whatsthisfooty

Debutant
Apr 19, 2014
Colorado, USA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Colorado Rockies
And we have quite a few fans of US sports here so tell us about your favourite teams.

Thanks FF, Not really sure where to do this kind of thing, I don't want to ruffle any feathers by posting something in the wrong place. Basically I'm a Baseball and NFL fan. My Baseball team is the Colorado Rockies. Homestate team, started in 1993 from scratch, not moved in from somewhere else. We reached the post-season in 1995, lost in the World Series 2007. Other than that we've been decidedly mediocre throughout our existence, but they're my team, so I love 'em. I've got season tickets to their local Minor League team, the GJ Rockies, a developmental summer-league team who plays mid June - end of July. Going to the ballgame on a Summer's eve is one of my great loves.
Speaking NFL, I'm a Packer fan but will cheer for any member of the old "Black and Blue" Division...Green Bay, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota depending on their opponent. I love the olde-tyme, "tough guy" linebackers and linemen, Nitchke, Butkus, Lambert, Deacon Jones, Merlin Olson etc.
That's all I can think of right now, thanks for reading.

OY! I get 2 Footy matches tonight Suns v Giants and Melbourne v Sydney later! I'll have to tape the Melbourne v Sydney match. I'll never make 3:30 AM as a start time, but that will give me something to watch on the morrow. HOORAY!

Thanks FF, Not really sure where to do this kind of thing, I don't want to ruffle any feathers by posting something in the wrong place. Basically I'm a Baseball and NFL fan. My Baseball team is the Colorado Rockies. Homestate team, started in 1993 from scratch, not moved in from somewhere else. We reached the post-season in 1995, lost in the World Series 2007. Other than that we've been decidedly mediocre throughout our existence, but they're my team, so I love 'em. I've got season tickets to their local Minor League team, the GJ Rockies, a developmental summer-league team who plays mid June - end of July. Going to the ballgame on a Summer's eve is one of my great loves.
Speaking NFL, I'm a Packer fan but will cheer for any member of the old "Black and Blue" Division...Green Bay, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota depending on their opponent. I love the olde-tyme, "tough guy" linebackers and linemen, Nitchke, Butkus, Lambert, Deacon Jones, Merlin Olson etc.
That's all I can think of right now, thanks for reading.

big nfl fan here, lets not talk about the 37-36 farce from last season, big cowboys fan. if any team can find a new way to lose the unlosable game its the cowboys. bloody frustrating the way they bow out every season, already know how next season will go, dallas v washington final round, need to win to win the division, lose and its season over, well, im predicting a three point loss with a last minute touchdown after a crazy turnover, geez havent seen that before the last few years....
im more a fan of the running back, emmitt smith is my all time favourite, demarco murray is probably my favourite player now. just the guys who work hard and fight hard for the tough yards.

big nfl fan here, lets not talk about the 37-36 farce from last season, big cowboys fan. if any team can find a new way to lose the unlosable game its the cowboys. bloody frustrating the way they bow out every season, already know how next season will go, dallas v washington final round, need to win to win the division, lose and its season over, well, im predicting a three point loss with a last minute touchdown after a crazy turnover, geez havent seen that before the last few years....
im more a fan of the running back, emmitt smith is my all time favourite, demarco murray is probably my favourite player now. just the guys who work hard and fight hard for the tough yards.

You ARE a cowboy fan aren't you!? Emmitt Smith was flippin' amazing, my all-time favorite in the RB department was Barry Sanders, man that guy could move. No telling what might've been for him if he'd had a team around him.

You ARE a cowboy fan aren't you!? Emmitt Smith was flippin' amazing, my all-time favorite in the RB department was Barry Sanders, man that guy could move. No telling what might've been for him if he'd had a team around him.

yeah emmitt is probably the reason why i started supporting the cowboys, just loved watching him play, sanders was very similar, probably was going to break emmitts record before he prematurely retired. back when i started watching here there was a monday night highlights show hosted by don lane, it was awesome, really anyone 35 years or older that likes the nfl here will remember that show. now days the coverage here is awesome, pay tv shows at least three sunday / sunday night games, every monday night game, the thursday night games, the thanksgiving triple header, pretty much any time a game is on they will cover it. free to air tv has been showing three games a week too the last couple of seasons, the game is getting bigger all the time here. we even have our own league here with 5 teams that play over summer.

yeah emmitt is probably the reason why i started supporting the cowboys, just loved watching him play, sanders was very similar, probably was going to break emmitts record before he prematurely retired. back when i started watching here there was a monday night highlights show hosted by don lane, it was awesome, really anyone 35 years or older that likes the nfl here will remember that show. now days the coverage here is awesome, pay tv shows at least three sunday / sunday night games, every monday night game, the thursday night games, the thanksgiving triple header, pretty much any time a game is on they will cover it. free to air tv has been showing three games a week too the last couple of seasons, the game is getting bigger all the time here. we even have our own league here with 5 teams that play over summer.

You get all that NFL! That's great to hear!

Poor soul... ;)

I'm a Steelers fan (tbh don't follow the game all that closely any more) from way back in the 1970s when all we saw of NFL in Australia was the Superbowl final. So the Steelers sort of were imprinted on me back then. My earliest memories are of Mean Joe Greene and the famous Steelers defensive line of Greene, L C Greenwood, Ernie Holmes and Dwight White.

I recently read that Greene is the last living member of the famed quartet. That's scary, they all died so young.

Welcome whatsthisfooty. Good to see you taking an interest in our game. It will be interesting to hear what you like about it. I hope you stay the distance because Port is on the rise. I've followed NFL since early 80s and took a huge liking to Oakland, I just like their tough history and how they're hated by the league, it just seems fitting when you're a Port supporter, plus they wear black!

