List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

For those bemoaning the TT and Hopper trades, given we’d have desperately needed to draft 2 x mids, can people please peruse the draft boards and let us know who the Tigers could’ve secured with the TT and Hopper traded picks? I’d be interested to see how the likely selections are tracking and how soon they’d help us on field?

Please keep in mind the 2 x mids you pick out, means we wouldn’t have drafted McCauliffe as we’d have been stacked with young mids.

Go at it peeps.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Would have used those picks with our future picks and secured Harley Reid. 🤣

I'm not fazed, the good thing is the club now knows we don't have the talent they thought we had and it's now time to inject some youth.

As I said before try and trade up, get as many 1st rounders we can and then decide if say we have 3 or 4 to move one of those into next seasons draft to capture the best of both worlds.

I would love to pick up someone like Joel Jeffrey from Gold Coast. I’m also a Lukosios fan. Draft in the next Cotch and Dusty and chip away through trades a few marking forwards. I reckon a pick in the teens would secure Lukosios
Never Ever No GIF by Bounce

Taranto and Hopper were good decisions.
Those picks turned into Elijah Hewett (2022 pick 14), Max Gruzewski (2022 pick 22), Toby Mcmullin (2022 pick 34), Daniel Curtin (2023 pick 8).

We wouldn’t have picked Curtin at 8 either but he would be handy right now. But yeah, we haven’t lost much and Hopper and Taranto in our side now we don’t get smashed as we did. Lost comfortably, yes, but this is why we need to just focus on our S&C department and keep a senior core together and add some top line kids to our list. Dont go full Kangas.

Those picks turned into Elijah Hewett (2022 pick 14), Max Gruzewski (2022 pick 22), Toby Mcmullin (2022 pick 34), Daniel Curtin (2023 pick 8).
So you are quite certain that if we had kept our picks we would have selected exactly the same players and that two we gave away for Hopper would have been equally injury prone?

Also at this early stage you're equally certain that these players (or the ones we may have actually picked) are not going to make it? Because every time a sceptic raises his head about Hopper, be it how much he cost, his durability or his disposal etc, part of the usual retort is 'it's far to early to tell whether the trade is a win or a loss, when he plays out his seven year contract then we'll know'.

Well just saying, if that's the case, it works both ways.

We probably would’ve drafted Caddy ahead of curtain in 2023

In 2022 the players still on the board when hewett was selected were weddle and Darcy jones, and not much after Gruzewski.

We won the Taranto trade, lost the Hopper trade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you are quite certain that if we had kept our picks we would have selected exactly the same players and that two we gave away for Hopper would have been equally injury prone?
No we probably wouldn't have selected exactly those four players.

But the point/question posed above by noidnadroj is still valid. Who on that draft list would've improved our current plight, let alone the next few years? It's a very reasonable question.

Also at this early stage you're equally certain that these players (or the ones we may have actually picked) are not going to make it? Because every time a sceptic raises his head about Hopper, be it how much he cost, his durability or his disposal etc, part of the usual retort is 'it's far to early to tell whether the trade is a win or a loss, when he plays out his seven year contract then we'll know'.

The point isn't whether or not the player makes it, it's whether they make it in positions of need for our list.

I've asked this question before, but what good is a highly touted HF flanker at pick whatever from the TT/Hopper deal if we don't need a player in that position?

The only argument that makes sense if we want to criticise those trades is if we missed out on not only a highly rated youngster, but a highly rated youngster that filled list need (ie. inside mid or dominant key tall).

I would say that only George Hewett has even the slightest potential of being that for our list, but even he's had an injury interrupted 2 seasons on an AFL list where it's uncertain as to what level he then achieves.

Looking at who went after in 2022, I'm confident they won't be better than Taranto.

I admit that the long term contracts were a huge gamble but going in that trade our midfield needs were what we needed.

Looking at who went after in 2022, I'm confident they won't be better than Taranto.

I admit that the long term contracts were a huge gamble but going in that trade our midfield needs were what we needed.

But they will probably be better than Taranto the next time we are challenging for top 4. Does it matter whos better in the next few years when we are rebuilding?

Also what pick did Sanders go at? Dogs traded up for him, we could have easily traded up a couple of spots to get the pick off GC. He looks exactly what we need and will be better than Hopper very soon.

But we need to move on from the trades, had a dip to stay up there, didnt happen. Just need to start getting it right now and improving the list each season.

Our biggest issue for now should be the current senior players and who stays/leaves. Players looking like they are miles off it this early in the season is a worry. Need to work out how many we need to help with the rebuild and who wants to be a part of it. Looking at North its a disaster whats happened with their senior players and now more looking to leave. We have to get that part right.

But they will probably be better than Taranto the next time we are challenging for top 4. Does it matter whos better in the next few years when we are rebuilding?
Let's just sack everyone trade Bolton, Vlaustin, D. Rioli, Lynch, Balta, Taranto & Hopper.
let's just roll out 23 kids and get pumped by 120-150 points let's see how fun it will be being a supporter.

And as part of the Hopper trade we got Steely Green and Kaleb Smith. Maybe none, one or both will make it, who knows?

But can you imagine what 2025-2028 would look like in relation to our midfield if we didn’t have TT and Hopper waiting in the wings to help guide through the midfield youth??

Of course we have no idea who Richmond would’ve taken if we didn’t trade for TT and Hopper. But given our need for bigger bodies mids with Dusty, Cotch and Prestia coming to the end, and Bolton, Dow and Sonsie all being small, there’s little doubt at least two of those 4 x picks would’ve been used on larger mids.

