Discussion TV Broadcast Graphics - Designs & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

What I'll never understand about the international scoring method is why Australia are '338-3' but Siraj's figures are referred to as '1-76'. Just standardise Wickets/Runs everywhere please.

What I'll never understand about the international scoring method is why Australia are '338-3' but Siraj's figures are referred to as '1-76'. Just standardise Wickets/Runs everywhere please.
It's Australia that's the outlier here. Every country will write it as 338-3, but when we see the scorecard on Ch7, Ch9, and Foxtel/Kayo it'll be written as 3-338.
This is what gripes me more. At least standardize how the scores are written for the same thing first across the world before worrying about that.

Sneak peak of new EPL graphics in the EAFC release

3c6d03ae68e1f3a6be3dd52805dd3e6e.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not stupid if it works - honestly that could be running off of OBS on a laptop. Good way to be resourceful and frugal considering how ridiculously priced some software and hardware options are.
There’s definitely bound to be some latency issues though. I do the scoreboard at Coburg home games as well as match reports and I keep the site open to look at stats and such. There’s always a gap between the clock on the two, rarely ever is it more than a minute but it’s definitely a noticeable gap. Wouldn’t take a master programmer to code something simple that involves the addition and multiplication for the scores and a timer for the quarters.

There’s definitely bound to be some latency issues though. I do the scoreboard at Coburg home games as well as match reports and I keep the site open to look at stats and such. There’s always a gap between the clock on the two, rarely ever is it more than a minute but it’s definitely a noticeable gap. Wouldn’t take a master programmer to code something simple that involves the addition and multiplication for the scores and a timer for the quarters.
I've done something similar in Flask/Python for my rugby stuff - pulls in data (albeit without timer since refs keep time in Subbies) from Fusesport but this data is also input by a scorer for each team so there's bound to be errors.

Clocks/timers are a lot trickier to get right than simple "score" graphics but if the AFL already have a fairly reliable source available publicly why not just show that?

I've also attached a shot of a pet project of mine that generates the NRL's "stats" screens they show in the stadia every half/full time - even the NRL's website often has little errors and glitches though and sometimes scores will not update for a few minutes while the operator is on a wee break.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 21.51.39.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 21.51.39.png
    200.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 21.52.17.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 21.52.17.png
    226.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 21.51.58.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 21.51.58.png
    208.3 KB · Views: 60
Sky Sports Premier League graphics are much better

View attachment 1773564
In some ways, yes, but also really doesn't give potentially new viewers any context. Great for people who know exactly what they're watching and can recognise team badges, but there are no other context cues.

I'm also not a fan of that layout with the score and time stacked in the centre like that, can't elucidate what puts me off just doesn't sit right for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back