I'm a Steelers fan (tbh don't follow the game all that closely any more) from way back in the 1970s when all we saw of NFL in Australia was the Superbowl final. So the Steelers sort of were imprinted on me back then. My earliest memories are of Mean Joe Greene and the famous Steelers defensive line of Greene, L C Greenwood, Ernie Holmes and Dwight White.

I recently read that Greene is the last living member of the famed quartet. That's scary, they all died so young.

Oh man, "The Steel Curtain", I loved those guys! Monsters all of them. I think L.C. just died last year sometime so you're most likely correct about Mean Joe being the last of them. Jack Lambert had one of the scariest visages of all time and Ham was just unbelievably effective. I miss those powerhouse defensive squads...and the running game. Todays game has gone a little weenie to me with all the passing up and down the field. This is interesting to me because the thing that annoys me about the NFL is the thing that I enjoy about the AFL and Port Adelaide in particular. Before I saw the Power moving the ball down the oval with kicks and marks, I never imagined one could punt the ball so consistently accurately. That's the reason I chose Port as my team. It's easy to imagine completion after completion in the NFL, heck, it happens every week to the point it's become boring to me. But this sport of yours, it takes some skill to hit someone on the run with a kicked ball. Well done, indeed!

Thank you also to whoever put this in the correct spot. One of these days I'll get a grip on the lay of the board and not need such 'shepherding'.

Welcome whatsthisfooty. Good to see you taking an interest in our game. It will be interesting to hear what you like about it. I hope you stay the distance because Port is on the rise. I've followed NFL since early 80s and took a huge liking to Oakland, I just like their tough history and how they're hated by the league, it just seems fitting when you're a Port supporter, plus they wear black!

So, are Port the "Bad Boys" of the AFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I enjoy watching the America's Game special on the Superbowl winners, some great insights among the coaches and players of the teams.

I'm glad you started watching Port recently because our kicking accuracy in the couple of years before our new coach Ken Hinkley arrived would have horrified you as much as it did us!

Casual Vikings fan here... My interest in NFL has waned as I just dont have the time to watch it seriously these days.

Big NBA (Phoenix Suns) fan though.

Hi Zakk, one needn't take something seriously to enjoy it now now and then. :thumbsu:

Ahhh, the Purple People Eaters, Marshall, Eller, Larsen and Page. Pretty formidable themselves!

punting is the one thing we are really good at. you mentioned our kicking skills, well its something we all do here pretty much as we come out of the womb. a few have made it in the nfl, bennett, graham, rocca and mcbriar. but i can see more aussies (especially ex afl players) making it to the nfl as time goes by.

punting is the one thing we are really good at. you mentioned our kicking skills, well its something we all do here pretty much as we come out of the womb. a few have made it in the nfl, bennett, graham, rocca and mcbriar. but i can see more aussies (especially ex afl players) making it to the nfl as time goes by.

This has nothing to do with punting, but your mention of the NFL Aussies reminded me that we had one of your boys (Australian not Adelaidean) play baseball with our Rockies minor league affiliate here in town last year. His name is Robbie Perkins and he's a catcher. I don't know if he'll be back this year, most of the guys advance or get let go and we have a nearly brand new squad every year.

Big NFL and NBA fan. Dallas Cowboys and Houston Rockets fan. Got into both teams in the early 90's when American sports went big for a while. Broadband and gamepass/illegal streams have got me back into again the past 5 or 6 years.

There is an NFL board on Bigfooty which has a bunch of very knowledgeable posters around. Feel free to check it out, especially around August/September when the season starts to kick off.

Didn't mind the Avs in the Ice Hockey by playing NHL on the Snes/Xbox and the like. Never been able to really get into though. Keep an eye out and I see they are the playoffs this year. Mind have to check them out again. For some reason I remember liking the Toronto Blue Jays in baseball but I find the sport unwatchable these days.

...I remember liking the Toronto Blue Jays in baseball but I find the sport unwatchable these days.

I think the reason that many folks find baseball difficult to watch these days is that they try to watch it as a sport (no offense baseball fans, I'm one of you:)). Baseball is little bits of action, sometimes amazing, unbelievable action, but little bits nonetheless, punctuated by cloud pictures, food smells, goofy contests, crisp nostalgic sounds: the thwap of a pitched ball being caught, the crack of the bat, metal cleats on concrete, spitting and scratching and belching and grabarse with ones mates. It's a pastime. That's why it's no good on TV, it needs the extra diversions. Baseball is an in-person game or a radio game, because then one can still lay on the grass and make cloud pictures in the sky while one listens...and sniff the barbecue at the neighbors down the street...and scratch.

I think the reason that many folks find baseball difficult to watch these days is that they try to watch it as a sport (no offense baseball fans, I'm one of you:)). Baseball is little bits of action, sometimes amazing, unbelievable action, but little bits nonetheless, punctuated by cloud pictures, food smells, goofy contests, crisp nostalgic sounds: the thwap of a pitched ball being caught, the crack of the bat, metal cleats on concrete, spitting and scratching and belching and grabarse with ones mates. It's a pastime. That's why it's no good on TV, it needs the extra diversions. Baseball is an in-person game or a radio game, because then one can still lay on the grass and make cloud pictures in the sky while one listens...and sniff the barbecue at the neighbors down the street...and scratch.

I'm a massive cricket fan and sit through 5 days of a "Test Match".... Baseball I cannot do though.

Ever tried watching cricket ??

Yes...it did not go well for me.

Like you said re: baseball... Little bits of action throughout the match. But you can build an innings and bat/bowl for long periods. Really testing mental strength/concentration as well as physical. Then there's the always changing match conditions as the pitch deteriorates as well as different condition characteristics all over the world.

But its not for everyone... :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back