US Sports: NBA NFL NHL and MLB

Remove this Banner Ad

love watching the america's game specials as well. especially when they are talking teams pre-1970. there were some greats of the game back then and they were nuts as well. some great stories.

big nba fan. hornets in my childhood when bogues , gill , curry , johnson and mourning were running around for them but now a big spurs fan. pop has them playing great team ball. suns are a great team to watch and like golden state and a bunch of other teams are great to watch.

also love nfl , its a great sport. one day i hope to get to america to watch a big game. dont follow any team in the nfl , i like the passing QBs and love the play making defensive stoppers who come up with big defensive plays when the game needs them like a sack or interception.

i enjoy baseball but just dont enjoy watching it a great deal.

So, are Port the "Bad Boys" of the AFL?

We're not known for it in the AFL because it is a young competition born from a Victorian league but in our state of South Australia we're hated for playing a tough brand of football but within the rules. We are mainly hated because we would break the hearts of a lot of opposition supporters when the finals came around. We had a history of winning finals as underdogs and up until the AFL was formed we had only missed finals about 4 times in 125 years. So the other supporters got very sick of us spoiling their party.

It is hard for comparisons between the AFL and the NFL to be made but before the NFL we know today was born, there were franchises that had already existed from the 20s and 30s that still exist today but played in different leagues. It is similar with Port.

We're not known for it in the AFL because it is a young competition born from a Victorian league but in our state of South Australia we're hated for playing a tough brand of football but within the rules. We are mainly hated because we would break the hearts of a lot of opposition supporters when the finals came around. We had a history of winning finals as underdogs and up until the AFL was formed we had only missed finals about 4 times in 125 years. So the other supporters got very sick of us spoiling their party.

It is hard for comparisons between the AFL and the NFL to be made but before the NFL we know today was born, there were franchises that had already existed from the 20s and 30s that still exist today but played in different leagues. It is similar with Port.

'Tough but within the rules' That's the brand of competition I like.

Maybe not always within the rules (especially if you ask opposition supporters) ... ;)

I recall in one of the America's Game specials a player talking about a teammate who had wimped out of a contest and it was clear that to this day he still despised that teammate. I wish I could remember the team and players but it is just eluding me. But that's the sort of attitude of Port Adelaide, if you don't put your head in the hole when it's your turn as we say here, you will lose the respect of your teammates and likely never win it back.

Maybe not always within the rules (especially if you ask opposition supporters) ... ;)

I recall in one of the America's Game specials a player talking about a teammate who had wimped out of a contest and it was clear that to this day he still despised that teammate. I wish I could remember the team and players but it is just eluding me. But that's the sort of attitude of Port Adelaide, if you don't put your head in the hole when it's your turn as we say here, you will lose the respect of your teammates and likely never win it back.

Yes, but that is a commonality with most other human interactions to some degree. Some just practice it more fervently than others. So you're saying Port Adelaide is fervent in their approach to the game of footy?

Yes, but that is a commonality with most other human interactions to some degree. Some just practice it more fervently than others. So you're saying Port Adelaide is fervent in their approach to the game of footy?

Yes that's how we Port supporters see it. If you can get your hands on a copy of a book called Dynasty, the story of Port Adelaide's iconic legendary coach Fos Williams it will give you an insight into the building of the modern Port Adelaide Football Club in the local competition. Its success laid the groundwork for Port Adelaide's eventual admission to the national competition - the AFL. Port Adelaide is the only single club to be admitted to the expanded national comp. Williams was a fanatically dedicated ruthlessly successful coach.

Fos Williams took over as Port player-coach in 1950 and won premierships in 1951, 1954-59 (a record in senior football, the 1959 premiership was coached by playing coach Geof Motley following Williams's playing retirement at the end of 1958), 1962-3 and 1965. Williams was succeeded as coach by another iconic Port player John Cahill in 1974 and Cahill coached premierships in 1977, 1979-81 1988-90, 1992, 1994-5. Port also won the premiership in 1996 but Cahill stepped aside as coach midway through 1996 to concentrate on Port's AFL team which commenced playing in the AFL in 1997. Cahill coached COllingwood and West Adelaide from1983-87.

does anyone know how whatsthisfooty can get his hands on footage of ports 2004 premiership? that would be a great game for him to see.

ozph1870 posted 4 youtube clips in the Introductions thread that are a good start and include 30 mins of highlights of the 2004 GF.

whatsthisfooty
here some photos of the local gridiron played here

10243344803_6bc8ff6f8a_b.jpg

10243671946_a157f4fd63_c.jpg

10243611866_54081a5085_c.jpg

10243589155_e405e65e32_c.jpg

10243474234_0025261e67_c.jpg

10243522636_65b80ef9d0_c.jpg

11474265046_5dc1919fd9_c.jpg

11475295703_6a9eb3dab0_c.jpg

11475151565_c95cdc9387_c.jpg

ozph1870 posted 4 youtube clips in the Introductions thread that are a good start and include 30 mins of highlights of the 2004 GF.
I've watched 2 of them so far, was impressed with the 1996 one with all of the historical information. The other was a highlight reel a couple of minutes long. Tried to watch it on my small tablet but not with these old eyes. I'll get on a proper computer for the viewing of the rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is how it should be, if you like the game, form some teams of your own and play the game. The NFL is not required for a country to have an entertaining and successful American Football league. Nice pictures, who's playing?

the red team is the south city chiefs, white - southern district oilers, maroon - eastside razorbacks, purple - adelaide eagles, black - port adelaide spartans

The Ram's Fearsome Foursome on 'A Football Life' next. I've been wanting to see this for months!
Rosie Grier, Deacon Jones, Merlin Olson, Lamar Lundy.

