2nds WAFL Watch 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Centrals were playing him up forward in the SANFL GF that he nearly won off his own boot.

Was aware of the overhead marking and guts. Can't view the vids I'm afraid.

In any case, I'm sure a article written on him around the time of the draft mentioned he could play both flanks and in the midfield. Mentioned his courage, overhead marking and fitness. Will try to dig it up.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...tricts-lee-spurr/story-e6frecj3-1226181974818

"I'm really fit and one of my strengths is that I can play just about anywhere - on the ball, wing, half-back or half-forward," he said.
"I've worked pretty hard on my versatility to give myself the best opportunity of playing at the highest level possible."

Self promotion, I dunno, but that sounded like he'd been played in a few spots to me.

Like most defender/mids they will get swung forward on occasion though.

Not really sure what point you're trying to make matey.

Maybe if I said that he has played MOST of his footy in the back half and mids?

Edit: Why can't you view the vids? D/l flashplayer?

I wonder how Michie would go playing forward flank anyone know how his over head marking is? seems to kick regular goals in the wafl so must have alright goal smarts.

He was drafted as more of an outside mid/flanker. Ask anyone at Peel and they will tell you how ordinary he was for them around stoppages when he first arrived. They were a poor stoppage team at the time, somehow he managed to make them worse. Both offensively and defensively. Freo was really pushing for him to be used on the inside - rushing his development - but it certainly wasn't one of his strengths. IMO he has always looked much better on the outside in attacking roles.

He's always had issues with his work rate. He looked Mundy-esque with his laconic approach/attitude when he first arrived. Comments like the most recent ones from the WAFL watch ("Viv’s tackling intensity was really high, and he was highly efficient with his ball use – of his 20 possessions, 16 were effective. He was given the task of shutting down Jake Murphy in the third quarter and we were impressed with his attitude and application to a team task. Overall, Viv had 10 tackles and he continues to build his game") are a good indication he's changed a lot in this regard.

Like most defender/mids they will get swung forward on occasion though.

Not really sure what point you're trying to make matey.

Maybe if I said that he has played MOST of his footy in the back half and mids?

Edit: Why can't you view the vids? D/l flashplayer?

Happy with the bolded. I'll take that. ;)

At work, and have a "bandwidth-intensive-warning" thing for any youtube links. Paranoia really. Can watch them from home though.

Found these from the Viv Michie thread in 'Draft Watch'... not sure how to quote

"Well rounded player who is dangerous as a forward and can play midfield or back. Excellent kick and reads game extremely well. Represented VIC-Metro in the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 16 disposals and two goals." Kevin Sheehan

What type of player are you?
"I am a medium-sized player who plays in the midfield but can also push to a half-forward flank or half-back flank. I have pretty good skills and can mark overhead, and can kick goals."

What are your strengths as a footballer?
My kicking is probably my main strength along with being able to mark overhead. I also think I am reasonably versatile, being able to play inside and outside in the midfield as well as pushing forward or back.

U18 champs - averaged 1.8 goals in 5 games

This link also useful

I could see him playing forward in a similar way to Mayne, tough to match up on because he marks taller than he is so is also very good on ground level. I see that kind of player suiting the Dewy conditions at Metricon

I could see him playing forward in a similar way to Mayne, tough to match up on because he marks taller than he is so is also very good on ground level. I see that kind of player suiting the Dewy conditions at Metricon

185 cm is a reasonable height.

His draft profile said 187 cm. I have no idea how a kid can shrink. The club figures are often shorter than the others I see around the place.

EDIT:

Think he'd be handier on a forward flank and around the ball, rather than being a third tall. The first works a bit better if he was to come in as a sub as well.

But you never know.

His WAFL watch write up didn't seem especially effusive with praise. So maybe I'm just dreaming that he'll get a run as a sub.

185 cm is a reasonable height.

His draft profile said 187 cm. I have no idea how a kid can shrink. The club figures are often shorter than the others I see around the place.

EDIT:

Think he'd be handier on a forward flank and around the ball, rather than being a third tall. The first works a bit better if he was to come in as a sub as well.

But you never know.

