Summer Tokyo 2021 Day 16 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We normally get lots of shots of the flame taking pride of place in the main stadium during the athletics but I don’t recall seeing it.

Hate the moment the flame goes out.
There is a rule the flame had to be visible to the public for the duration of the games so after the opening ceremony they moved it to a footbridge where everyone could see it. They couldn't put it on the roof because of the wood construction used.

i particularly liked the part where he thanked the volunteers slaves that were so important in making the olympics happen.
You need to look up the definition of volunteer. Having spoken to many volunteers in London and Rio, they loved being a part of the Olympics and helping to make it happen.

Well in the end this has been a fun two weeks! I didn't know what to expect after that underwhelming opening ceremony with the no crowds, the masks and all but overall I highly enjoyed these games and yes its always sad when they end.

Thankfully we only have another six months till the Winter Olympics where we do it all again and Paris is just three years away now! Hopefully no more rescheduling.

See you all in the Beijing 2022 thread.

You need to look up the definition of volunteer. Having spoken to many volunteers in London and Rio, they loved being a part of the Olympics and helping to make it happen.
its slave labor. they only use 'volunteers' because they know they can. if noone volunteered, they would absolutely need to pay people to do the jobs. the ioc and olympics are a big money international event, not some local community organisation.

Soaking this up. I’ve found myself watching NBC Olympic montages for the last hour, went as far back as Athens. Will whip some Olympic DVD’s out tomorrow night I think.

Speaking of which: I hope that there will be these Games on DVD and you get to choose which broadcaster you'd like to listen to.

Im not crazy about Winter Games but will be hype for Qatar late next year

Since we had the echidna, kooka and platy in 2000, in 2032 maybe a cheeky croc, snotty cassowary and sleepy koala, cane toad for the jokey wombat, clownfish/indigenous type aesthetic, curlew call theme to mark solemn occasions, new sport: surf lifesaving, freediving, birder-cathlon

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The marathon holds a special place in the Olympics. The Ultimate endurance event with its history based on ancient Greece

now for the speeches. Wonder what the Paris preview will be like. Can't wait for France to host the Olympics.

France will be rather underwhelming, Japan feels warm, humble and inviting, France feels much colder and more arrogant. I could feel it from the screen. Plus the time diff in Aus.

France will be rather underwhelming, Japan feels warm, humble and inviting, France feels much colder and more arrogant. I could feel it from the screen. Plus the time diff in Aus.
the japanese are an incredibly welcoming and kind people who will do everything they can to make sure everyone is welcome and that everything runs smoothly and efficiently. they take it personally if anything they do goes slightly wrong and causes any inconvenience. Thats not an exaggeration.

the french have....a different opinion

the japanese are an incredibly welcoming and kind people who will do everything they can to make sure everyone is welcome and that everything runs smoothly and efficiently. they take it personally if anything they do goes slightly wrong and causes any inconvenience. Thats not an exaggeration.

the french have....a different opinion
If France's efforts in wartime are any guide the volunteers will be in full blown mutiny by Day 8

Grabbed a sneak peek at the CC and wow what about the glowing rings lite show.
Memo to our marching attire designers. Please use some more imagination for future Games. Also AOC dump Asics as our competition uniform provider. There is simply not one iota of style in any of them. An insult also to Aussie sports attire maker Classic.
They probably went for cheapest particular as money was tight .

That ended suddenly. I thought it was finishing up at midnight.

geech, been a fun 18 days or so. So, what happened in AFL in the last 3 weeks, need to catch up.
Certainly nothing of note has happened with my club. Nope, nothing interesting at all. Best to not even worry about catching-up and just go forward from this point.

Last edited:
Don't think Paris will be good for our time zone, think there reverting to night finals which will start 3am AEST.

i hope they do on day 1 so they can get paid instead of taken advantage of for free (slave) labor.
Stop equating slave labor with Olympic volunteers. It's incredibly disrespectful to those who actually are in slave labor. You've raised your point numerous times now.

Olympic volunteers are not slaves. They CHOOSE to be volunteers knowing they won't be paid.

Stop equating slave labor with Olympic volunteers. It's incredibly disrespectful to those who actually are in slave labor. You've raised your point numerous times now.

Olympic volunteers are not slaves. They CHOOSE to be volunteers knowing they won't be paid.

I volunteered at both the Olympics in Sydney in 2000, and also the Comm Games in Melbourne in 2006, and I was very happy with the experience. Just being there in the thick of it was payment enough for me. There are some things that money just can’t buy, and for me, volunteering my time at a major international sporting event was one of them. I’d do it again in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back