List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems like the narrative is being driven by the fact he has just purchased a property in perth. If I was a footballer playing in a different state, id buy a house in my home state too so its ready to go for when i retire from AFL. Doesn't mean hes leaving now. His elevation to VC says that its a strong chance hes the next captain. He also is playing more midfield now, leads from the front with his on field actions and attack on the footy and players. Hard as nails. Reminds me of a former skipper.

You get Bruce Monteath vibes?

Also a Perth boy he would have been goneski as soon as West Coast came calling.
I remember that flight risk was a doubt on him at the time. Nobody doubted his ability but pretty sure he and the family were Eagles nuffies.

I posted this on the Baker thread on the main board but ofcourse the eagles fans coughed at it as you would expect byr there is really only 2 ways they can trade for baker.

1, 2nd rounder + F2
2. They trade pick #3 / #4 to the suns for their picks #9 & #10 keep 1 and trade the other for Baker
Gold Coast would do that deal as it allows them to get ahead of the bid for Lombard which is expected to be top 5/6

Tigers
Out : Baker , 41 , 42 , 59 , 65
In : #10 , #20

West Coast
Out : #4
In : Baker , #9

Gold Coast
Out : #9 , #10 , #20
In #4 , 41 , 42 , 59 , 65

Richmond 2024 draft picks
#3 , #10 , #20 , #23 , #31

I posted this on the Baker thread on the main board but ofcourse the eagles fans coughed at it as you would expect byr there is really only 2 ways they can trade for baker.

1, 2nd rounder + F2
2. They trade pick #3 / #4 to the suns for their picks #9 & #10 keep 1 and trade the other for Baker
Gold Coast would do that deal as it allows them to get ahead of the bid for Lombard which is expected to be top 5/6

Tigers

West Coast

Gold Coast

That's very reasonable imo.

If they don't value Baker, or don't understand his true value to them, then Don't chase him

I'm pretty confident Matt Clarke understands his value though, and that's who it ultimately boils down to.

1, 2nd rounder + F2

Tigers

West Coast

Gold Coast

It's fair on face value but suns have a highly rated academy prospect in Leonardo Lombard so they'll probably be looking to offload their 1st round picks, not gather earlier ones.

Can't see Eagles trading their 1st pick either. Baker doesn't make sense for them.

It's fair on face value but suns have a highly rated academy prospect in Leonardo Lombard so they'll probably be looking to offload their 1st round picks, not gather earlier ones.

Can't see Eagles trading their 1st pick either. Baker doesn't make sense for them.

I think Gun's saying they might trade for a higher 1st to get ahead of a bid for Lombard. I.e. he won't be bid on before 3-4 but may well be by 9-10

1, 2nd rounder + F2

Tigers

West Coast

Gold Coast

Eagles best bet is to try and trade say their pick 4 for 2 of the dockers first rounders. Not sure Freo would be keen if they knew it was going to be part of the Baker trade though considering they want him too.

Freo atm have 9,11 & 14. However, Collingwood you would think will climb into the 8 by seasons end. (currently pick 9) Depending where Freo & Port finish you would think they might be willing to trade 2 of the later 1st rounders for pick 3/4.

Also, I would be hoping no one trades with Gold coast for their 2 first rounders except for us (currently picks 8 &10) With their academy player highly touted we might be a better chance bundling up some picks for their best 1st rounder. With Gold coast now full of ex-Richmond people we might have little resistance in doing a trade as long as it works out best for both parties.

I know im waffling here but how highly touted is Gold Coast academy pick though thinking about it, if he is a considered pick 6-10 then they might not want to trade at all and keep their picks.

Last edited:

That why they want to move up the board to 3/4 to get infront of the bid

1, 2nd rounder + F2

Tigers

West Coast

Gold Coast

Problem there is there is not enough points to make that worth while for Gold Coast. With just those picks (41,42,59,65) they will only be able to cover a bid at pick 12 (with the discounts) without having to dip into their other picks. I believe they have a few kids that they will need to bid on in the top 30 or so.

