Roast We cannot lose Neil Balme

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep signed sealed delivered to crows shortage of Monte Carlo Arnotts in Vic crows offered him no shortage of supply.

He's 68, and at that age, I imagine he has had a major part in decisions both to reduce his role and not go up to the hub.

I dare say the coming years will see his role reduce further as he becomes more of a 'mentor' rather than a central figure.

Reduction to the soft football dept cap will also see his role to be less football related so less of his pay will count towards that. (at least, we'll tell people it's like that, reality could be somewhat different).

He's 68, and at that age, I imagine he has had a major part in decisions both to reduce his role and not go up to the hub.

I dare say the coming years will see his role reduce further as he becomes more of a 'mentor' rather than a central figure.

Reduction to the soft football dept cap will also see his role to be less football related so less of his pay will count towards that. (at least, we'll tell people it's like that, reality could be somewhat different).

Can Puma just employ him as their key account manager , We are a key account for them and Balmey could take care of RFC needs

Tim Livingston is his apprentice.
So things are in place already.
Neil will go part time i reckon.
Doubt he'll go interstate.
Besides what a way to finish up.
The club that brought him success as a player to an admin who brought back success to said club.
Pretty well how I see it , have invested in livo and Hartley , balmey teaching them all he knows. At 68 I’d doubt he’d want to shift to a ft gig elsewhere , let alone interstate

The biggest mistake to leave him behind a operator of his calibre sets standards,culture and organised I still maintain that was baffling decision .To many incidents up there for my liking way to many.His not going to stop the boys going out , but no one in the afl circle has his know how's.

The biggest mistake to leave him behind a operator of his calibre sets standards,culture and organised I still maintain that was baffling decision .To many incidents up there for my liking way to many.His not going to stop the boys going out , but no one in the afl circle has his know how's.
youd have thought that his position is exactly made for these situations. but at his age perhaps he didnt want to go. i dont think people have considered that.

youd have thought that his position is exactly made for these situations. but at his age perhaps he didnt want to go. i dont think people have considered that.

Could be correct, but should have come up with Gale and Co this week with all off field stuff of late cool head of his calm things.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly think, the 34 controversys that have plagued us this year, could firstly, end up costing us the flag, secondly, most definitely would have been reduced by more than half if Balme was not shifted from position to another.

I understand we gotta replace him at some point, but Essendon are STILL trying to replace Kevin Sheedy, it needs to be done right. After whars happened this year, is Tim Livingston right for this role? Is Blair? I dont know but this is alarming.

Dimma was always so glowing of Balme, becsuse Balme handled all the bullshit and dimma focused on the coaching. I just hope we dont repeat our mistakes due to over confidence.
Hi it's me here from the future...

You won't believe this but in about a weeks time, just when 300 AFL personnel arrive in Qld and timed perfectly with the announcement that the gf is going to be held at the Gabba and will be a night gf for the first time, two young Richmond players are going to crap all over that announcement and breach the covid protocols and cost the club $100k by going to a strip club and getting into a punch up at 3.30am.

It will be national news, damage the Richmond brand even further and divide the club supporters into those who think it's ok that the lads were just blowing off steam and hey they're just a bunch of frikkin strippers anyway and a geez everyone wants a kebab at 3am and what the hells is everyone getting their knickers in a knot about it's not like there's an international pandemic going on and the seasons been hanging by a thread all year just waiting for some idiots to get Covid because they were out all night and could have caught it and given it to the whole team and shut down the whole comp and why is everyone being so melodramatic and it's all fake news and vaccines are just a conspiracy until there's a Covid vax and I want one because I love my granny...oh but don't forget he was standing up for a mate too...at 3am...with a kebab...and that makes it ok...

...and those who think it was a bloody poor and disrespectful and selfish thing to do to their club who gave them a chance when for one of them nobody else would and just btw rehabbing injuries doesn't include being out on the piss sticking 50s in a girls G-string and since when is a 3am kebab on the diet of professional footballers, in-season trying to break into the premiership side and getting involved in a punch up outside a cop shop, getting arrested and generally bringing the code and the club into disrepute and hey I won't be paying the fine because I'm only on a hundred and fifty and it looks like I won't have to do suck eggs to the club I really profess love...

All this while Balmy cools his heels in Melbourne batting away $1M offers from minnows to run their football programs. It's no coincidence that since being removed/giving up the reins from day2day ops that the club has hit a series of icebergs.

Anyway, back to the future...you will all have to deal with the fallout, because Balmy...well, you know the rest.

Ciao for now...

Hi it's me here from the future...

You won't believe this but in about a weeks time, just when 300 AFL personnel arrive in Qld and timed perfectly with the announcement that the gf is going to be held at the Gabba and will be a night gf for the first time, two young Richmond players are going to crap all over that announcement and breach the covid protocols and cost the club $100k by going to a strip club and getting into a punch up at 3.30am.

