Yarraville Seddon
Spotswood

DIV 2

Newport
Albion
Werribee Districts
Sanctuary Lakes
Wyndhamvale

There seems a real lack of Under 19 teams in the WRFL. Is this just the age group, or is there just not enough work being done by the Clubs and the WRFL to ensure that this age group remains viable? Less than half of the Senior clubs have a team, surely this is not ideal for the longevity of a Club?

Last edited:
DIV 1

Werribee Districts
Deer Park
Hoppers Crossing
Altona
Yarraville Seddon
Spotswood

DIV 2

Newport
Albion
Werribee Districts
Sanctuary Lakes
Wyndhamvale

There seems a real lack of Under 19 teams in the WRFL. Is this just the age group, or is there just not enough work being done by the Clubs and the WRFL to ensure that this age group remains viable? Less than half of the Senior clubs have a team, surely this is not ideal for the longevity of a Club?

Maybe that age group should be filtered into senior footy. There are plenty of Div 2 & 3 clubs that would benefit from an influx of approx 250 kids into the senior system

Maybe that age group should be filtered into senior footy. There are plenty of Div 2 & 3 clubs that would benefit from an influx of approx 250 kids into the senior system

I am still a fan of the Under 19's, I just wonder where they have all disappeared to? Surely a region as big as the WRFL, has more than 250, 18 and 19 year olds that are keen to have a run in footy?

I am still a fan of the Under 19's, I just wonder where they have all disappeared to? Surely a region as big as the WRFL, has more than 250, 18 and 19 year olds that are keen to have a run in footy?

I think the issues are the level's below.. There is only 18 clubs who have U17's and most of them are bottom age. Having your premier Junior Division, 17A, with only 5 teams is a disgrace. This grade should have 10 teams. So what of the top 5 are miles above the the other 5, at least the other 5 will be competitive when they play each other and it will improve their skills playing at that level.

I also feel that they are loosing players in the lower levels because of the policy of consecutive age groups. It means the same teams are playing off in the GF each year and kids are getting frustrated. Go back to the U11, 13, 15 & 17 age groups.

Maybe it's just an anomaly, but dropping from 17 teams to 11 is a big loss in 1 year. If anything moving from U18 to U19 should have helped to keep a large number of kids involved who weren't ready to make the step to Senior footy, but it seems the reverse has happened?

I think the issues are the level's below.. There is only 18 clubs who have U17's and most of them are bottom age. Having your premier Junior Division, 17A, with only 5 teams is a disgrace. This grade should have 10 teams. So what of the top 5 are miles above the the other 5, at least the other 5 will be competitive when they play each other and it will improve their skills playing at that level.

I also feel that they are loosing players in the lower levels because of the policy of consecutive age groups. It means the same teams are playing off in the GF each year and kids are getting frustrated. Go back to the U11, 13, 15 & 17 age groups.

You could be right Trucka, it is rarely ever just one or two reasons, but a combination of a few. Your reasons would have had some impact for sure. I also feel that maybe they have been thrown in the too hard basket a bit as well.

What are Clubs in the area doing to bring this age group back? Are there things that the successful clubs have been doing that has kept the kids coming back to them? It surely isn't just "Culture", although I will say that a good culture obviously helps. Thoughts.

Maybe it's just an anomaly, but dropping from 17 teams to 11 is a big loss in 1 year. If anything moving from U18 to U19 should have helped to keep a large number of kids involved who weren't ready to make the step to Senior footy, but it seems the reverse has happened?

You could be right Trucka, it is rarely ever just one or two reasons, but a combination of a few. Your reasons would have had some impact for sure. I also feel that maybe they have been thrown in the too hard basket a bit as well.

What are Clubs in the area doing to bring this age group back? Are there things that the successful clubs have been doing that has kept the kids coming back to them? It surely isn't just "Culture", although I will say that a good culture obviously helps. Thoughts.

You will find at this age level, U18/19, it is only the better players that will continue and take their footy seriously. They are the ones that want to play at the best level they can and when there is only 5 teams in your Premier U17 comp then these are the teams they will go to. The other U17 teams are made up of kids who just want to have fun and play with mates, U18/19 is more serious than this so they tens not to continue.

You will find at this age level, U18/19, it is only the better players that will continue and take their footy seriously. They are the ones that want to play at the best level they can and when there is only 5 teams in your Premier U17 comp then these are the teams they will go to. The other U17 teams are made up of kids who just want to have fun and play with mates, U18/19 is more serious than this so they tens not to continue.
You will find there will be a few more u/19 teams this season with North Footscray Caroline Springs Sunshine Newport (2nd team) Wyndham Suns St Albans and Albanvale

You will find there will be a few more u/19 teams this season with North Footscray Caroline Springs Sunshine Newport (2nd team) Wyndham Suns St Albans and Albanvale

If that's how it works out, 7 new sides into the comp, and none disappear, then that is fantastic news for the competition as a whole.

If these sides come in, what are the likely splits going to look like, between Div 1 and Div 2? Will the Clubs in Div 1 attempt to have their 19's play Div 1 also?

The area is garbage for football. Explains the lack of Juniors (Werribee area aside).

It's only garbage if people allow it to be. The 19's and lower age groups can all be the strongest in Vic Metro, it just needs a fair bit of work. Other areas have gone through the same thing, but we need greater numbers staying in footy, and more adventurous administrators that are prepared to do what it takes to make that happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If these sides come in, what are the likely splits going to look like, between Div 1 and Div 2? Will the Clubs in Div 1 attempt to have their 19's play Div 1 also?