I think that with both sides wanting Baker (Freo and West Coast) and the reports out of WA that Freo are really coming hard, I really can't see Baker wanting to head to WC unless he really wants to be a leader of that club.

For me I would prefer to deal with Freo and Carlton/Brisbane

Tigers:
Out: Baker, 30,43,59,65
In: 10, 14 (Call it brisbane/Carlton first pick if they finish 4th), 26

Freo:
Out: 10, 26
In: Baker and potential steak knives in the 3rd or 4th round

Carlton:
Out: 14 (With discount covers a bid at pick 8)
In: 30,43,59,65

Richmond go to the draft with 4, 10, 14, 23, 26, 48, 70

If we then go further and go to Brisbane because the Ashcroft kid looks to go high in the draft
Richmond
Out: 23,26,48,70
In: 13 (assuming they finish 5th)

Brisbane
Out: 13
In: 23,26,48,70 (covers a bid at pick 3 with discount)

Richmond head to the 2024 draft with 4, 10, 13,14, 77, 95

4 picks in the first round means that we should at least find 2 players who should play 150 games and 1 extra player to play 100.

1, 2nd rounder + F2

Tigers

West Coast

Gold Coast

I think Gun's saying they might trade for a higher 1st to get ahead of a bid for Lombard. I.e. he won't be bid on before 3-4 but may well be by 9-10

Other potential issue with this scenario is assuming that the Suns want another highly rated (midfielder) kid before Lombard. At the moment, the best kids seems to be midfielders, and in a squad with Miller, Anderson, Rowell, Flanders playing at HB, Davies (was a highly rated midfield prospect from their academy), Fiorini who's been playing on a wing, as well as recent midfield debuts to Graham and Rogers, a highly rated midfield prospect seems like the last thing the Suns need to draft, considering that Lombard himself seems like a midfield prospect.

Unless a gun KPD makes himself known to the top end of the draft (and assuming North doesn't pick him up), then I don't see why the Suns would want to trade before the Lombard pick at all.

Problem there is there is not enough points to make that worth while for Gold Coast. With just those picks (41,42,59,65) they will only be able to cover a bid at pick 12 (with the discounts) without having to dip into their other picks. I believe they have a few kids that they will need to bid on in the top 30 or so.

I think that with both sides wanting Baker (Freo and West Coast) and the reports out of WA that Freo are really coming hard, I really can't see Baker wanting to head to WC unless he really wants to be a leader of that club.

For me I would prefer to deal with Freo and Carlton/Brisbane

Tigers:
Out: Baker, 30,43,59,65
In: 10, 14 (Call it brisbane/Carlton first pick if they finish 4th), 26

Freo:
Out: 10, 26
In: Baker and potential steak knives in the 3rd or 4th round

Carlton:
Out: 14 (With discount covers a bid at pick 8)
In: 30,43,59,65

Richmond go to the draft with 4, 10, 14, 23, 26, 48, 70

If we then go further and go to Brisbane because the Ashcroft kid looks to go high in the draft
Richmond
Out: 23,26,48,70
In: 13 (assuming they finish 5th)

Brisbane
Out: 13
In: 23,26,48,70 (covers a bid at pick 3 with discount)

4 picks in the first round means that we should at least find 2 players who should play 150 games and 1 extra player to play 100.

I like it, I don't think Freo would be willing to give up 26 as well if they offered us pick 10 though, however stranger things have happened.

Other potential issue with this scenario is assuming that the Suns want another highly rated (midfielder) kid before Lombard. At the moment, the best kids seems to be midfielders, and in a squad with Miller, Anderson, Rowell, Flanders playing at HB, Davies (was a highly rated midfield prospect from their academy), Fiorini who's been playing on a wing, as well as recent midfield debuts to Graham and Rogers, a highly rated midfield prospect seems like the last thing the Suns need to draft, considering that Lombard himself seems like a midfield prospect.

