balmey leaving

Remove this Banner Ad

What's bad about what i said?

He was sacked/pushed. Read the article

"In a conversation Balme described as briefly awkward, always caring but ultimately definitive, the Tigers CEO and his football boss Blair Hartley made it clear that season 2024 would be Balme’s last at the club.

Balme, speaking exclusively to this masthead about the decision, said he had come to terms with his subtly enforced exit but admitted it had not sat comfortably with him for some days afterwards.

“I think they were making the point they want me to retire rather than move me on,” he said, “and in a sense that takes the pressure off all of us. For a day or two I did feel a little bit uncomfortable, but the reality is I’m out of the decision-making area, and it’s kind of like a changing of the guard.

What they were saying was I’ve done my work at Richmond without any doubt. And while they have enormous respect for my relationship with the Richmond community the reality is I’ve been a bit crook and a bit weird.
“I’m not as strong mentally as I used to be, and I struggle with my emotions sometimes.

I’m not really part of match committee any more,” said Balme, “and they made a conscious decision not to have me involved [with Yze’s appointment] and I accepted that.”

What I have to say doesn’t always suit them,” he observed of both club and head office. While Balme has a relationship with the new coach, “he doesn’t regularly come into my office and ask my advice”.

-------

Stop being such a ******* life pansy and just accept that real grown ups are forced to make tough decisions all the time.

He was pushed, they new regime didn't want him involved. He was not really happy nor comfortable about it. But he is not in the decision making process so he accepts it and moves on. How does taking the article EXACTLY how its written make me negative?

FWIW you squibs, we are EXACLTLY where i said we were heading in 2021 while you all called me a negative hater. I'm just a realist who stopped wearing guernseys and my footy heart on my sleeve when i was 15.

It sounds like Yze & Balmey might have had some history together. States he was left out of the decision making process for the new coach, which is pretty odd considering his experience (perhaps club identified that he had his own opinion on Adem that was not helpful to the process) - and that Yze basically doesn't refer to him for guidance or advice. To me, it sounds to me that, likely, Benny had defended Balmey and said "while i'm here, he stays". Now that Benny has confirmed he is moving on, the call was made.

Times are a changin' indeed.

To be honest, i find if far more insulting that people are suggesting that Balmey had become so unwell that he had become feeble or some s**t. It's a regime change, clearly. And when that happens, people get sacked.

And where EXACTLY are we heading RJK? Obviously down in your opinion. Why do you sound so happy about that? So you can then say "See I told you so!"?

It wouldn't matter what Richmond did, you would find something to criticise. If you don't like things, you can always go and support another team.

My reading of it all it is clear as day he was pushed. I don’t want to dwell on it though as it’s really an ill feeling and such a horrible tragedy that such a great man has exited the club in such poor circumstances. I must admit his presence and input over the past three years has been minimal and it was probably mainly due to his illnesses and probably the best decision made for both parties. I still don’t like it bc his achievements for the club needed to go out with celebration, honour and recognition, yet we are told of it by reading it on some external media channel. This era of success is definitely closed and very sad how the cancer within the club spread from one person has become so malignant. Meh

My reading of it all it is clear as day he was pushed. I don’t want to dwell on it though as it’s really an ill feeling and such a horrible tragedy that such a great man has exited the club in such poor circumstances. I must admit his presence and input over the past three years has been minimal and it was probably mainly due to his illnesses and probably the best decision made for both parties. I still don’t like it bc his achievements for the club needed to go out with celebration, honour and recognition, yet we are told of it by reading it on some external media channel. This era of success is definitely closed and very sad how the cancer within the club spread from one person has become so malignant. Meh

We are told about it via media because someone blabbed to the media.
Balmey.
If you think the RFC aren’t planning to honour his time at the club…think again.
As you say, his input has been minimal over the last few years…and yet he’s being paid plenty. That says the club has more than looked after him.
A bad departure would’ve been 2019 when he was moved aside in favour of the real drivers of the footy dept.

I agree with most of what you've said. However I don't agree with the cancer culture bit just yet. It is sad that our era has ended. Benny, Peggy, Balme, Cotch, Jack every other leader have dragged us out of darkness to achieve everything we as supporters could of dreamed.

