Champs Lg UEFA Champions League 2023/24 (Final: Borussia Dortmund vs Real Madrid) - On Stan

Champions League

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve just had 4 cracking quarter finals. It’s a small sample but there’s no way they bring back away goals while they’re getting ties like these.

I give Bayern a big chance against Madrid. Think they match up well and will limit how Madrid like to attack and they won’t see anything like the space City gave them. They’ve got enough in attack to find the goals they’ll need as well.

They are cup comps and hard to win but it’s looking a pretty humbling season for the Premier League in Europe.

Absolutely agree with that. And he didn't get on the end of it, so he didn't do his job, which meant it was a disappointing campaign for him. No one (at least as far as I'm aware) has called him a failure this season, or a flop, or any other hyperbolic term that gets used all too often these days, just that I would have thought City would have wanted more from him in this campaign than he provided. 12 in 11 last season 6 in 9 this season, with only 1 in the knockouts (in a tie already decided). That was all I was saying.

I suspect if Haaland was asked how he summed up his CL campaign this year he'd say he was disappointed in himself not being able to contribute more, so I'm not sure why it's such a controversial comment to make.
He skied his chances as he did get on the end of a few. Multiple headers he won and skied it over, hit cross bar. Kind of thing Nunez gets beaten up about. Mbappe is the one that shows how to get it done in knockout stages. He scored another 2 for PSG and he's also their talisman. City wasted tons of buildup with KDB giving it away or wasting a chance and Haaland missing.

Only reason they got back in the game was Ancelotti waiting too long to sub off Dani and Kroos.

The scrapping of the rule has tipped the scales slightly more in favour of home sides being more attacking at the expense of away sides attacking in the first leg, and that's fine, because the away side in the first leg then gets to go home and try to get it done in front of their own fans. Makes it much more equitable and encourages the home side to try to run up a good score in the first leg without as much fear of being hit on the break and shooting themselves in the foot.
Agreed. The old rule did leave more knife-edge tension and drama, but ultimately it also lead to silly situations too. It absolutely makes the two legs much more like standard home/away league games, for better or worse.

Agreed. The old rule did leave more knife-edge tension and drama, but ultimately it also lead to silly situations too. It absolutely makes the two legs much more like standard home/away league games, for better or worse.
The only major issue I had with the old rule was the fact that away goals counted in ET. Even still they should scrap ET because it does favour the home team who are home by virtue of the draw (at this stage there is no seeding).

The only major issue I had with the old rule was the fact that away goals counted in ET. Even still they should scrap ET because it does favour the home team who are home by virtue of the draw (at this stage there is no seeding).
Scrap penalties too.

Pistols at 20 paces.

Lol come on. After city had had near on 40 shots and missed multiple big opportunities. Madrid absolutely got lucky to get through. They defended well but they didn't have a shot on target after the 12th minute. That's not a masterstroke that's a hindsight result praise

67% possession for City.
33 shots to 8.
9 shots on target to 3.
18 corners to 1.

The lesser team held out for a draw and got through via the lottery of a penalty shoot out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knifey spoony instead of penalties.
How about duck duck goose?

ralph wiggum loop GIF

67% possession for City.
33 shots to 8.
9 shots on target to 3.
18 corners to 1.

The lesser team held out for a draw and got through via the lottery of a penalty shoot out.
Can happen when a team goes ahead early. RM closed down centre of the pitch ..City 30 crosses in first 90 mins. a reflection of that. Probably only mistake as someone else mentioned is Ancelotti took too long with the subs …fresh Doku able to exploit.

67% possession for City.
33 shots to 8.
9 shots on target to 3.
18 corners to 1.

The better team went through. If you score the same with less chances you're just better. If you have the ball 67% of the time and you can't win you're just shitter.

Get the * rid of equal goal rule.
Has to be away goals.

Scored 3 times at Bernabeu, yet means nothing
Real Madrid would have sat back and played boring as * football at home as well then. It opened the game up getting rid of the away goals rule

The better team went through. If you score the same with less chances you're just better. If you have the ball 67% of the time and you can't win you're just shitter.
You are unbelievably biased. Real got lucky but everyone is happy about it other than Man City and EPL fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back