Unless a gun KPD makes himself known to the top end of the draft (and assuming North doesn't pick him up), then I don't see why the Suns would want to trade before the Lombard pick at all.
Just 1 name and Gold Coast would do that deal for

Luke Trainor expected top 4-7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be a fantastic result but doubt freo agree

Also i would like another pick in the mid 20's which Graham compo should provive
basically 5 picks inside 30

Just 1 name and Gold Coast would do that deal for

Luke Trainor expected top 4-7

Luke Trainor is also a North supporter, and with North's midfield in a similar state to the Sun's while their KPP stocks are woefully inadequate, why wouldn't North pick him with their first pick?

And assuming North does take a midfielder for some reason (maybe if LDU leaves), why would Trainor get past a club like Hawthorn who have similar KPP woes?

Unless you're 100% confident that neither of those clubs take Trainor given the state of their two lists, which isn't a guarantee (especially North), I just don't see it.

Luke Trainor is also a North supporter, and with North's midfield in a similar state to the Sun's while their KPP stocks are woefully inadequate, why wouldn't North pick him with their first pick?

And assuming North does take a midfielder for some reason (maybe if LDU leaves), why would Trainor get past a club like Hawthorn who have similar KPP woes?

Unless you're 100% confident that neither of those clubs take Trainor given the state of their two lists, which isn't a guarantee (especially North), I just don't see it.
Would they reach from #1 to #4/5 to get trainor ?

think they go best available

Would they reach from #1 to #4/5 to get trainor ?

think they go best available

Unless North splits pick 1, why would North choose another midfielder over a KPP when one is obviously a need over the other?

LDU, Powell, McKercher, Phillips, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Greenwood, Simpkin, Lazzaro, Paul Curtis given CBAs on the weekend, Cam Zurhaar runs through, and they might look at Duursma going through as well in the future.

End of 2017 we had a just turned 29yo Jack Riewoldt and a year later we got a just turned 26yo Tom Lynch.

If we did get Oscar Allen he would’ve left the club after 2-years as he’d still have been third in line start of 2021.

It’s nice to think he’d have happily bided his time in the VFL for majority of games from 2018-2022, only playing when Jack or Tom were out of the side … he wouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Hilarious response devoid of logic ...
1) Allen did not play in 2018 because of tibia stress fracture he had when drafted
2) Chol played 30 games as a forward from 2019-2022
3) He started behind Kennedy and Darling at WCE during this period

4) Drafting Higgins over Allen was an epic fail .... could add Sam Taylor instead of CCJ to that list too

Oliver Florent signed on with Sydney for 5 years. Off the FA list.

Andrew McGrath and Ollie Florent off the market with both signing 6 & 5 year deals respectively.

Hilarious response devoid of logic ...
1) Allen did not play in 2018 because of tibia stress fracture he had when drafted
2) Chol played 30 games as a forward from 2019-2022
3) He started behind Kennedy and Darling at WCE during this period

4) Drafting Higgins over Allen was an epic fail .... could add Sam Taylor instead of CCJ to that list too
We took Balta and CCJ a few picks later

Dare say the club had an eye on the 3 of them with a plan to pick the two that made it through tacking 3 talls with our first 3 picks is bad list management as well because we also needed midfielders

Should also be noted that we needed a young ruck at the time with Soldo still an unknown and CCJ was the best ruck in that draft at the time

No point trying to be an armchair expert and apply new information that didn’t exist at the time because at the time we were all absolutely wrapped with the players picked in that draft

We took Balta and CCJ a few picks later

Dare say the club had an eye on the 3 of them with a plan to pick the two that made it through tacking 3 talls with our first 3 picks is bad list management as well because we also needed midfielders

Should also be noted that we needed a young ruck at the time with Soldo still an unknown and CCJ was the best ruck in that draft at the time

No point trying to be an armchair expert and apply new information that didn’t exist at the time because at the time we were all absolutely wrapped with the players picked in that draft
Terrible decision too take Tambling over Buddy.
How easy is hindsight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back