Deacon Jones #75 here was one of my favorites to watch. The guy could rush a passer like no other!

...anybody else think todays NFL players look a little too clean anymore?

I think they do look clean but I'm thinking that is fashion driven but beneath these clean looks there are too many of today's NFL players that have a very eccentric attitude. Their street behaviour seems to have migrated onto the sports field. I don't at all mean to offend but I agreed with NBA Commissioner Stern's rules of no chains and dresswear that mirrored gangster appearances. I was surprised that Tim Duncan opposed Stern's rules and I could not agree with Duncan's explanation. I admit that I do not know enough to make further comment about it but that's how it seemed to me that Stern believed there was no place in professional basketball for gangster appearances and behaviour. Afterall, sport needs to be inviting to families to attend. How do you feel?

I think they do look clean but I'm thinking that is fashion driven but beneath these clean looks there are too many of today's NFL players that have a very eccentric attitude. Their street behaviour seems to have migrated onto the sports field. I don't at all mean to offend but I agreed with NBA Commissioner Stern's rules of no chains and dresswear that mirrored gangster appearances. I was surprised that Tim Duncan opposed Stern's rules and I could not agree with Duncan's explanation. I admit that I do not know enough to make further comment about it but that's how it seemed to me that Stern believed there was no place in professional basketball for gangster appearances and behaviour. Afterall, sport needs to be inviting to families to attend. How do you feel?

I've never been a fan of basketball, so I don't really have a clue what's going on, on and off the court with the NBA guys. I know at one point, maybe 10 years ago, a number of the pros seemed awfully thuggish to me...guns in nightclubs and assorted "gangsta" behaviors. The NFL is not immune, however, as more and more footballers end up on the wrong side of the law over immature stupidity with guns, drugs, cars and alcohol. Then there's what appears to be the full-blown gang-banging antics of one Aaron Hernandez and it's not as easy to find an NFL player to look up to as a human being anymore. It appears that some NFL clubs are trying to distance themselves from this behavior, and I hope we reach a point where the 'bad boy' image is less appealing to our young athetes who've suddenly had boatloads of cash dumped on their heads. I think club codes of conduct are a good thing as a rule.

My point with the 'dirty' comment was much simpler though. I just meant that football used to be a game of dirty uniforms and down and dirty struggling in the trenches. It seems to me to be a bit more antiseptic these days, as evidenced by the mostly clean uniforms in todays game.

I am huge US sports fan.

First trip to the States was back in 96. I paid $500 US from a scalper to go the 49ers v Cowboys game at Candlestick. Game went into OT but the Cowgirls won :thumbsdown:

I have been to numerous NFL, NBA and NHL games in the US and Canada.

It is amazing how the stadiums can be converted from one sport to another sport in less than 24 hours.

I am huge US sports fan.

First trip to the States was back in 96. I paid $500 US from a scalper to go the 49ers v Cowboys game at Candlestick. Game went into OT but the Cowgirls won :thumbsdown:

I have been to numerous NFL, NBA and NHL games in the US and Canada.

It is amazing how the stadiums can be converted from one sport to another sport in less than 24 hours.

woah this lucky man got to see a cowboys win live.

They look clean because they play on artificial turf. The NFL has a no gang colours policy to bandanas but that is it, as far as I know and that is all there needs to be.
The whole idea that black urban fashion is offensive to all the white middle class fans of the game and should be banned is ridiculous and borderline racist. They got rid of the violence after the Malice in the Palace and that was enough. When you see what some players wear to press conferences, they are clearly just taking the piss.

My point with the 'dirty' comment was much simpler though. I just meant that football used to be a game of dirty uniforms and down and dirty struggling in the trenches. It seems to me to be a bit more antiseptic these days, as evidenced by the mostly clean uniforms in todays game.

Oh yes I agree with you on this count.

Another concern is the passing yards of those great QBs from before the naughties that are now being surpassed by too many QBs of today. Is it the adjustment of the rules that allows WRs more freedom to catch the ball and harder for CBs to defend at the consequence of incurring penalties?

Vancouver Canucks = Crows on steriods. The ultimate in plastic franchises. Some of the fans....:rolleyes:

Go **** yourself. Crows have won cups ;)

Never mind the fact that Vancouver joined the big league from the minors in a very similar fashion to the way Port did.

Speaking of... I'm looking for an NHL team to follow.

Speaking of... I'm looking for an NHL team to follow.

Well normally I'd suggest following a team from a city that you already follow, but I see you're a Phoenix Suns fan and the 'yotes are horrible so I won't suggest that. You could go for the San Jose Sharks, they have a good team and wear black, white and teal, but Stanley_Park might give you s**t for following a plastic franchise. If that's a problem for you then all I can suggest is choosing an original six team, which is one of Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, NY Rangers, Detroit or Boston. The best out of that group is Chicago by far, plus Hammer goes for them so...

Blackhawks fan checking in.

Chicago have the coolest jerseys but I mainly picked them because of Wayne's World. They are also a very good team at the moment so great time to jump on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back