push him on the wing. Walker and Chapman IMO are too offensive/good to be left down back.

Walker makes some silly mistakes but you can see the makings of a very good player with him, he has the pace, he has a solid kick on him and he seems to have some defensive prowess that you can see slowly building.

Just have to stick fat with him, he'll be a player for us for the next 10 years.

Walker is offensively minded. He likes to run and carry but he’s punished as soon as he takes someone on. Feel like he’s more of a goal sneak than Emmett.
Saying that, Worner could replace Chapman as well and push him on the wing. Walker and Chapman IMO are too offensive/good to be left down back.
Whos got the coaches ear 👂?? 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back