Analysis We Were Port Adelaide - Facts, Statistics, and Quotes

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is one for your twitter account Alyx. From Rucci's game day preview on Saturday.

"I said 10 or 12 weeks ago," recalls Hinkley, "wait until the end of the year; wait and judge us (at the end of the home-and-away series). Wait and judge us when we can get all our people who we need in the team playing well together.

Just going to ask this again here, in case it was lost in the assistant coaches thread:
Does anyone have a complete list of assistant coaches who have left during the Hinkley era?

If anyone knows the years each assistant coach left as well, that would be great. I would love to create a graphic which shows all of the coaches and players we have cycled through in the Hinkley era.

From the annual AFL Record Season Guide books.

2013 Josh Carr, Garry Hocking, Matthew Nicks, Shaun Rehn, Alan Richardson
2014 Josh Carr, Tyson Edwards, Shaun Hart, Matthew Nicks, Phil Walsh - Hocking coaches Magpies
2015 Josh Carr, Tyson Edwards, Shaun hart, Matthew Nicks, Michael Voss - Hocking coaches Magpies
2016 Nathan Bassett, Shaun Hart, Garry Hocking, Matthew Nicks, Michael Voss - Chad coaches Magpies
2017 Matthew Nicks, Nathan Bassett, Brendon Lade, Michael Voss - Chad coaches Magpies
2018 Nathan Bassett, Brendon Lade, Matthew Nicks, Michael Voss - Lokan coaches Magpies
2019 Nathan Bassett, Brett Montgomery, Jarrad Schofield, Michael Voss - Lokan coaches Magpies
2020 Nathan Bassett, Brett Montgomery, Jarrad Schofield, Michael Voss - Lokan coaches Magpies
2021 Nathan Bassett, Brett Montgomery, Jarrad Schofield, Michael Voss - Lokan coaches Magpies

Don't know exactly who left and who was not re-signed.

Last edited:
RussellEbertHandball, highlighting the changes:

2013 Josh Carr, Garry Hocking, Matthew Nicks, Shaun Rehn, Alan Richardson
2014 Josh Carr, Tyson Edwards, Shaun Hart, Matthew Nicks, Phil Walsh - Hocking coaches Magpies
2015 Josh Carr, Tyson Edwards, Shaun hart, Matthew Nicks, Michael Voss - Hocking coaches Magpies
2016 Nathan Bassett, Shaun Hart, Garry Hocking, Matthew Nicks, Michael Voss - Chad coaches Magpies
2017 Matthew Nicks, Nathan Bassett, Brendon Lade, Michael Voss - Chad coaches Magpies
2018 Nathan Bassett, Brendon Lade, Matthew Nicks, Michael Voss - Lokan coaches Magpies
2019 Nathan Bassett, Brett Montgomery, Jarrad Schofield, Michael Voss - Lokan coaches Magpies
2020 Nathan Bassett, Brett Montgomery, Jarrad Schofield, Michael Voss - Lokan coaches Magpies
2021 Nathan Bassett, Brett Montgomery, Jarrad Schofield, Michael Voss - Lokan coaches Magpies

Updated

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to know the record post-2016

2014: 2-2-0
2015: 3-2-0 (5-4-0)
2016: 2-4-0 (7-8-0)
2017: 3-3-0 (10-11-0)
2018: 3-2-0 (13-13-0)
2019: 2-3-0 (15-16-0)
2020: 3-2-0 (18-18-0)
2021: 5-4-0 (23-22-0)
2022: 0-2-0 (23-24-0)

I am very much enjoying all the stats being published (not here, thankfully) about the proportion of teams who make the finals after starting the year 0-2, 0-3, 0-4, ...

It's such a misdirect. The club's goal, stated clearly and repeatedly, is to win an AFL premiership. So I don't care how many teams made the finals after starting 0-2. I don't care that a couple of teams made the finals last year after starting 0-3. I don't care that Sydney started 2017 0-4 and still made the top 8. Because that's not the yardstick against which we have told everyone - players, coaches, administrators, commentators, opponents, supporters - we should be measured. Making finals is not winning a flag, and we won't make the finals anyway

Don't judge us on what we do. Don't judge us on what we've done in the past. Don't judge us on what we hope to do in the future. We don't exist to win premierships. We don't even exist to make our community proud. We exist to fall short of expectations.

Last edited:
We don't fall short of expectations as much as redefine those expectations so that as many of us "white noise" members as possible become happy clappers.

Just waiting for the Club to come out and tell us we are "resetting" and the pass mark for the season is half a dozen wins...

I am very much enjoying all the stats being published (not here, thankfully) about the proportion of teams who make the finals after starting the year 0-2, 0-3, 0-4, ...

It's such a misdirect. The club's goal, stayed clearly and repeatedly, is to win an AFL premiership. So I don't care how many teams made the finals after starting 0-2. I don't care that a couple of teams made the finals last year after starting 0-3. I don't care that Sydney started 2017 0-4 and still made the top 8. Because that's not the yardstick against which we have told everyone - players, coaches, administrators, commentators, opponents, supporters - we should be measured. Making finals is not winning a flag, and we won't make the finals anyway

Don't judge us on what we do. Don't judge us on what we've done in the past. Don't judge us on what we hope to do in the future. We don't exist to win premierships. We don't even exist to make our community proud. We exist to fall short of expectations.
We exist to churn out spin and lower the bar, so as to make unhappy malcontents like us irrelevant.

Ed Begley Jr Young Sheldon GIF by CBS

"Any club worth its salt will clean out its no-hopers from the doorman, to the head trainer, to the captain.

Keeping no-hopers in these positions, or any other position, is the mark of the non-successful club.

You've got to weed out people who breed an atmosphere of non-professionalism.

They're there for the bloody joke, for the social life, for the prestige. They're not there to win!!

"To be successful, each of us must be active, aggressive and devoted to this cause. We agree
that success is well within our reach and have confidence that each member of both team and
management will suffer personal sacrifices for the common end." - Foster Neil Williams.

"Any club worth its salt will clean out its no-hopers from the doorman, to the head trainer, to the captain.

Keeping no-hopers in these positions, or any other position, is the mark of the non-successful club.

You've got to weed out people who breed an atmosphere of non-professionalism.

They're there for the bloody joke, for the social life, for the prestige. They're not there to win!!

"To be successful, each of us must be active, aggressive and devoted to this cause. We agree
that success is well within our reach and have confidence that each member of both team and
management will suffer personal sacrifices for the common end." - Foster Neil Williams.
That's good. We should get it written on a poster in the foyer or something ... :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back