MMA-UFC UFC 290

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally a decent card after a couple of stinkers from the UFC. Aside from Volk v Yair especially excited about:

Whittaker v DuPlessis
Nickal v Gore
Lawler v Price
Crute v Menifield

Robbie Lawler’s final octagon entry, too. What a warrior he’s been!

Topkent your boy needs win this weekend. Got the draw from a point deduction to Alonzo, so will need to lift to get the W.
Geez I'm not confident, kids got a hell of a heart but heck he looks slow in his last few. Eats way too many jabs and one twos without head movement

Glad JDM got a fill in, but I feel for the poor bloke who has to do it.
Hopefully he's gets that top line opponent soon
that poor bloke is going to have his head made into a mess by jack

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a really interesting card imo

Volk is in real danger v Yair I reckon. Volk is the better more rounded fighter, without doubt but he gets hit. Holloway has been able to drop him and Islam was tagging him, I worry that Yair could suck him in with his unpredictability and really get him. I'm still picking Volk but Yair paying $4 is over the odds imo

Moreno v Pantajoa is super interesting. Moreno has leveled up since their last fight, but their last fight was an absolute demolishing by Pantajoa. Does Alexandre have his number? or has Moreno leveled up too much for him? Still going Moreno

Rob v Du Plessis - Rob has him covered in every aspect by Dricus is 19-1 (18 finishes) and has finished all 5 UFC victories. Are their holes in his game? heck yes, but he knows how to finish fights and Rob has been finished a couple of times. Whittaker to take it out but he may not

Hooker v Turner - Two long rangey guys at this weight class. Someone is getting put to sleep in this. Hooker is in danger imo and Turner has finished every fight he has won. Heart says Hooker but I reckon Turner gets him

Nickal v Gore - ******* hell the UFC are pumping their American wrestler up. And I have no idea about Gore but this seems like an easy kill on PPV for Nickal

Prelims

Lawler v Price is a 50/50 fight. Like them both but feel it should be on the PPv before Nickal and Gore but I guess it is about marketing. Think Price gets a decision

Jack Della should win his fight (although tbf a 7-0 off broadway bloke he is fighting I have no knowledge about)

Crute v Menifield - Hopefully Jimmy has learnt to move his head. And starts to mix it up a bit more with takedowns rather than standing and being punched in the face

Unless that other guy is already one of the best 15 fighters in welterweight in the world he's gonna get smashed JDM is a gun
His fights all seem to be a lightweight or 160 catchweight. I hope he's getting more then a 12k to show deal for taking this on a week's notice. It should get ugly or be over before it even has the chance to get ugly

His fights all seem to be a lightweight or 160 catchweight. I hope he's getting more then a 12k to show deal for taking this on a week's notice. It should get ugly or be over before it even has the chance to get ugly
Yeah and JDM is so god damn calm with his strikes aswell I really don't think the opponent change matters

Been watching all the film in the lead up to this especially the sayif saud video on Volk vs Yair, heck me dead Yair would be a nightmare to watch film on. It's basically like see how he's standing here scratching his leg, that prompts him to throw a spinning back kick. An here where he looks down at your toes, that's the cue for his front flip 😂

One of the greats and all time fan favourites to bow out in this event. Final dance in the UFC
robbie lawler ufc GIF
Robbie Lawler GIF by UFC
Robbie Lawler Sport GIF by UFC

One of the greats and all time fan favourites to bow out in this event. Final dance in the UFC
robbie lawler ufc GIF
Robbie Lawler GIF by UFC
Robbie Lawler Sport GIF by UFC
Whittaker had such a good line about him in his press conference, said when he was a welterweight he was one guy he didn't wanna fight " he looks like the type of guy who would bite you if he could "

It's a really interesting card imo

Volk is in real danger v Yair I reckon. Volk is the better more rounded fighter, without doubt but he gets hit. Holloway has been able to drop him and Islam was tagging him, I worry that Yair could suck him in with his unpredictability and really get him. I'm still picking Volk but Yair paying $4 is over the odds imo

Moreno v Pantajoa is super interesting. Moreno has leveled up since their last fight, but their last fight was an absolute demolishing by Pantajoa. Does Alexandre have his number? or has Moreno leveled up too much for him? Still going Moreno

Rob v Du Plessis - Rob has him covered in every aspect by Dricus is 19-1 (18 finishes) and has finished all 5 UFC victories. Are their holes in his game? * yes, but he knows how to finish fights and Rob has been finished a couple of times. Whittaker to take it out but he may not

Hooker v Turner - Two long rangey guys at this weight class. Someone is getting put to sleep in this. Hooker is in danger imo and Turner has finished every fight he has won. Heart says Hooker but I reckon Turner gets him

Nickal v Gore - ******* hell the UFC are pumping their American wrestler up. And I have no idea about Gore but this seems like an easy kill on PPV for Nickal

Prelims

Lawler v Price is a 50/50 fight. Like them both but feel it should be on the PPv before Nickal and Gore but I guess it is about marketing. Think Price gets a decision

Jack Della should win his fight (although tbf a 7-0 off broadway bloke he is fighting I have no knowledge about)

Crute v Menifield - Hopefully Jimmy has learnt to move his head. And starts to mix it up a bit more with takedowns rather than standing and being punched in the face
Good analysis. I'll add on if I can:

Volk vs Yair - I love Yair but I can't really see him besting Volk. Max neutralised him, Stephens was very competitive and TKZ would've beaten him if not for the (imo) GOAT KO. Volk decision.

Moreno vs Pantoja - Maybe he does have his number, who knows? I agree that Moreno is a different fighter though, and on paper, he really looks a bad fight for Pantoja. Moreno decision.

Whittaker vs Du Plessis - I just can't see how Du Plessis gets it done. I would be as shocked as I've ever been in this sport. Rob KO

Turner vs Hooker - Dan got a lay-up last time but straight back into the killers here. Turner sub.

Nickal vs Woodburn - Opponent change doesn't matter, still an easy kill.

Lawler vs Price - Can see Robbie going out on a high here, Price is very hittable. Lawler KO, why not.

JDM vs Harrell - A lightweight in his debut at the big show, hopefully he at least gets a decent payday (hah).

Crute vs Menifield - I think Jimmy gets KOd this time.

And then two awesome prospects in Taira and Saaiman on the early prelims, phewf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back