Div 1
Werribee Districts
Hoppers Crossing
Altona
St Albans
Newport Power
Spotswood
Deer Park
Yarraville/Seddon

Div 2
Werribee Districts (2)
Sanctuary Lakes
North Footscray
Caroline Springs
Wyndhamvale
Newport Power (2)
Albion
Sunshine
Albanvale
Nth Sunshine
Wyndham Suns
Could be 19 teams

Last edited:
Div 1
Werribee Districts
Hoppers Crossing
Altona
St Albans
Newport Power
Spotswood
Deer Park
Yarraville/Seddon

Div 2
Werribee Districts (2)
Sanctuary Lakes
North Footscray
Caroline Springs
Wyndhamvale
Newport Power (2)
Albion
Sunshine
Albanvale
Nth Sunshine

Could be 18 teams[/QUOTE

Would it be graded, or just alignment with Seniors?

EDFL sides all have their seniors, reserves and U19's playing in the same division. Its only the junior sides that play round robin games to determine their rightful division in which they play. In saying that, the EDFL still stuff it up some times. There are some clubs that just don't to play in a higher grade because they think they will have a better chance in winning a flag in the lower grade.

Heard Werribee Dists will field only 1 U19 side this season (has been 2 since they returned from the VAFA). Realistically, would only expect a couple of additional U19 teams this year - Caroline Springs and St.Albans (?) and a net gain of 1.

EDFL sides all have their seniors, reserves and U19's playing in the same division. Its only the junior sides that play round robin games to determine their rightful division in which they play. In saying that, the EDFL still stuff it up some times. There are some clubs that just don't to play in a higher grade because they think they will have a better chance in winning a flag in the lower grade.

And it's a big reason why a lot of kids are lost to the system for the weaker clubs. Look at some of the results in the EDFL Premier Under 19's last year, very large gap between the top 4 and the rest.

This is not just an WRFL problem its right across all leagues, it seems to be starting from about under 15's for a multitude of reasons that player stop playing. The people in charge need to get their collective heads out of the sand as its starting to also affect the numbers available each week for the seconds as well as player numbers continue to drop just my opinion

This is not just an WRFL problem its right across all leagues, it seems to be starting from about under 15's for a multitude of reasons that player stop playing. The people in charge need to get their collective heads out of the sand as its starting to also affect the numbers available each week for the seconds as well as player numbers continue to drop just my opinion
I tend to agree Mate, but the future of the game is at stake if we continue to allow other sports to waltz in and grab the youth, and we can't afford to stand by and watch it happen. It's not just up to the Leagues though in my opinion, I feel it also relies on the Governments, Clubs, Parents etc to ensure we are working together to keep the kids playing. There are so many different sporting options and non-sporting options, that we have to be able to provide an option that surpasses all the others, but at this point, that obviously isn't the case.

I tend to agree Mate, but the future of the game is at stake if we continue to allow other sports to waltz in and grab the youth, and we can't afford to stand by and watch it happen. It's not just up to the Leagues though in my opinion, I feel it also relies on the Governments, Clubs, Parents etc to ensure we are working together to keep the kids playing. There are so many different sporting options and non-sporting options, that we have to be able to provide an option that surpasses all the others, but at this point, that obviously isn't the case.

I could not agree with you any more I have been involved at that level in a few different leagues you only have to go the league web pages and look at the fixtures to see the amount of teams that don't have under 18/19's. I think all leagues need to look at may be playing the under's on a Friday night as I think the early starts on Saturday mornings puts a lot off. If the games starts at 7.00 pm its finished early and they can then go out afterwards

I could not agree with you any more I have been involved at that level in a few different leagues you only have to go the league web pages and look at the fixtures to see the amount of teams that don't have under 18/19's. I think all leagues need to look at may be playing the under's on a Friday night as I think the early starts on Saturday mornings puts a lot off. If the games starts at 7.00 pm its finished early and they can then go out afterwards

Great idea for u/19s. Also consider playing double headers on grounds such as Werribee, Whitten Oval, Williamstown, Albion, Yarriville etc could be a good idea but then we will encounter issues with the surface I guess, as well as volunteers who would usually be at junior games Friday night. But I like the concept..

Great idea for u/19s. Also consider playing double headers on grounds such as Werribee, Whitten Oval, Williamstown, Albion, Yarriville etc could be a good idea but then we will encounter issues with the surface I guess, as well as volunteers who would usually be at junior games Friday night. But I like the concept..

If the junior clubs are around Friday night then get them involved that's a win win for the home club for canteen and bar sales also the under's get to play in front of a good crowd finish in time to go out and party

A lot of the Queensland Regional centres play Colts footy on a Friday night under lights, double headers or even triple headers. It has a great retention rate, all sides field teams, and there is generally good numbers throughout the season. The better ones can then back up on Saturday and play Seniors as well, or Reserves if they are helping maintain the numbers, and there is less burnout because at least there has been some rest. The clubs rotate canteens and it's found to be easier on the volunteers. Food for thought.

And it's a big reason why a lot of kids are lost to the system for the weaker clubs. Look at some of the results in the EDFL Premier Under 19's last year, very large gap between the top 4 and the rest.
Under 19's or 18's? Certainly they stuffed up the div 1 under 16's. Doutta stars Div 1 side should of been playing it Div 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back