Leadership can get stale and ideas and values that worked 5 years ago might not work for us today! I see this as a positive. It's the next generations time to lead us forward and I'm glad we have given them the responsibility to do so.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reading the article seems like he wants to stay involved in footy. What I will say who made the call because it wasn't him ?. For me we're in transition loosing staff and most of our flag heroes no one better to guide the ship then Balme the best footy administrator. Add to that helping and guiding Yze. Find it a bit puzzling you don't keep him around even in a part time situation.
He said himself he's not involved in footy department decisions anymore and that Yze doesn't have much at all to do with him.

My question is WTF are we paying him for?

Yeah..... So Benny knew months ago, but Balmey didn't. So, as i said, its likely Benny said "as long as i'm here, Balmey stays. End of story".

The second Benny made it clear he was not going to be here, literally 24-48 hours, they cut ties with Balmey.

I think we somewhat agree. I agree his health & phasing out has been a work in progress, clearly. What i said is, I dont think Balmey see's it this way. Hence why his article is littered with oxymoron's of him sounding clearly frustrated and slanted, but also pushing the company line like he has done for decades.

I don't even really have an opinion on if the call was right or not - just reading the article its clear the decision was not something they came up with "together" - it was a decision made for him. And the way it was presented to him just sounds kinda s**t from Hartley.

How do you come to the conclusion that Benny knew months ago and Balmey didn’t, the article literally says nothing of the sort.

How do you come to the conclusion that Benny knew months ago and Balmey didn’t, the article literally says nothing of the sort.

Well i know Balmey only found out at the lunch, as it says that in the article.

The parts about Benny, i have said "i can assume" to basically pre-curse it & then given the reasons why. He quoted the club had concerns about his health, dialed back his impact and role in key decision making. They had completely dialled back his role at the club. It sounds like they have been moving on from him before they had actually moved on from him, so you would assume it was a strategy of the club to do that & Benny would be involved in that process as its probably part of his job.

I doubt the club decided overnight it wanted to move on from a stalwart like Balme & i see no reason why they needed to do it in Round 2. Its usually something you do at the end of the year, yeah?

It sounds like it was on the agenda sooner than later and circumstance have sped it up, most likely Benny Gale departing. It does make sense from some points of view to move them both on at the same time to start again

Balmey.
If you think the RFC aren’t planning to honour his time at the club…think again.
As you say, his input has been minimal over the last few years…and yet he’s being paid plenty. That says the club has more than looked after him.
A bad departure would’ve been 2019 when he was moved aside in favour of the real drivers of the footy dept.
Well said , at 73 , that would suggest to me the club has more than looked after balmey and as you rightly said would have been paid handsomely to be that conduit for sponsors and coterie , ultimately his work is done , there’s nothing to see here , a new era is very much beginning at tigerland

Think it’s one of those things that doesn’t have an easy, or right or wrong approach

Anyone has been around any footy club or sporting club for that matter know they always have those old clubbies who were once really important cogs in the machine but have ultimately aged out

They are important to the fabric of the place but in terms of practicality if they aren’t actually adding anything it gets difficult to justify having them around on an official capacity especially if it means being employed

These types sometimes are extremely proud and won’t move on their own accord and nothing is wrong with a golden handshake in a respectful manner and rarely accept it at first but in time they come to realise it’s the best thing for both them and the organisation they love

Balmey.

.....and the last few years the club has made every ******* wrong decision under the sun. Funny that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it’s one of those things that doesn’t have an easy, or right or wrong approach

Anyone has been around any footy club or sporting club for that matter know they always have those old clubbies who were once really important cogs in the machine but have ultimately aged out

They are important to the fabric of the place but in terms of practicality if they aren’t actually adding anything it gets difficult to justify having them around on an official capacity especially if it means being employed

These types sometimes are extremely proud and won’t move on their own accord and nothing is wrong with a golden handshake in a respectful manner and rarely accept it at first but in time they come to realise it’s the best thing for both them and the organisation they love

Don't disagree with that at all.

My post on this thread are all about my reading of "the how & why" VS any outrage.

Feels like to me that the more the "old crew"left, the less support Balmey had while "his health declined", which lets face it, is a supposed decline in his mental faculties essentially. I won't pretend to have any insigh into how true that belief was - for all i know he has been sharp as ever. It appears to me that, the less Balmey was involved in the decision making processes, the more wrong decisions we have made.

It's totally batshit naive for anyone NOT to think the timing had everything to do with Benny's pending announcement tho. It doesn't make it a "scandal" - its just how s**t tends to happen. Seems pretty obvious they were willing to keep him around while Benny was there to back him ( need to remember, this guy was offered a VERY lucrative deal to join Adelaide in 2021 - the club was likely ensuring that his decision to remain loyal to the club (well, on his Dr's strong advice its worth noting), wasn't going to cost him & his family, likely, the last big pay cheque he genuinelly deserves.

