Summer Tokyo 2021 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

Hicham was clearly on the gear. Every single one of his training partners were done. A case of being too big for the sport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my best friends was a borderline Olympian in that era for GB in middle distance. Said it was known by everyone that every runner was on the gear from Morocco, Kenya, Algeria. He says everyone across all running events was almost certainly doping if they made a final in 96/00/04. He said he had a choice between maybe making a semi-final and not making the team at all, and chose the latter.

Oz Athletics team finishes 10th under the World Athletics Placings Table.

I'd rather finish 12th like Italy with 5 gold medals worth 40pts for those, but it gives you an idea of the spread of top 8 efforts with 14 for 3 medals a silver and 2 bronzes with Matthew Denny's 4th being 5 cms from a bronze and Brandon Starc 2 cms from a bronze ( and Kelsey-Lee Barber being 6cms from turning bronze in silver). Eleanor Patterson was 4 cms off sharing a bronze.

Last four top 10 finishes
2000 10th 53 pts ( the biggest aths teams sent to a games with 87)
1984 9th 53 pts eastern bloc boycotted
1972 10th 29 pts
1968 5th 76 pts
2 Golds Ralph Doubell 800m and Maureen Caird in 80m hurdles, 3 Silvers to Pam Kilborn 80m hurdles, Raelene Boyle 200m and Peter Norman 200m, 1 Bronze to jenny Lamy 200m. 6 medals in Mexico City is the last time Oz won more than 4 athletics medals at an Olympics. Apart from the disaster that was the Montreal Olympics for the entire Oz Olympic team, Oz has won at least 1 medal at an Olympics since WWII.

Every Olympics between 1948 and 1964 Oz finished top 10 as most of the western nations and eastern bloc were recovering from WWII and the Jamaican and Africans didn't take athletics seriously or have the funds to do so.

View attachment 1199485

Mildly surprised to see GB end up with no gold medals.

Thanks for all your work and it's been a great Olympics. Pleasure posting with you REH!

Mildly surprised to see GB end up with no gold medals.

Thanks for all your work and it's been a great Olympics. Pleasure posting with you REH!
No worries it's been a fun Olympics discussing athletics in this thread with you and all the others, FP.

And great to finally see Oz athletics doing lots of PBs and being in serious contention for medals.

Tamsyn did great especially when no Aussies were in the race, like women's 10k. Great knowledge & insight.
She's brilliant. Just got a natural enthusiasm for her sport and so much knowledge about athletes to help a viewer feel more engaged watching what going on.
The little tidbits like learning about how guy representing Netherlands had to prove he lived there as a youngster at school to be allowed to go back there is super. Which only added to the experience as a viewer to understand why he was encouraging the guy from 4th representing a different country but both got similar backgrounds to run harder at the end to steal bronze medal whilst he was grabbing silver himself.
Just awesome.
These three commentators have killed it at the Athletics.
If only the football commentators on same channel were anywhere near this good.

23 nations won a gold medal and 43 won a medal across 48 events.

49 golds and 47 silvers awarded because of tie in men's HJ for Gold.

7 gold medals (ignoring Marion Jones being stripped of 3 in 2000) is lowest by USA since 1976 and 1972 when they won 6.

7 gold medals (ignoring Marion Jones being stripped of 3 in 2000) is lowest by USA since 1976 and 1972 when they won 6.

Luck, drop in talent, rise in talent from other nations, or all of the above?

It's great to see nations like Burkina Faso and India picking up first medals in the track and field.

One of my best friends was a borderline Olympian in that era for GB in middle distance. Said it was known by everyone that every runner was on the gear from Morocco, Kenya, Algeria. He says everyone across all running events was almost certainly doping if they made a final in 96/00/04. He said he had a choice between maybe making a semi-final and not making the team at all, and chose the latter.
Aquita was quietly booted off the AIS for suggesting to an AUS athlete, theres' more than one way to skin a cat

Luck, drop in talent, rise in talent from other nations, or all of the above?

It's great to see nations like Burkina Faso and India picking up first medals in the track and field.
All of the above, but relay stuff ups cost them two gold medals, men's 4x100m and 4x400m mixed.

USA still won 26 medals. Their range since 1992 games ie after Berlin wall came down and USSR collapsed has been lowest 23 in Atlanta with 13 golds and most 32 medals and 13 golds in Rio.

Sydney Olympics the current adjusted total is 7-4-5 = 16, Marion Jones was stripped of her 3 golds and 2 bronzes for admitting to doping, Anthony Pettigrew was done for retesting a sample and the 4x400m guys were stripped of their gold and one or two other medals were stripped for doping.

She's brilliant. Just got a natural enthusiasm for her sport and so much knowledge about athletes to help a viewer feel more engaged watching what going on.
The little tidbits like learning about how guy representing Netherlands had to prove he lived there as a youngster at school to be allowed to go back there is super. Which only added to the experience as a viewer to understand why he was encouraging the guy from 4th representing a different country but both got similar backgrounds to run harder at the end to steal bronze medal whilst he was grabbing silver himself.
Just awesome.
These three commentators have killed it at the Athletics.
If only the football commentators on same channel were anywhere near this good.
Watching the athletics this week got me thinking - can Tamsyn call AFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicola McDermott's score sheet of the jumps

1628396690706.png

Watching the athletics this week got me thinking - can Tamsyn call AFL?
Start her off with AFLW in January. She will have more stories than Dwayne Russell tries to get in.

In a couple of posts in different threads, I quoted from wiki page re Russian athletes/olympians representing ROC or Russian Olympic Committee and not Russia and said Seb Coe and World Athletics said they had to be called ANA Authorised Neutral Athletes.

I said it looks like IOC overruled them and allowed they to be called representing ROC. World Athletics only let 10 athletes from Russia compete, all who had to prove they were clean, whereas other sporting federations and IOC weren't as firm.

I didn't pick this up during the Olympics but World Athletics uses ANA on their websites medals table and placings table.

1628840043483.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back