So at pick 14 of 2022, we likely would’ve grabbed Ed Allan, a 194cm midfielder. He went to Pies at 19, but he was easily the highest rated larger mid still on the board at 14. He hasn’t debuted yet , has played 24 x VFL games across 2023-24, and his last 3 x VFL games he’s had 15 / 17 / 14 and hasn’t scored. Far too early to tell where he ends up in his career, but I can be sure he wouldn’t be helping us right now based on that output at VFL level.

So then onto pick-22. No idea again who we’d grab, but what I can say is that from pick-22 and beyond, no single player is setting the world on fire just yet. A few players have played a few decent games, but nobody stands out yet and most haven’t had any sort of impact. So again, what I can guarantee is they wouldn’t be helping us now.

Onto the Hopper picks which was 34 and a F1. Once again, no idea who we’d get at 34. But she’s a real lottery beyond 30, history tells you that. The F1 I believe we’d have grabbed Curtin at 8.

So at this stage, it’s TT, Hopper, Green and Smith (we got 2 x later picks back as part of Hopper trade)

V

Ed Allan, Curtin, players at 22 and 34.

Early days but K Smith in particular looks like a good selection in the 50’s. Steely Green also not without a chance of making the grade.

What we have to realise is 4 x kids aged 19-20yo now, and what chance has the team got of being even remotely competitive the next few seasons? We’ve seen how we look without TT and Hopper the last couple of weeks. Our midfield is genuinely non-competitive. We gave up 77 I50’s on the weekend FFS.

Even if TT and Hopper aren’t in our next flag tilt … they can provide the guidance and protection to help develop the younger mids we have.

I’m very happy with how our midfield is shaping up 2025 and beyond. McCaullife looks the goods, Sonsie and Dow the lighter bodied support, then TT, Hopper and Ross the bigger bodies with the experience and Bolton the wildcard. Get another midfielder with one of the high picks in 2024 draft and that area of the ground is regenerated within 12-months.

Also what pick did Sanders go at? Dogs traded up for him, we could have easily traded up a couple of spots to get the pick off GC. He looks exactly what we need and will be better than Hopper very soon.

Since you asked, Bulldogs sent pick 10 (their own), pick 17 (pick from the Dunkley trade) and a F1 to the Suns for pick 4 (Sanders), pick 46, pick 51 and F3. Points wise, 10 + 17 = somewhere around pick 3.

Assuming we don't do the Hopper deal, we would've had pick 8 and fck all else to do the trade.

So please explain how "easy" would it have been for us to do that trade even if we didn't trade in Hopper?

Let's just sack everyone trade Bolton, Vlaustin, D. Rioli, Lynch, Balta, Taranto & Hopper.
let's just roll out 23 kids and get pumped by 120-150 points let's see how fun it will be being a supporter.
We survived 37 years of it what makes you think we won't for another 37 years? Different times now but it feels ever so real we are back in the dark ages. Mark my words if we don't hit the mark with our pics this year and next we are doomed. Our matches of the year will be VS Norf lol.

For those bemoaning the TT and Hopper trades, given we’d have desperately needed to draft 2 x mids, can people please peruse the draft boards and let us know who the Tigers could’ve secured with the TT and Hopper traded picks? I’d be interested to see how the likely selections are tracking and how soon they’d help us on field?

Please keep in mind the 2 x mids you pick out, means we wouldn’t have drafted McCauliffe as we’d have been stacked with young mids.

Go at it peeps.

I think you need to educate yourself on how drafting works. Sit down noob because you're about to be schooled.

With those two picks that we gave for TT and the Picks we gave for Hopper we could of;
So we paid 19 and 12 for TT. So if we took those picks along with the second rounder we paid for hopper we could of moved all those picks PLUS Deledio to GWS to get the number 1 pick from North. We can trade Deledio away and he will come back to us when we are in our flag window like Trent Croad at Hawthorn. They got him back and Luke Hodge in that trade so there was no reason we couldn't of done that here.

So then for 2023 we could of taken our first pick and all the other picks we had to Gold Coast to get one of their first round picks then we could of taken pick 8 and that pick 6 and Tom Lynch + Dusty (see rationale for trading Lids) and got Pick 1, 2 and 5 which really could of gone a long way to get us back up the ladder by this year.

See, there are soooo many just STUPID and CLEAR moves that our recruitment department are clearly BLIND to. I swear that these AMATURES could learn something from me because I clearly know more than these people. I watch 20min a week of the NAB league and the VFL highlights so I know exactly what I am talking about.

Last edited:
If Dusty walks and Baker leaves also we should genuinely consider moving on Lynch & Prestia if there are clubs interested
If the GC interest in DRioli is genuine then we just have to get their 2 top 10 picks.

If the above eventuates then we are in a position to take a salary dump player like the Bowes/Geelong type deal
5-6 picks inside 20 combined with the 5 inside 30 of 2 years ago

Now that is a full blown rebuild
Yeah it is a full blown rebuild but we would really suck for a long long time. We need to keep Lynch on the list for just the coaching aspects for our Forwards. I am not too sure Balta, Lefau and Kosi can learn their forward craft from Teague or someone like that.

If Rioli really wants to leave then sure we can let him go but I think that it could be a 1 first rounder and 1 second rounder with maybe some upgrades on 3rd and 4th rounders. He does seem to have good leadership with the indigenous lads but a running half backer is a dime a dozen position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back