UNDER 19'S

Remove this Banner Ad

Under 19's or 18's? Certainly they stuffed up the div 1 under 16's. Doutta stars Div 1 side should of been playing it Div 3.
yours is not the only junior side to suffer this i think all clubs have at least one junior side playing in a division or two above where they should be and this is common across all leagues. But clubs don't help this situation either by tanking sides in the grading games to play in lower grades to get premierships. This practice does happen

Under 19's or 18's? Certainly they stuffed up the div 1 under 16's. Doutta stars Div 1 side should of been playing it Div 3.

Douttas have strong junior numbers and their seniors and 18.5s play premier league. Without looking into this with much info I would have expected Douttas 16s to be playing in div1 and taking on the challenge.. However I must point out I haven't researched this fully.

I'm guessing we will be told to go back to our EDFL thread.. Lol

yours is not the only junior side to suffer this i think all clubs have at least one junior side playing in a division or two above where they should be and this is common across all leagues. But clubs don't help this situation either by tanking sides in the grading games to play in lower grades to get premierships. This practice does happen
Season stats were 129 points for and 1361 against over 14 games. They came 8th, even the 7th placed team beat them by 60 odd points.

Douttas have strong junior numbers and their seniors and 18.5s play premier league. Without looking into this with much info I would have expected Douttas 16s to be playing in div1 and taking on the challenge.. However I must point out I haven't researched this fully.

I'm guessing we will be told to go back to our EDFL thread.. Lol
Season stats were 129 points for and 1361 against over 14 games. They came 8th, even the 7th placed team beat them by 60 odd points.

The under 19s is a shambles sanctuary lakes pulling out of the comp and the one sided results is ridiculous. What happened to deer park?! How can they go from winning a flag to not having a team at all?

The under 19s is a shambles sanctuary lakes pulling out of the comp and the one sided results is ridiculous. What happened to deer park?! How can they go from winning a flag to not having a team at all?
Decided to stop paying 19 year olds

I am still a fan of the Under 19's, I just wonder where they have all disappeared to? Surely a region as big as the WRFL, has more than 250, 18 and 19 year olds that are keen to have a run in footy?
EDFL have the same issue. There are about 7 clubs without a 19's side. One club pulled out once the season started due to lack of numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe it's just an anomaly, but dropping from 17 teams to 11 is a big loss in 1 year. If anything moving from U18 to U19 should have helped to keep a large number of kids involved who weren't ready to make the step to Senior footy, but it seems the reverse has happened?

You could be right Trucka, it is rarely ever just one or two reasons, but a combination of a few. Your reasons would have had some impact for sure. I also feel that maybe they have been thrown in the too hard basket a bit as well.

What are Clubs in the area doing to bring this age group back? Are there things that the successful clubs have been doing that has kept the kids coming back to them? It surely isn't just "Culture", although I will say that a good culture obviously helps. Thoughts.
I think that clubs should be restricted to the number of teams they can have in a division. No more than two. If a club has the numbers for three teams then the league may have to step in and say if you live in a particular post code you have to play for a certain club. If the club cannot then field a team then you can go to another club. Just a thought.

I think that clubs should be restricted to the number of teams they can have in a division. No more than two. If a club has the numbers for three teams then the league may have to step in and say if you live in a particular post code you have to play for a certain club. If the club cannot then field a team then you can go to another club. Just a thought.

Are you talking U19s or any junior grade?

EDFL have the same issue. There are about 7 clubs without a 19's side. One club pulled out once the season started due to lack of numbers.

Hey New, in the EDFL I'm not sure the newly created 3rds senior comp has helped. Less committed kids playing 3rds, and the overflow from some big clubs playing 3rds rather than move to other clubs and play 19s. Just a small observation.
With regards to wrfl the under 19s comp has been low on numbers for some years now. Not quite sure why but take a look at the players at TAC cup level, Calder Cannons v Western Jets. Over the years Calder has smashed Jets and had more players drafted. Know of players who have changed address just to play for the Calder Cannons.

Shouldn't be any 19's getting paid anyway. If you want to get paid, play Seniors.
Boys playing U18's rugby league in Sydney were being paid way back in the late 70's and that includes regional teams not just the NRL clubs. They could do this as they usually had a licenced leagues club that had poker machines. Besides, aren't U19's considered seniors?

Hey New, in the EDFL I'm not sure the newly created 3rds senior comp has helped. Less committed kids playing 3rds, and the overflow from some big clubs playing 3rds rather than move to other clubs and play 19s. Just a small observation.
With regards to wrfl the under 19s comp has been low on numbers for some years now. Not quite sure why but take a look at the players at TAC cup level, Calder Cannons v Western Jets. Over the years Calder has smashed Jets and had more players drafted. Know of players who have changed address just to play for the Calder Cannons.
Hi Turbo, fancy seeing you here. I agree, look at Greenvale for instance, on top of each division they are playing in, seniors, reserves and Div 3, but don't have enough numbers for an U19.5 side. Most of the Div 3 sides are full of guys in their late 20's to late 30's or in some cases 40's. Whereas some other clubs have U19's playing so the older boys don't have the leg speed to catch them. No matter the league, they are all having issues with keeping boys. Except usually the big established clubs.

So parents should have to drive 20-30mins extra each way to other clubs a few nights a week so little billy can get a game of footy?
If you want an even spread of teams and just not one or two clubs playing finals all the time, maybe. I T actually don't think that any one suggestion will work. The leagues need to get together with the AFL and come up with a solution. Another way to look at it is for a number of clubs to merge

Any junior grade

So you force a child to play at a club that they don't want or a club that doesn't have a good reputation for juniors and is only worried about how much the juniors can make so they can buy big recruits for their seniors.

Might as will give each club boundaries like they have at primary schools and you can only play for the club you are aligned too. At least it would stop players transferring to 'so called' big clubs and stop certain coaches at interleague recruiting for their own clubs.

If you want an even spread of teams and just not one or two clubs playing finals all the time, maybe. I T actually don't think that any one suggestion will work. The leagues need to get together with the AFL and come up with a solution. Another way to look at it is for a number of clubs to merge

Simple solution to stop same teams dominating, get rid of the year by year age group and make it U12, U14, U16 & U18. You will then see a better spread of teams playing finals and not the same ones each year. Only problem is the WRFL are too lazy to spend time working out the grading. Simple really, check what was happening 2 years previous

Last edited:
Simple solution to stop same teams dominating, get rid of the year by year age group and make it U12, U14, U16 & U18. You will then see a better spread of teams playing finals and not the same ones each year. Only problem is the WRFL are too lazy to spend time working out the grading. Simple really, check what was happening 2 years previous
That will not always work. The EDFL had those age groups up until this season and the same clubs dominated. The clubs that win the majority of flags keep on attracting the better players from other clubs and leagues. They changed to U19 but as a number of clubs couldn't field teams they put it to U19.5. Clubs still couldn't field teams.

So you force a child to play at a club that they don't want or a club that doesn't have a good reputation for juniors and is only worried about how much the juniors can make so they can buy big recruits for their seniors.

Might as will give each club boundaries like they have at primary schools and you can only play for the club you are aligned too. At least it would stop players transferring to 'so called' big clubs and stop certain coaches at interleague recruiting for their own clubs.
I didn't say the idea was perfect but in essence yes. What you do is restrict a club to a set number of kids so it is first in best dressed. If the get a maximum of 50 kids that is two teams. 18 on field and allow 7 on the bench. If coaches are recruiting for their own clubs the club needs to be fined. If a player goes because he has some mates at another club you cant stop that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back