MMA-UFC UFC 290

Remove this Banner Ad

That finish was so ******* savage. The huge hook, pushed him back against the cage. Big body shot, big uppercut and then a power take down and ground and pound. What a machine
Takedown was so textbook too. He's too good.

Great card from top to bottom. Volk's performance was brilliant, as you'd expect nothing less. Always comes prepared, always looks sharp. Executed the wrestling game plan perfectly and you could tell Yair just wanted out of there by the end. Cements his position as P4P #1.

Really sad to see Whittaker go down like that. Initially I thought he was looking pretty good. Landing some decent combos, but nothing seemed to really sting DPP. Surprising to see Rob get dropped by a fairly innocuous jab. Ever since the Yoel wars, I feel like his jaw is always a little susceptible (has been dropped by Till, Cannonier, Izzy etc.), but usually he's able to battle through and wear down his opponents with volume and cardio.

It's probably good for the overall division to have some fresh blood go at the title. DPP vs Izzy will have a lot of hype and sell tickets, but I reckon Izzy will make him look pretty second rate - particularly off a short 9 week spell. Izzy will be able to keep him at range more effectively and counter with a lot more power than Rob.

If it’s Islam v Charles 2
Volk should fight winner of Dustin/Justin for the “bmf belt” lol.
Charles won't be ready in time for the Abu Dhabi card I thought I read

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

What a beast Volk is. Yair looked a little hesitant early, no doubt anticipating the take down and as soon as he got comfortable he got cracked and finished. I don't see the point of Alex staying at 145 now, there really is nothing left for him to accomplish there. Put on some good weight and go cement your legacy at 155.

I was very wrong about the co main event. I thought with Pantoja's walk them down style that he would either walk on to something and get stopped or just get outclassed and lose a wide decision. I was very confident after round two that the latter would occur, but Pantoja kept coming and controll ed the majority of the ground exchanges. I get the feeling we'll see a 4th fight between them before too long as Moreno still seems a class above the rest of the weight class at the moment.

Shattered for Rob, but what a performance by Du Plessis! He looked all at sea early on and I thought Rob was going to coast to a decision, but from about half way through the first he looked ominous. The takedown off a headlock was surprising... I can't remember the last time I saw that work in men's MMA! It was hugely effective though as Rob seemed a bit disoriented at the end of the round and didn't last too much longer after that. DDP didn't seem to have taken much damage, so could turn around quick dor Sydney and all of a sudden that looks like a must see fight.

The calls for Rob to give it away are a bit rich IMO.... he's only 32 and is still amongst the best few in the world.

Hooker and Turner put on a great scrap too. I figured Dan was about done after the failed trip back to 145, but he still has some life in him. Can't see him being cleared for Sydney, but he should be in a top 10 scrap before the end of the year.

He's going to run into some problems if he doesn't tighten up the defence, but Nickel has strong striking fundamentals and a very good grasp of distance. He's no sure thing, but the hype is justified.

I don't disagree that Nickal is a top shelf prospect, but other than power, his stiking left a bit to be desired tonight. I thought his distance control was pretty average tonight as well. He ended up almost chest to chest with Woodburn after throwing strikes on a few occasions and had to take some quick steps to get out of range. Still, he's just a baby in the sport so his potential for growth is massive.

What a way for Robbie to go out tonight! The highlights package at the end of the fight was a nice touch too.

Disappointing to see Crute show up as pretty much the same version of himself as the last fight, only more gun shy. He looked in great shape but as soon as the fight started it was more of the same. Not sure if he retired or was just angry and wanted his gloves off at the end of the fight, but if he stays in the game he needs to look at a new camp I think. He's not getting better in what should be his prime years of improvement.

What a beast Volk is. Yair looked a little hesitant early, no doubt anticipating the take down and as soon as he got comfortable he got cracked and finished. I don't see the point of Alex staying at 145 now, there really is nothing left for him to accomplish there. Put on some good weight and go cement your legacy at 155.

I was very wrong about the co main event. I thought with Pantoja's walk them down style that he would either walk on to something and get stopped or just get outclassed and lose a wide decision. I was very confident after round two that the latter would occur, but Pantoja kept coming and controll ed the majority of the ground exchanges. I get the feeling we'll see a 4th fight between them before too long as Moreno still seems a class above the rest of the weight class at the moment.