His WAFL watch write up didn't seem especially effusive with praise. So maybe I'm just dreaming that he'll get a run as a sub.
The wafl write ups are never definitive about how they play, it always writes as if they all had ok games. Crozier had 24 touches in the second half and all Simon loyd says is he "got going" those number are outstanding. I wouldn't buy into the wafl report too much

The wafl write ups are never definitive about how they play, it always writes as if they all had ok games. Crozier had 24 touches in the second half and all Simon loyd says is he "got going" those number are outstanding. I wouldn't buy into the wafl report too much

Classic how understated that is. If he'd got the same in both halves he would have got 48 touches, imagine the reaction from Lloyd - 'Got a few touches off the HFF'

Classic how understated that is. If he'd got the same in both halves he would have got 48 touches, imagine the reaction from Lloyd - 'Got a few touches off the HFF'
He needs to start being more expansive with his comments, when players play bad say it like Ross would "he hardly touched it" none of this he competed hard all day crap. No one wins by sugar coating it Simon

The comments about Michie getting moved onto Jake Murphy in a stopping role may explain why he was spotted less (in terms of getting the ball) late in the game rather than his fitness being an issue as some have speculated this week?

Positive write up about Taberner!
People look at his stats and seeing only one goal next to his name, then judge him based on that. But I think he was much better than that. 8 marks and 18 disposals in his 2nd league game isn't bad at all. The goals will come if he keeps doing what he's doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The comments about Michie getting moved onto Jake Murphy in a stopping role may explain why he was spotted less (in terms of getting the ball) late in the game rather than his fitness being an issue as some have speculated this week?
yeah that's what i was thinking the one thing that impressed me was how hard he worked to lay a tackle or put pressure on!
another positive out of the game was the work rate of tanner running up the ground giving an option and tacking a few nice makes on the lead. didn't take many contested but still brought it to ground and with another few years to put on the kg's we got something to work with.

Z Clarke, T Sheridan, J Simpson all absent from WAFL this weekend? Did we take more emergencies than usual? I guess Zac may still be held back with his calf but anyone know about the others missing?

another positive out of the game was the work rate of tanner running up the ground giving an option and tacking a few nice makes on the lead. didn't take many contested but still brought it to ground and with another few years to put on the kg's we got something to work with.

Taberner. Apart from that, spot on.

Was also a very handy field kick.

Coughed up a chance for a goal on the goal line, with a snap that he should probably have potted.

But good signs. Ran to good places and took a lot of good marks out on the wings and up the ground. Generally used the ball well. Nice job for his second WAFL game.

Glad to see Crichton named back in the Peel side. Hope his quad is okay and puts in a big effort to put pressure on Spurr, Ibbo and Suban.

B: C Luff P Faulks D Robinson
HB: J Hawksley J Flaherty J Crichton
C: D Mcfarlane M Orzel K Lawrence
HF: V Michie P Bower M Brown
FF: B Holmes M Taberner C Garlett
F: K Westwood M Motlop B Jones
Int: A Forster, K Thornton, J Bristow, B Gillam, R Mulgrave, J Daniels, M Green

Glad to see Crichton named back in the Peel side. Hope his quad is okay and puts in a big effort to put pressure on Spurr, Ibbo and Suban.

B: C Luff P Faulks D Robinson
HB: J Hawksley J Flaherty J Crichton
C: D Mcfarlane M Orzel K Lawrence
HF: V Michie P Bower M Brown
FF: B Holmes M Taberner C Garlett
F: K Westwood M Motlop B Jones
Int: A Forster, K Thornton, J Bristow, B Gillam, R Mulgrave, J Daniels, M Green

Based on how well Forster defended and used the ball last week (with his few possessions) it'd be nice to see him get some more time on a back flank this week, rather than as a KPD.

Using Tabs as FF. Interesting. A directive from Freo anyone reckon? Dunno what he was playing last week, but he was making a lot of long leads up outside the 50.

Z Clarke, T Sheridan, J Simpson all absent from WAFL this weekend? Did we take more emergencies than usual? I guess Zac may still be held back with his calf but anyone know about the others missing?

Haven't heard anything about Simpson. Injured at training perhaps or maybe discipline?

Haven't heard anything about Simpson. Injured at training perhaps or maybe discipline?

He was pretty ordinary at training on Thursday. I knew he would not be considered for selection this week after watching him train. He is trying though and will get there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back