It will be national news, damage the Richmond brand even further and divide the club supporters into those who think it's ok that the lads were just blowing off steam and hey they're just a bunch of frikkin strippers anyway and a geez everyone wants a kebab at 3am and what the hells is everyone getting their knickers in a knot about it's not like there's an international pandemic going on and the seasons been hanging by a thread all year just waiting for some idiots to get Covid because they were out all night and could have caught it and given it to the whole team and shut down the whole comp and why is everyone being so melodramatic and it's all fake news and vaccines are just a conspiracy until there's a Covid vax and I want one because I love my granny...oh but don't forget he was standing up for a mate too...at 3am...with a kebab...and that makes it ok...

...and those who think it was a bloody poor and disrespectful and selfish thing to do to their club who gave them a chance when for one of them nobody else would and just btw rehabbing injuries doesn't include being out on the piss sticking 50s in a girls G-string and since when is a 3am kebab on the diet of professional footballers, in-season trying to break into the premiership side and getting involved in a punch up outside a cop shop, getting arrested and generally bringing the code and the club into disrepute and hey I won't be paying the fine because I'm only on a hundred and fifty and it looks like I won't have to do suck eggs to the club I really profess love...

All this while Balmy cools his heels in Melbourne batting away $1M offers from minnows to run their football programs. It's no coincidence that since being removed/giving up the reins from day2day ops that the club has hit a series of icebergs.

Anyway, back to the future...you will all have to deal with the fallout, because Balmy...well, you know the rest.

Ciao for now...

So none of this would’ve happened if Balmy was up there?

So none of this would’ve happened if Balmy was up there?
Did any of this bullshit go down in the last three years before now ? Or did everything come together like the final.piece of the jigsaw puzzle ?

You tell me dude.

Did any of this bullshit go down in the last three years before now ? Or did everything come together like the final.piece of the jigsaw puzzle ?

You tell me dude.

Ok dude, I will.
Rather than speculate let’s look at facts as they actually happened.
2006 when Balmy was in the role at Collingwood.
Morrison fined $20000 for drink driving when club sponsor is TAC.
Club fined $200000
Tarrant and Johnson $5000 for brawl outside Port Melb pub.
Didak kicked out of a club after fight with his girlfriend.
Didak wins Copeland less than 24hrs after incident with taxi driver.

I love Balmy like everyone else, just don’t try to blame our own people on the actions of a couple of individuals.
it’s a media driven frenzy to escalate this. You see the perpetrators have been punished but the media want more. More scalps. Drive a wedge.
don’t get sucked into Caro’s narrative.

Ok dude, I will.
Rather than speculate let’s look at facts as they actually happened.
2006 when Balmy was in the role at Collingwood.
Morrison fined $20000 for drink driving when club sponsor is TAC.
Club fined $200000
Tarrant and Johnson $5000 for brawl outside Port Melb pub.
Didak kicked out of a club after fight with his girlfriend.
Didak wins Copeland less than 24hrs after incident with taxi driver.

I love Balmy like everyone else, just don’t try to blame our own people on the actions of a couple of individuals.
it’s a media driven frenzy to escalate this. You see the perpetrators have been punished but the media want more. More scalps. Drive a wedge.
don’t get sucked into Caro’s narrative.
Livo, you can quote me facts until the cows come home (toothless moron Collingwood facts if you really want to go that deep into the bucket, footballers are idiots, surely we can agree on that) but you will never (NEVER) convince me that Neil Balme coming home wasn't the final piece in a four decade horror jigsaw puzzle that changed our club.

I'm not saying he was the sole reason or that he did it on his own, I'm saying he provided the missing link. The discipline. The fear. The magic. The vibe. Whatever.

Leaving him home in Melbourne was a bad idea.

Livo, you can quote me facts until the cows come home (toothless moron Collingwood facts if you really want to go that deep into the bucket, footballers are idiots, surely we can agree on that) but you will never (NEVER) convince me that Neil Balme coming home wasn't the final piece in a four decade horror jigsaw puzzle that changed our club.

I'm not saying he was the sole reason or that he did it on his own, I'm saying he provided the missing link. The discipline. The fear. The magic. The vibe. Whatever.

Leaving him home in Melbourne was a bad idea.

Agree with everything you said...except the last line. This hub thing is unprecedented and no one has any idea how 65 people, cooped up together for months on end, will cope. Balmy is a champ but equally out of water as everyone else in this situation.

Agree with everything you said...except the last line. This hub thing is unprecedented and no one has any idea how 65 people, cooped up together for months on end, will cope. Balmy is a champ but equally out of water as everyone else in this situation.
Fair enough. We can agree to disagree. Pressure does weird things to people.

correct 40 young blokes together in the one place all different , fmd that wont be easy , to think Balmey is the dead set messiah and he has overseen pandemic HUBS previously with zero tolerance and perfect record and than nothing ever goes wrong under his watch is a fools paradise

Remove this Banner Ad

Back