Summer Tokyo 2021 Day 11 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A simply wonderful performance from the French in sets 4 and 5. Unstoppable volleyball.

The Polish version of bigfooty would now have members calling out what a choke ;)

In all seriousness, that was some amazing play by the French. Feel very bad for the poles, volleyball is a huge and important sport in the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My first viewing of volleyball. Leaving it until the business end.

Just looked up this Leon bloke. Interesting back story.

All four left from Pool B.

Well, didn’t expect that. Incredible stuff from France. Poland visibly had no answers late stages 4th/5th, France’s defence was just too good. Seemed to be blocking everything toward the end.

I like France to make the gold medal match now. Argentina barely scraped into the QF stage, they looked good against Italy today but arguably their best player got injured. Defending like that, France will hard to stop. Brazil/ROC will be intense.

A simply wonderful performance from the French in sets 4 and 5. Unstoppable volleyball.

The Polish version of bigfooty would now have members calling out what a choke ;)

In all seriousness, that was some amazing play by the French. Feel very bad for the poles, volleyball is a huge and important sport in the country.
Given the amount of times they served into the net in the last set, they may be on to something. Still, France were unplayable.

This is usually my favourite day of the Olympics. It's the day the men's quarter final matches are on in the handball, volleyball and basketball. Just sport at its most elite level with so much to play for. It always delivers every Olympics.

The Poles are devastated and I feel for them.

So with that finish comes the end of day 11:

Kookaburras into the gold medal match v Belgium
Boomers into the semi final match v USA
Our beach volleyball girls into the semi final match v Latvia
Harry Garside into the semi final bout v the cuban

Truly a red letter day in Olympic history for our country. The second week, for the first time in a long time, is actually going to produce a tonne of medals

Well, didn’t expect that. Incredible stuff from France. Poland visibly had no answers late stages 4th/5th, France’s defence was just too good. Seemed to be blocking everything toward the end.

I like France to make the gold medal match now. Argentina barely scraped into the QF stage, they looked good against Italy today but arguably their best player got injured. Defending like that, France will hard to stop. Brazil/ROC will be intense.

Looking at the prelim results ... Argentina beat France and almost beat Brazil. Seems like they would have a good chance?

As far as I can tell, 5 out of the top 6 teams heading into the tournament were in Pool B (i.e. all of them except Poland). And that's how the quarters turned out. Perhaps Poland were not hardened due to all their games being against relatively weak opposition. Really weird pool setup. It would be like having the basketball and putting USA, France, Spain, Italy, Slovenia in one pool, and Australia in another pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back