FTA-TV Uk cop shows - shadow line, top boy and more

Remove this Banner Ad

'The Sixth Commandment' has received great reviews and begins this Thursday August-24 on BBC First:

I watched it. I didn't enjoy it really. There was good acting to be sure, but it wasn't put together very well. It just didn't have any tension from any aspect. We know who did it early on. There wasn't much drama built into making the case. I felt it was mostly just a sad news report.

Haven't been on this thread for ages! I'd echo the praise for Steeltown Murders; I thought it was excellent. The weird thing is, it's based on a true story, but I don't recall it all. Maybe it wasn't such a big story in the UK media because it was in Wales? Or maybe it's my lousy memory? :)

I smashed through Steeltown Murders today. They drag it out a bit but overall it was a good watch. If it wasn't based on a true story they would have probably given it a different ending. As usual with British TV shows they inserted an ethnic character in a mixed race marriage which added nothing to the plot.

Just finished the Long Shadow.
It was luck and stupidity that the guy was caught. It just proves how valuable modern technology, DNA analysis, and video surveillance are in crime solving.
The show paid a lot of respect to the victims and their families. The list of suspected victims at the end of the last episode is confronting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was luck and stupidity that the guy was caught. It just proves how valuable modern technology, DNA analysis, and video surveillance are in crime solving.
The show paid a lot of respect to the victims and their families. The list of suspected victims at the end of the last episode is confronting.
I’ve watched a few doco’s on this but never a drama…it’s in the queue though.

there’s a 4 part Jimmy Savile drama on BBC called The Reckoning with Steve Coogan as the lead. I’m curious but not sure if I have the stomach for it. even typing his name makes me sick. I’m just gonna end up getting angry and throwing s**t at the telly.
…especially considering the BBC helped to cover up his actions for so long.

I’ve watched a few doco’s on this but never a drama…it’s in the queue though.

there’s a 4 part Jimmy Savile drama on BBC called The Reckoning with Steve Coogan as the lead. I’m curious but not sure if I have the stomach for it. even typing his name makes me sick. I’m just gonna end up getting angry and throwing s**t at the telly.
…especially considering the BBC helped to cover up his actions for so long.

John Lydon, aka Johnny Rotten, was one of the first to publicly call out Saville which led to Lydon being banned from the BBC. Plenty of youtube stuff about that. Saville was protected by the high and mighty. Parallels can be drawn in Victoria about the protection offered to the pedos Whitehead and Hutchins of Puffing Billy fame. But that's another story.
Personally, I believe Saville should rot forever and nothing should be made of him, good or bad.

I know the story from documentaries and reading. I've watched the first couple of episodes and they were just ok. I might skip to the last episode. What do you think?

I know the story from documentaries and reading. I've watched the first couple of episodes and they were just ok. I might skip to the last episode. What do you think?
Understand your feel for it. Watch the last two. Shows up the police incompetence and the impact on families and victims.

Shout out to the mentions of Blue Lights a few pages back. Well worth a watch, neatly written, directed and well acted. I am a sucker for shows set in Ireland. Great to have a show without the ubiquitous Nesbitt

On a bit of a nostalgia binge and have been re-watching The Tunnel. Just a fine series, as was Danish/Swedish series The Bridge but slightly less so the American version.

So rare to have three different productions with the first series of each sharing a similar.story line. The depiction of the main woman detective (who has Asperger’s) in each of the three is interesting in itself. I am enjoying Clemence Poesy’s version almost as much as the stand out performance of Sofia Helin in the original scandi noir version.

The influence of scandi noir on English cop shows has been a boon to quality.

You can't go wrong with old skool so I highly recommend The Wire.

While West, Elba & Gillen are British, 'The Wire' is a very American show. This thread is for UK shows.

I'm a couple of eps into The Woman in the Wall.
Slightly off centre but holding up well. These Irish series are becoming more and more appealing.
Anyone else here seen it?

Shout out to the mentions of Blue Lights a few pages back. Well worth a watch, neatly written, directed and well acted. I am a sucker for shows set in Ireland. Great to have a show without the ubiquitous Nesbitt

On a bit of a nostalgia binge and have been re-watching The Tunnel. Just a fine series, as was Danish/Swedish series The Bridge but slightly less so the American version.

So rare to have three different productions with the first series of each sharing a similar.story line. The depiction of the main woman detective (who has Asperger’s) in each of the three is interesting in itself. I am enjoying Clemence Poesy’s version almost as much as the stand out performance of Sofia Helin in the original scandi noir version.

The influence of scandi noir on English cop shows has been a boon to quality.
Yes it was good. I went through a period where I watched quite a few Scando-crime shows. They do it pretty well, especially compared to explosions and gunplay of US ones.

I'm a couple of eps into The Woman in the Wall.
Slightly off centre but holding up well. These Irish series are becoming more and more appealing.
Anyone else here seen it?
Looks interesting and Wilson is always watchable.

Will have to keep an eye out where it lands in Aus though as it is currently unavailable on any legal platform!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back