Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

I, also have been disappointed in the umpiring so far this year.

Not enough to complain about. Seriously I believe that the four umpires is a winner, haven't seen them get in each others way.

Don't agree with every decision but overall the game seems to he flowing well.
the freo north game was very poor, real home ground advantage apart from that pretty controversial missed one at the end

What's "really poor" mean?
there were a lot of free kicks that seemed dubious in favour of freo. it's subjective to my interpretation but it's not a difficult concept. here's a pretty interesting article from the Australian Psychological Society: The home-ground advantage | APS

I think broadly the four umpires have worked well so far and the rules have been generally been evenly and consistently adjudged across most of the games I've seen, more so than what i remember.

After watching lots of games the last few weeks, what really frustrates me about the umpiring is, the not paying of free kicks when players without a man are blocking the inbound kick, I’m watching the Dons v Cats now and players are running past a player after a mark with no opponent in sight, they are blocking the switch.

The umpire dissent rule, where has it gone? I’m seeing dissent every game and I can’t remember the last time I saw a 50 paid.

Umpiring decisions are frustrating and I’m sure the Port supporters at home would be saying the same thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the 4 umpire system has positive & negative aspects.

4 different sets of eyes is good for an overall view of the state of play, but as our game is so subjective to interpretation (as posted above), that it means decisions appear or can be inconsistent.

Dissent, running from behind to take the mark, both flavours of the month. Putting the man behind the mark before play on, non existent. Any more umpires and they will be carrying little yellow flags in their pockets. woe betide that we ever get ‘bunker’ rulings for on field actions.

In typical 'umpiring to the rule of the week' - the man being close to the man on the mark rule has disappeared. This includes the full zone area..
As expected umpires totally ignoring this rule, due to other instructed focus items. FMD they are the most regulated individuals on specific rules per week/month ever. NFI.

One day when I can be bothered, I'll list everything umpires have to be aware of during a game. I expect a fully detailed one to be pages long. The amount of people who just think it's about free kicks explains a lot of the content in this thread. NFI.

You mean doing their job?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Exactly. Posters like yourself and a myriad of others on ignore have very little idea of what it entails.

Most do their job well, others are inept sometimes whilst others are inept more often than not.

Like players, they range from extremely good to very poor.

Scrutiny is there for all participants, not sure what the issue is. Players are turned over because they’re not up to it, umpires shouldn’t be any different.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Umpiring is a swings and roundabouts thing to me, they miss a few and get a few wrong. Yesterday I saw Charlie had a fair old handful of Allir's jumper, the ball spilled, we crumbed and kicked a goal when it was a clear free kick to PA. Having said that, when you consider the speed of the game, the congestion they need to see through, the rules they need to work with and the spit second they have to make a decision, I think they do a good job overall, howlers are few and far between...thankfully.

Last edited:
Exactly. Posters like yourself and a myriad of others on ignore have very little idea of what it entails.

I don’t get your position.
The way I see it, Carlton players very rarely get rewarded free kicks and when opposition players get them there is almost always nothing in it.
It has been this way since I started watching footy! And probably was happening when you started watching footy in the 1800’s.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back