Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think Vic Bias exists because Vics actually conspire against non Vic, coz intent / dislike?

Or do you think the bias exists because vics are favoured coz they're the largest market / contributors?

I honestly think the 2 biggest contributors are the fan noise and genuine incompetence. If it's Collingwood Adelaide at the g we won't win the free kick count. And I'd say the same is true when you guys play us here.

Then there's incompetence mixed with inconsistencies of now 4 umpires leading to the game being umpired differently.

Then I think you get down to the umpires who don't like certain players or won't pay free kicks to certain players.

Then it's certain umpires not liking certain teams. I know the crows famously had an umpire pay 17 free kicks to Bulldogs and 1 to us in a whole match. Troy Pannell I reckon it was. The crows said in the press conference afterwards that we were going to be sending in a please explain for some of the decisions and before we even got a chance to do that the AFL had made a statement (about 30 minutes after ours) that they had ticked off all the decisions and there was nothing to see here.

So I think it's a fair way down the list. But it is kind of entrenched.

An in good faith question, do you think Finlayson would have got a 20k fine and suspended sentence and Clarkson would have got a 3 game suspension if the order of those events had been reversed? I honestly don't think so. I think Finlayson would have got games where Clarkson the saviour got a warning.

I guess I see it as not a massive cheating scandal happening every week or anything like that, but when it does happen the rub of the green tends to go the way of the Victorian teams. As in the AFL decisions. And you guys have the biggest media voice so that's part of it as well, and the AFL have a long history of allowing the media to dictate how they operate at times.

I honestly think the 2 biggest contributors are the fan noise and genuine incompetence. If it's Collingwood Adelaide at the g we won't win the free kick count. And I'd say the same is true when you guys play us here.

Then there's incompetence mixed with inconsistencies of now 4 umpires leading to the game being umpired differently.

Then I think you get down to the umpires who don't like certain players or won't pay free kicks to certain players.

Then it's certain umpires not liking certain teams. I know the crows famously had an umpire pay 17 free kicks to Bulldogs and 1 to us in a whole match. Troy Pannell I reckon it was. The crows said in the press conference afterwards that we were going to be sending in a please explain for some of the decisions and before we even got a chance to do that the AFL had made a statement (about 30 minutes after ours) that they had ticked off all the decisions and there was nothing to see here.

So I think it's a fair way down the list. But it is kind of entrenched.

An in good faith question, do you think Finlayson would have got a 20k fine and suspended sentence and Clarkson would have got a 3 game suspension if the order of those events had been reversed? I honestly don't think so. I think Finlayson would have got games where Clarkson the saviour got a warning.

I guess I see it as not a massive cheating scandal happening every week or anything like that, but when it does happen the rub of the green tends to go the way of the Victorian teams. As in the AFL decisions. And you guys have the biggest media voice so that's part of it as well, and the AFL have a long history of allowing the media to dictate how they operate at times.

It is a much bigger deal to suspend a coach (which arguably penalises the entire club) than a player.

Don't disagree with the rest of your post, although I think the umpires do their best with what they are directed to do. It's a very hard sport to umpire and the AFL make it harder each year.

It is a much bigger deal to suspend a coach (which arguably penalises the entire club) than a player.

It's also arguably more important for the head coach to be setting a good example and not saying stupid things like that so the penalty should be stiffer. He's older wiser and more experienced. But I'm not going to go back and forward arguing over port and Clarkson lol. Happy to concede and move on rather than do that 🤣

It's also arguably more important for the head coach to be setting a good example and not saying stupid things like that so the penalty should be stiffer. He's older wiser and more experienced. But I'm not going to go back and forward arguing over port and Clarkson lol. Happy to concede and move on rather than do that 🤣

I agree it's pretty subjective and I can see why Port supporters would be bitter. But they love their bitter little world so meh.

We were the late Sunday afternoon game a fair bit last year. The tv networks think it's a time slot that they can open up as a cash cow - as everyone is at home.
After a couple of the classic Jamie Elliott finishes on Sunday arvo in 2022, Pies got a fair few Sunday arvo games.

In 2023 the Pies at the G got
80k to Sunday arvo v Carltom
70k to Sunday arvo v Sydney
65k to Sunday arvo v Adelaide

And also played a few full houses in Adelaide on Sunday arvo.

It seem Sunday arvo is a marquee slot, if Collingwood is playing.

After a couple of the classic Jamie Elliott finishes on Sunday arvo in 2022, Pies got a fair few Sunday arvo games.

In 2023 the Pies at the G got
80k to Sunday arvo v Carltom
70k to Sunday arvo v Sydney
65k to Sunday arvo v Adelaide

And also played a few full houses in Adelaide on Sunday arvo.