This article from 2021 where he "decided to stay" (on medical advice), he clearly states....

“I am in a position now where I’ve had a bit of an unusual medical condition and I’ve been told I shouldn’t be thinking about doing anything different and I’m going to genuinely stay at the Tigers over the next couple of years,” he told Garry and Tim in October 2020.

its actually been "a couple" of couple of years - this was going to be his final year for sure -they just brought it forward once Benny was leaving as , likely, the new crew do not have the same affection for the history and therefore, the tolerance, for his "unstable emotions" as he put it.

I have no issue with the club doing that for him, nor with them choosing to bring it forward, but it does seem like the way they handled it " a fairly fakely veiled chat in the public domain at a cafe about him needing a holiday - is more than likely the part he found offensive. The new group though can no longer lean on the success and results of the past regime anymore. It's all on them now. And they need to pull up their socks as so far - compared to Peggy, Benny, Neil, Trent, Alex & Jack - they are looking like a K-Mart version of what we are used to

Last edited:
Don't disagree with that at all.

My post on this thread are all about my reading of "the how & why" VS any outrage.

Feels like to me that the more the "old crew"left, the less support Balmey had while "his health declined", which lets face it, is a supposed decline in his mental faculties essentially. I won't pretend to have any insigh into how true that belief was - for all i know he has been sharp as ever. It appears to me that, the less Balmey was involved in the decision making processes, the more wrong decisions we have made.

It's totally batshit naive for anyone NOT to think the timing had everything to do with Benny's pending announcement tho. It doesn't make it a "scandal" - its just how s**t tends to happen. Seems pretty obvious they were willing to keep him around while Benny was there to back him ( need to remember, this guy was offered a VERY lucrative deal to join Adelaide in 2021 - the club was likely ensuring that his decision to remain loyal to the club (well, on his Dr's strong advice its worth noting), wasn't going to cost him & his family, likely, the last big pay cheque he genuinelly deserves.

This article from 2021 where he "decided to stay" (on medical advice), he clearly states....

“I am in a position now where I’ve had a bit of an unusual medical condition and I’ve been told I shouldn’t be thinking about doing anything different and I’m going to genuinely stay at the Tigers over the next couple of years,” he told Garry and Tim in October 2020.

its actually been "a couple" of couple of years - this was going to be his final year for sure -they just brought it forward once Benny was leaving as , likely, the new crew do not have the same affection for the history and therefore, the tolerance, for his "unstable emotions" as he put it.

I have no issue with the club doing that for him, nor with them choosing to bring it forward, but it does seem like the way they handled it " a fairly fakely veiled chat in the public domain at a cafe about him needing a holiday - is more than likely the part he found offensive. The new group though can no longer lean on the success and results of the past regime anymore. It's all on them now. And they need to pull up their socks as so far - compared to Peggy, Benny, Neil, Trent, Alex & Jack - they are looking like a K-Mart version of what we are used to
Yeah I wasn’t really commenting on anyone’s take in particular just putting my 2c in

Sounds to me like the AFL have put the hard word on the club to oust him as they can’t handle him telling them they are ******* useless .
With umpiring against us continually getting worst you could imagine Balmey has been regularly pointing out to them their blantant cheating.
Cant agree to this. Health comes first and he has said that himself. All the best Balmey.

Health not pushed.

Health not pushed.

Being pushed because of a lack of faith in your health ie mental competency is still being pushed.

He either went to them asking to resign, or they came to him asking him to leave. His health causing his mental capacity to become questionable is still being sacked. The article paints a real clear picture.

Sacking people can sometimes be something that is required in business. Doesn't make you an evil bastard, or mean you did the wrong thing.

The interesting thing will be if he accepts a role at another club & how their fortunes turn from that. They guys records is absolute. Everyone is talking for him in regards to his health causing him to be some kind of ol feeble, but we have nfi - its all hearsay

And where EXACTLY are we heading RJK? Obviously down in your opinion. Why do you sound so happy about that? So you can then say "See I told you so!"?

It wouldn't matter what Richmond did, you would find something to criticise. If you don't like things, you can always go and support another team.

I'm not happy about it, but the "i told you so" i am definitely shoving in your ******* faces.

I told you after the collapse in 2021 it was over and we needed to accept we are not going to win another flag with this group and you all abused me.