Shattered for Rob, but what a performance by Du Plessis! He looked all at sea early on and I thought Rob was going to coast to a decision, but from about half way through the first he looked ominous. The takedown off a headlock was surprising... I can't remember the last time I saw that work in men's MMA! It was hugely effective though as Rob seemed a bit disoriented at the end of the round and didn't last too much longer after that. DDP didn't seem to have taken much damage, so could turn around quick dor Sydney and all of a sudden that looks like a must see fight.

The calls for Rob to give it away are a bit rich IMO.... he's only 32 and is still amongst the best few in the world.

Hooker and Turner put on a great scrap too. I figured Dan was about done after the failed trip back to 145, but he still has some life in him. Can't see him being cleared for Sydney, but he should be in a top 10 scrap before the end of the year.

I don't disagree that Nickal is a top shelf prospect, but other than power, his stiking left a bit to be desired tonight. I thought his distance control was pretty average tonight as well. He ended up almost chest to chest with Woodburn after throwing strikes on a few occasions and had to take some quick steps to get out of range. Still, he's just a baby in the sport so his potential for growth is massive.

What a way for Robbie to go out tonight! The highlights package at the end of the fight was a nice touch too.

Disappointing to see Crute show up as pretty much the same version of himself as the last fight, only more gun shy. He looked in great shape but as soon as the fight started it was more of the same. Not sure if he retired or was just angry and wanted his gloves off at the end of the fight, but if he stays in the game he needs to look at a new camp I think. He's not getting better in what should be his prime years of improvement.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great day of fights. Lots of upsets. Shattered Rob got put down but volk continues to dominate. Thought I was watching a Dagestani with those takedowns and savage ground and pound. My main card multi fell to s**t but chucked a quick 5 on Lawler just before the fight started and ended up breaking even for the day

Ha, just saw that about a minute ago. Good to hear because he's still super young.
yeah still young enough but he needs a total change of camp/scenery

yeah still young enough but he needs a total change of camp/scenery
He's already done that tohugh. After the first Alonzo Menifield fight he dumped Sam Greco as coach and got a whole new team.

Jimmy spent the entire lead up to this fight talking about how he was a changed man, had cut out booze/partying and we'd see a completely new version of him.

I would have cut him some more slack on today's performance if he hadn't have talked such a big game. I was super disappointed to see him regress like that. Curious to hear what his excuses are.

He's already done that tohugh. After the first Alonzo Menifield fight he dumped Sam Greco as coach and got a whole new team.

Jimmy spent the entire lead up to this fight talking about how he was a changed man, had cut out booze/partying and we'd see a completely new version of him.

I would have cut him some more slack on today's performance if he hadn't have talked such a big game. I was super disappointed to see him regress like that. Curious to hear what his excuses are.
Not sure he needs to work on his technical stuff, seems like he needs to go away and work on the mental stuff. Looked like he didn't wanna really be in there when he walked in.

Never thought I'd like the guy who smashed Rob, but now I wanna see Dricus destroy Izzy

jeez Izzy is an amazing fighter but his trash talking is rubbish.

I have never seen a white guy tell a black guy he isn't a properly African lol

that was A grade by Du Plessis

Fun card overall, Volk just keeps getting better, Yair is very dangerous but Volk just too much, best fighter in the world.

Rob’s loss upset me a lot ha ha, love that guy. Bound to happen at some point, he only fights killers and DDP v Adesanya will be a lot of fun.

Dan Hooker is the man, loves a firefight and was a great win. Nickal did it very easy, when you have a huge grappling advantage landing punches can be a lot easier.

Jimmy Crute never looked like it, getting countered all day and left the neck exposed on that TD attempt. Never looks good for a grappler to get guillotined like that, bad night for him.

Fun card overall, Volk just keeps getting better, Yair is very dangerous but Volk just too much, best fighter in the world.

Rob’s loss upset me a lot ha ha, love that guy. Bound to happen at some point, he only fights killers and DDP v Adesanya will be a lot of fun.

Dan Hooker is the man, loves a firefight and was a great win. Nickal did it very easy, when you have a huge grappling advantage landing punches can be a lot easier.

Jimmy Crute never looked like it, getting countered all day and left the neck exposed on that TD attempt. Never looks good for a grappler to get guillotined like that, bad night for him.

Shocked me how strong DDP was. He was ragdolling Darren Till and, although Rob's BJJ was better, DPP looked huge when he was on top of Rob.

If he can get Izzy down he could cause some serious damage.

Shocked me how strong DDP was. He was ragdolling Darren Till and, although Rob's BJJ was better, DPP looked huge when he was on top of Rob.

If he can get Izzy down he could cause some serious damage.
Looked like he was the size of blachowicz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back