It seem Sunday arvo is a marquee slot, if Collingwood is playing.
We're the cash cow. A lot of Friday night early season for the Pies to make sure everyone is back on board and in the habit watching that timeslot. The winter draw will be Pies on Sunday late afternoon a lot, as it was last year. It's the one they're trying to open up as a big time slot for tv.

We're the cash cow. A lot of Friday night early season for the Pies to make sure everyone is back on board and in the habit watching that timeslot. The winter draw will be Pies on Sunday late afternoon a lot, as it was last year. It's the one they're trying to open up as a big time slot for tv.
2023, Pies had 7 Sunday arvo marquee slots whilst Freo and Port only had 5.

It is more VICBIAS that the Pies get all the marquee Sunday arvo slots.

When will Freo and Port get their share, it is not fair.

Even out FTA games
Top team gets a home grand final
Even out Marquee time slots
Even out home state talent on list, through academies for all clubs

There are plenty of solutions offered, you just don't listen.
Fremantle fans get to see Freo play on FTA more than Melbourne supporters living in Melbourne.

You do realise if the top team is from Victoria they aint even gauranteed a home QF!?

Agree, Freo need to get their share of marquee Sunday games.

It is meant to be a national game, do you think big American sporting leagues think even give a shit about where a player was born. Absolutely backwards, small minded and irrelevant thinking...zones are a nonsense.

Your "solutions" dont address any problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2023, Pies had 7 Sunday arvo marquee slots whilst Freo and Port only had 5.

It is more VICBIAS that the Pies get all the marquee Sunday arvo slots.

When will Freo and Port get their share, it is not fair.
It's vicbias that North, WB, Stk occassionly get the cash cow of a home game against Collingwood. Those cash cows should only go to the non Vic teams.

If you're actually wondering if a Vic Bias exists, pretend you're a Freo supporter on the next Freo v Vic game and listen to the commentators circle jerk over the Vic team.

It's actually horrendous.
On our Friday night game v Essendon despite being in the lead and at home Channel 7 boundary rider speaks to an Essendon player and after the break we get a minute of Hinkley sprouting Hinkleyisms in some language that isn't English. It's a lose/lose situation.

On our Friday night game v Essendon despite being in the lead and at home Channel 7 boundary rider speaks to an Essendon player and after the break we get a minute of Hinkley sprouting Hinkleyisms in some language that isn't English. It's a lose/lose situation.
LOL, yeah VICBIAS that C7 speaks to the Port coach.

Hinkleyisms = VICBIAS.

Pretty clear now that the default position for fans of SA/WA teams is that anything they dont like or feel is unfair = VICBIAS.

Assuming that they did have the chance to bid (noting that there is no way they could compete with the Vic Government bid), this thread would still exist and #VICBIAS! would still be a rallying cry.
The wa government bought us a brand new stadium that’s won best in the world multiple times with nothing on offer… the vic government paid chicken feed for signing the gf up for the rest of my life.

The wa government bought us a brand new stadium that’s won best in the world multiple times with nothing on offer… the vic government paid chicken feed for signing the gf up for the rest of my life.

They paid for the Southern Stand reno, and I believe a fair bit of the new stand.

Glad to see the WA government finally built a stadium, about a decade after it was needed. For once they spent some money instead of just talking about how much money they have, now WA wants the world for building their discount MCG.

They paid for the Southern Stand reno, and I believe a fair bit of the new stand.

Glad to see the WA government finally built a stadium, about a decade after it was needed. For once they spent some money instead of just talking about how much money they have, now WA wants the world for building their discount MCG.
Dont want the world.

Just a fair share for all.

Amazing how Victorians think getting any less than 100% is someone demanding the world.

It's vicbias that North, WB, Stk occassionly get the cash cow of a home game against Collingwood. Those cash cows should only go to the non Vic teams.

I want to play the Pies at the G though. We never play there. Hawks always in Tassie. Carlton at docklands. We can only get two at most with Melbourne and Richmond. Some Interstate play more than us there and it our finals home ground.

I want to play the Pies at the G though. We never play there. Hawks always in Tassie. Carlton at docklands. We can only get two at most with Melbourne and Richmond. Some Interstate play more than us there and it our finals home ground.
Collingwood would like to play our home games against you at the G too, but the Docklands deal means that 2 of our home games are at Docklands. And we'd love it if you were able to choose to play your home game against us at the G.

Collingwood would like to play our home games against you at the G too, but the Docklands deal means that 2 of our home games are at Docklands. And we'd love it if you were able to choose to play your home game against us at the G.
And where do you play away games against geelong? Carlton? Etc….

Remove this Banner Ad

Back