I told you in 2021 we needed to start trading out our warriors as the wear and tear of success is about to hit ( ie Prestia ) & you all abused me.

I told you the standards on & off-field were slipping & it was a sign of bigger problems and ya'll abused me.

I told you after the 2020 flag the club should trade for Peter Wright or Hogan while they are giving them away as a future replacement for Jack & ruck depth would secure our future structure, & the club could give Hogan 12-24 months to get himself right as we stilll had Jack & ya'll abused me.

The next year when we lost Lynch and the season went to s**t I said if the club is convinced it can still compete, then we should get Levi Casboult as with CCJ & Chol departing, we needed some level of competent KF to maintain our structure if Lynch or old man Jack got injured & you abused me.

I then told you for 2 years before Dimma quit that he was no longer the same guy, that his affair, divorce had changed his character and he will play for his ego VS what is best for the club & he eventually quit on us, mid contract, 6 weeks after trading our entire future for "one more chance" & ****ed off to the Suns for mo money, mo money. And you all REALLY abused me.

I told you trading for both Hopper and Taranto was a massive mistake and giving them both equal 7 year contracts was going to be a big regret and ya'll abused me.

At what point do you just stop attacking me and go "yeah dude, i hate ya, but you were right". And I was. Everything i warned you about is here and no amount of rolled up toilet paper up your clacker is going to stop the blood flowing

We are heading exactly where Hawthorn & West Coast headed. Down. & unless we accept it and embrace it, we wont come back up anytime soon

I never said it to be cool or controversial - i said it because i ******* believed it. I could see what was happening and i spent quite a lot of time trying to convince people in some desperate attempt that perhaps the supporter base would stop supporting this delusion, the club would not feel so pressured to "not let go" of the dynasty and be smart and move forward 1 year early, instead of 3 years too late.

Last edited:
It has certainly always felt like he was the key piece to our triple premiership puzzle.

Don't like the sound of this at all, if the article can be taken as correct. Why would we not negotiate a different position with him if that was his wish. Reeks more of a corporate rather than club decision. Wonder whether it would have happened with Peggy as president and Brendon still with his eye on the Richmond ball. Time will tell.

And I had also long felt that Balmey was a key source for many Caro stories.

My gut feeling is that Tim Livingstone is having to much say in the footy department and I have never seen what the fuss is with him. It was Balme who transformed our football department into a force , and that's why in this current transition period his input would be crucial.

I'm not happy about it, but the "i told you so" i am definitely shoving in your ******* faces.

I told you after the collapse in 2021 it was over and we needed to accept we are not going to win another flag with this group and you all abused me.

I told you in 2021 we needed to start trading out our warriors as the wear and tear of success is about to hit ( ie Prestia ) & you all abused me.

I told you the standards on & off-field were slipping & it was a sign of bigger problems and ya'll abused me.

I told you after the 2020 flag the club should trade for Peter Wright or Hogan while they are giving them away as a future replacement for Jack & ruck depth would secure our future structure, & the club could give Hogan 12-24 months to get himself right as we stilll had Jack & ya'll abused me.

The next year when we lost Lynch and the season went to s**t I said if the club is convinced it can still compete, then we should get Levi Casboult as with CCJ & Chol departing, we needed some level of competent KF to maintain our structure if Lynch or old man Jack got injured & you abused me.

I then told you for 2 years before Dimma quit that he was no longer the same guy, that his affair, divorce had changed his character and he will play for his ego VS what is best for the club & he eventually quit on us, mid contract, 6 weeks after trading our entire future for "one more chance" & ****ed off to the Suns for mo money, mo money. And you all REALLY abused me.

I told you trading for both Hopper and Taranto was a massive mistake and giving them both equal 7 year contracts was going to be a big regret and ya'll abused me.

At what point do you just stop attacking me and go "yeah dude, i hate ya, but you were right". And I was. Everything i warned you about is here and no amount of rolled up toilet paper up your clacker is going to stop the blood flowing

We are heading exactly where Hawthorn & West Coast headed. Down. & unless we accept it and embrace it, we wont come back up anytime soon

I never said it to be cool or controversial - i said it because i ******* believed it. I could see what was happening and i spent quite a lot of time trying to convince people in some desperate attempt that perhaps the supporter base would stop supporting this delusion, the club would not feel so pressured to "not let go" of the dynasty and be smart and move forward 1 year early, instead of 3 years too late.

Feel better after all that do you?

Jesus, how did you cope during the 37 year drought or are you too young to remember that?

You might be better off following another side.

tenor-3624001273.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back